Newmont Mining Corporation is a leading global gold producer with key assets in Nevada, Peru, Australia, Ghana and Suriname.
Newmont’s Africa Operations holds two gold mining operations in Ghana: the Ahafo Mine located in the Brong-Ahafo region and the Akyem Mine located in the Eastern region. There is also near mine exploration and development focus in Ghana to annually replace gold reserves. Newmont Africa also has early-stage exploration programs in the African countries of Ethiopia and Morocco.
Our Africa operations employ approximately 5,900 employees and contractors, with the majority working at the Ahafo Mine. We offer an unparalleled blend of opportunity and career satisfaction with all the benefits you would expect from a global company. This, combined with our growth opportunities, makes Newmont a great company to work.
Our Akyem and Ahafo mines have made significant sustainable community development investments in our host communities. These include establishing Development Funds at our Akyem and Ahafo operational areas with each mine contributing US$1 per ounce of gold sold and 1% of net pre-tax annual profit into its community development fund.
The only gold company listed in the S&P 500 index, Newmont in 2007 became the first gold company selected to be part of the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index. Newmont’s industry leading performance is reflected through our Africa operations’ high standards in environmental management, health and safety for our workforce and creating value and opportunity for our employees, host communities and Newmont’s shareholders.
Job Title: Commercial Manager – Projects
To execute Newmont’s services strategy, policies and guidelines to drive shared goals and objectives across the entire Supply Chain, and to provide overall commercial management for major contracts. To enhance Newmont’s overall procurement capability through continuous improvement and development of the organisation. To support the team in identifying and capturing new enterprise spend areas to add value and drive cost savings.
Actively demonstrate the Newmont values of Safety, Integrity, Sustainability, Inclusion and responsibility at all times.
- Health and Safety – Facilitate supplier relationship management process for capital projects
Major Contracts Administration
- Provide overall commercial management for major contracts e.g. the Subika Underground Project/Operations.
- Provide oversight to the EPCM provider to ensure adherence to Newmont terms and conditions
- Support Project Commercial Director in delivery all commercial deliverables associated with the projects
- Collaborate with Supply Chain operation in business readiness process.
- Execute Newmont’s services strategy, policies and guidelines to drive shared goals and objectives across the entire Supply Chain:
- procure services and administration of contracts, primarily for high spend and / or high risk or identified as critical to the operation.
- Enhance Newmont’s overall procurement capability through continuous improvement and development of the organisation.
- Ensure all procurement packages are delivered on time , quality and cost
- Deliver on all local procurement requirements
- Support the team in identifying and capturing new enterprise spend areas to add value and drive cost savings.
- Providing capability development necessary for the efficient delivery of the projects
The above duties and responsibilities are representative of the nature and level of work assigned and are not necessarily all-inclusive.
Training & Experience
Formal Qualification (including Professional Registrations):
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business, Supply Chain, Accounting or Engineering related field or equivalent experience.
- Knowledge of SAP, Ellipse or equivalent enterprise level software packages is necessary.
- Knowledge of System Implementation methodology.
- Knowledge of Maintenance Planning.
- Supply Chain functional knowledge.
- Knowledge of P2P transactional processes.
- ERP/EAP System knowledge.
- Knowledge of local customs and regulations.
- Mining business acumen.
- Life Cycle Procurement and Contract Management Practitioner
- Supplier risk Management Process- Practioner
- Between 7 to 10 years of directly related project procurement experience or equivalent combination of training and experience are necessary.
- Mining experience preferred.
- Strong computer skills using office software such as Excel, Word, PowerPoint, and Visio.
- Advanced verbal and written communication skills.
- Analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Assessment and auditing skills.
- Administrative skills.
- Advanced interpersonal skills.
- Business analysis and development.
- Business continuity and modelling.
- Capacity planning.
- Change and claims / incident management.
- Coaching and mentoring.
- Commercial management.
- Conflict management.
- Consultation, counselling and facilitation skills.
- Contract drafting, growing and contract management.
- Corporate Governance.
- Decision making.
- Education and training.
- Entrepreneurial skills.
- Financial analysis.
- Interviewing skills.
- Leadership, motivation and negotiation skills.
- Needs analysis.
- Networking skills.
- Performance, portfolio and programme management.
- Personnel administration.
- Proposal writing.
- Quality and risk management.
- Relationship management.
- Research and reporting.
- Strategic and service management.
- Supply Chain management.
- Time management.
- Working condition management.
- Customer focused.
- Safety Conscious.
- Results Driven.
- Attention to Detail.
- Continuous Learning.
- Work Under Pressure.
- The incumbent is exposed to an environment where the need for detailed or precise work is extreme.
- The incumbent is exposed to extreme mental pressure and stress.