Newmont Mining Corporation is a leading global gold producer with key assets in Nevada, Peru, Australia, Ghana and Suriname.
Newmont’s Africa Operations holds two gold mining operations in Ghana: the Ahafo Mine located in the Brong-Ahafo region and the Akyem Mine located in the Eastern region. There is also near mine exploration and development focus in Ghana to annually replace gold reserves. Newmont Africa also has early-stage exploration programs in the African countries of Ethiopia and Morocco.
Our Africa operations employ approximately 5,900 employees and contractors, with the majority working at the Ahafo Mine. We offer an unparalleled blend of opportunity and career satisfaction with all the benefits you would expect from a global company. This, combined with our growth opportunities, makes Newmont a great company to work.
Our Akyem and Ahafo mines have made significant sustainable community development investments in our host communities. These include establishing Development Funds at our Akyem and Ahafo operational areas with each mine contributing US$1 per ounce of gold sold and 1% of net pre-tax annual profit into its community development fund.
The only gold company listed in the S&P 500 index, Newmont in 2007 became the first gold company selected to be part of the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index. Newmont’s industry leading performance is reflected through our Africa operations’ high standards in environmental management, health and safety for our workforce and creating value and opportunity for our employees, host communities and Newmont’s shareholders.
Job Title: Survey Technician III
To contribute to and participate in providing a detailed survey and evaluation service, through the use of scientific survey tools and equipment, to retain optimum mining levels of the ore body and maintain the longevity of a continuous ore supply.
Health, Safety and Environment
- Deliver own prescribed outcomes and / or provide support services, by applying Newmont’s Health, Safety and Environment systems, policies and protocols.
- Assure that safety standards are adhered to.
- Attend monthly safety inspections and meetings.
Survey Data Calculation and Aggregation
- Compile obtained data from various sources to generate maps.
- Collect, measure, record and calculate survey work / field data based on readings obtained from instrumentation and channel inputs into designated systems.
- Check spatial data to verify the integrity and accuracy of data for QA / QC purposes.
- Plot the survey results emerging out of the spatial data.
- Work in conjunction with Surveyors, Geologists and Mine Engineers to confirm that data is accurately collected, presented and utilised.
- Assist Surveyors on the field to conduct and undertake the surveys works for the Mine.
- Maximise effective vehicle and product movements by undertaking routine surveys to measure movements to and from the mining pit and product stockpiles.
- Assist in other field work to contribute to other Mine requirements.
- Establish, operate and adjust equipment at surveying job sites.
- Insert flagging’s around pegs and tapes for blasted material by digging polygon boundaries.
- Control pit and / or bench limits through the picking and staking out of crests and pit boundaries.
- Place controls in the mining area by battering profiles and conducting highwall integrity checks.
- Assist in controlling pit / waste dump limits through the determination of line definitions and examination of problem areas.
- Operate field GPS, GIS and ArcGIS Equipment to determine as-built pickups for volume calculations and defining field points for the Mining Engineers.
- Inspect, adjust, test and monitor the performance of Survey equipment, GPS, GIS, ArcGIS and other related systems.
- Maintain and regularly calibrate surveying instruments and equipment to enable continuous and accurate operation of mining activities.
- Prepare topographic maps, aerial photo mosaics, and other custom land survey products, as required.
- Conduct quality assurance checks on surveys and provide recommendations on any technical issues encountered.
- Commit to attending scheduled training and play an active role on ones’ own ongoing professional development.
Survey Planning and Preparation
- Assist in the planning of field surveys for the Mine (i.e. Underground and Open Pit).
- Mark the location of new Mine works and set up reference points as benchmarks.
- Contribute to the preparation of detailed drawings, charts and Mine plans.
- Assist in the planning of routine maintenance and attend to any equipment variances that may arise.
- Lay out blast patterns (i.e. drill patterns, after-drill pick-ups and ore control polygons), prior to blasting activities.
- Assemble and disassemble markings, stakes and other signifiers at pre-determined survey locations.
Survey Outcome Reporting
- Compile survey notes and reports and deliver report outcomes to the Surveyor for final review and decision making.
Training & Experience
Formal Qualification (including Professional Registrations):
- Senior School Certificate Examination.
- Certification of completion in Survey related training.
- Competency training at Ghana Survey Skills.
- Sound knowledge of planning and scheduling.
- Sound knowledge of the work management process.
- Minimum 3 years’ experience in the Mine Surveying field within an Open Pit mining environment.
Our business success comes from the accomplishments and well-being of our employees and contractors. Our goal is to build a workplace culture that fosters leaders and allows every person to thrive, contribute, and grow. We are committed to selecting and developing our employees, and to establishing a work environment where everyone can take an active part in reaching our strategic goals while feeling a sense of pride in working at Newmont.