Newmont Mining Corporation is a leading global gold producer with key assets in Nevada, Peru, Australia, Ghana and Suriname.
Newmont’s Africa Operations holds two gold mining operations in Ghana: the Ahafo Mine located in the Brong-Ahafo region and the Akyem Mine located in the Eastern region. There is also near mine exploration and development focus in Ghana to annually replace gold reserves. Newmont Africa also has early-stage exploration programs in the African countries of Ethiopia and Morocco.
Our Africa operations employ approximately 5,900 employees and contractors, with the majority working at the Ahafo Mine. We offer an unparalleled blend of opportunity and career satisfaction with all the benefits you would expect from a global company. This, combined with our growth opportunities, makes Newmont a great company to work.
Our Akyem and Ahafo mines have made significant sustainable community development investments in our host communities. These include establishing Development Funds at our Akyem and Ahafo operational areas with each mine contributing US$1 per ounce of gold sold and 1% of net pre-tax annual profit into its community development fund.
The only gold company listed in the S&P 500 index, Newmont in 2007 became the first gold company selected to be part of the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index. Newmont’s industry leading performance is reflected through our Africa operations’ high standards in environmental management, health and safety for our workforce and creating value and opportunity for our employees, host communities and Newmont’s shareholders.
Job Title: Project Engineer I
Plans, conducts, and leads studies including risk management; value improving practices; alternatives evaluation; design; engineering; procurement; and cost/scheduling. Responsible for the leadership of consultants and business teams to complete work within time and cost parameters and fit for purpose. Leads peer review teams, develops peer review summary reports and presents peer review results to Newmont Management.
Provides Subject Matter Expertise (SME) in at least one major area relevant to Newmont’s core business and provides global engineering, project management and SME services in support of capital development projects across all stages, as well as operations and closure support.
Project Engineering and Project Management Services
- Supports projects in all stages of execution as well as M&A activities, operations, regional project teams and closure
- Development of standards, processes, systems and procedures to meet NMC global and regional specific requirements and objectives, and audit and oversight of compliance with agreed standardization; inclusive of the EPC(M) component of project development
- Supports the ongoing development of the deliverables and improvement of the stage gate process
- Supports the development, implementation and management of the project development portal and knowledge management program required to effectively manage all project information.
- Supports Value Improving Practices and risk and process hazard reviews on projects
- Coordinates strategic spares and purchasing synergies between projects in conjunction with SCM
- Supports development of project engineers, study managers and engineering managers between Projects and Corporate pool
- Supports the development of the Project Management Guidebook, supports the development of “Fit for Purpose” design standards and supports efforts to promote “Standard Plant Designs”.
Peer Review Management:
- Leads peer review teams
- Ensures peer reviews are applied consistently across Newmont’s portfolio of projects
- Monitors functional peer review performance
- Educates, trains and mentors functional peer review teams in peer review procedures and Stage-Gate processes
- Drives and coordinates creation of business objectives and business cases.
- Facilitates interaction of project team and management
- Manages tension between project team and peer review functional groups and management
- Prepares peer review summary report for management presentation
Subject Matter Expert:
- Provides corporate Subject Matter Expertise and knowledge in at least one major discipline relevant to Newmont’s core business
- Supports projects and operations globally as an SME
- Drives company-wide development of Best Practices within SME area
- Provides SME peer reviews
- Manages and coordinates SMEs external to Newmont as required to provide effective support
Training & Experience
- Bachelor of Science degree in an applicable Engineering discipline
- A minimum of 8 years project engineering management experience including experience with Greenfield and international projects, or an equivalent combination of training and experience are necessary.
- A minimum of 8 years’ experience in a SME area related to project development.
- Experience in operations practices and standards, environmental, community relations is preferred.
Skills and Abilities:
- The incumbent will possess the personal qualities of professional leadership, superior intellectual capacity, sound judgement, strong interpersonal skills and business savvy.
- Ability to think strategically; comfortable moving between strategic and tactical is a requirement of the role.
- Ability to influence and drive change.
- Ability to mentor, coach and direct workgroup by establishing stretch goals for development of staff and promotion of quality study and project management.
- Ability to consult, listens, and provides superior customer service to be an effective service provider.
- Requires excellent oral and written communications skills, in order to effectively convey process and workflow concepts, automation concepts, and expected results to both subordinates and management
- Position is located at Akyem with travel required to the regions Engineer’s office sites as necessary to support projects, project development business objectives as well as operations and closure support.
- The position requires effective leadership and performance management in a dynamic multitasking environment.
Our business success comes from the accomplishments and well-being of our employees and contractors. Our goal is to build a workplace culture that fosters leaders and allows every person to thrive, contribute, and grow. We are committed to selecting and developing our employees, and to establishing a work environment where everyone can take an active part in reaching our strategic goals while feeling a sense of pride in working at Newmont.