AECOM is a premier, fully integrated professional and technical services firm positioned to design, build, finance and operate infrastructure assets around the world for public- and private-sector clients. With nearly 100,000 employees — including architects, engineers, designers, planners, scientists and management and construction services professionals — serving clients in over 150 countries around the world, AECOM is ranked as the #1 engineering design firm by revenue in Engineering News-Record magazine’s annual industry rankings, and has been recognized by Fortune magazine as a World’s Most Admired Company. The firm is a leader in all of the key markets that it serves, including transportation, facilities, environmental, energy, oil and gas, water, high-rise buildings and government. AECOM provides a blend of global reach, local knowledge, innovation and technical excellence in delivering customized and creative solutions that meet the needs of clients’ projects. A Fortune 500 firm, AECOM companies, including URS Corporation and Hunt Construction Group, have annual revenue of approximately $19 billion. More information on AECOM and its services can be found at www.aecom.com.
About the Business Line
We provide professional services in areas such as aviation, transit, freight rail, highways and bridges, planning, and ports and marine. Our global network of top-tier specialists delivers comprehensive services over the full life cycle of a project to benefit clients in government and private industries.
Job Title: Design Engineer – Electrical
The DE-Electrical is part of the Project Management Consultant’s (PMC-AECOM) Design Management group and focuses on the Land Works sector of the programme.
The Land Works Consultant is preparing a FEED design forming the basis of the Port Infrastructure tender documents for appointment of a Design-Build Contractor to execute the Works.
The DE-Electrical assists with tender preparation and technical evaluation of tenders for the Design-Build contract; management / overview of the appointed Design-Build Contractor’s Infrastructure design; coordinates with design reviewers of other disciplines; and oversees the Design-Build Contractor’s Electrical designers.
The DE-Electrical also assists with electrical design issues arising for the Buildings and MV Power Distribution packages, and is involved with electrical interfaces between all packages.
Following completion of the design stage, the DE-Electrical may transfer into the Infrastructure construction team for supervision of the works on site, reporting to the Engineer’s Representative for Infrastructure.
Duties and Responsibilities:
TheDE-Electricalis responsible for:
- Reporting to the Design Manageror his delegate regarding the progress of the electrical design and issues and opportunities related to design.
- Reviewing project agreements/contracts/sub-contracts and understanding the design services requirements and AECOM’s role as the Project Management Consultant (PMC).
- Assisting with tendering for land works design-build contracts. The works will be tendered as a single design-build (FIDIC Yellow Book) contract. TheDE-Electrical assists the contracts team with preparation of tender documents and tender evaluation of from design and construction viewpoints.
- Reviewing Detail Designs for Electrical works. TheDE-Electrical comments, vets comments for appropriateness and clarity, and routes the comments back to the designer via the PMC review system. The scope of the PMC design reviews and audits consists of checks that the Employer’s mandatory requirements have been incorporated, that the documents have been checked according to the Contractor’s approved Quality system, and by the ICE where required, and that the designs are constructible and operable.
- Coordinating with the work of design reviewers of other disciplines from within the PMC and from Employer/stakeholder organisations.
- Assisting with managing the Infrastructure Consultant and Design-Build Contractor in accordance with their contracts with the Employer.
- Assisting the PMC Interface Manager to ensure that design and construction interfaces between the Infrastructure and Marine works, Buildings, MV Power Distribution packages are properly addressed.
- Supporting the PMC Engineer’s Representatives for Buildings and MV PowerDistribution with regard to Electrical aspects. Working as a team with the Design Engineers of other disciplines.
- Confirming that safety in design processes are implemented in all design services.
- Conducting design constructability assessments and value engineering assessments where required.
TheDE-Electricalalso supports the project controls team and contracts team in the following services:
- Baseline, current and forecast schedule position.
- Document control and information management
- Risk analysis both quantitative and qualitative including schedule and cost probability analysis.
- Preparing reports for use by project-level and senior management.
- Change and variation control.
- Schedule Delay analysis.
- Defining complex project changes.
- Minimum 10 years of experience in Electrical works infrastructure engineering design & construction environment.
- Minimum 5 years of experience on major infrastructure programme during construction phase.
- Minimum 5 years of experience in the employ of an engineering consulting firm.
- Experience in design of mains substations, generator back-up stations, MV distribution is an advantage.
- Experience in the employ of a construction contractor is an advantage.
Specific Skills required:
- Design of Electrical infrastructure including LV distribution systems, substations, high mast and other lighting, power supplies for pumping systems, pump houses, STP, etc. and building electrical works.
- Design consultancy or design-build contract administration.
- Value engineering workshop facilitation skills.
- Design constructability workshop facilitation skills.
- Risk identification, assessment and mitigation skills.
- Implementation of Safety in Design procedures.
- Focused on client delivery – attention to detail and quality with a capacity to work under pressure and meet deadlines.
- Empathy towards staff and colleagues – collaborative management style.
- Eligibility to work in Ghana due to nationality is a requirement.
- Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering.
- Member of professional organisation – Electrical Engineering.