Posted on :
18 Nov, 2020
18 Nov, 2020
Newmont Mining Corporation is a leading global gold producer with key assets in Nevada, Peru, Australia, Ghana and Suriname.
Newmont’s Africa Operations holds two gold mining operations in Ghana: the Ahafo Mine located in the Brong-Ahafo region and the Akyem Mine located in the Eastern region. There is also near mine exploration and development focus in Ghana to annually replace gold reserves. Newmont Africa also has early-stage exploration programs in the African countries of Ethiopia and Morocco.
Our Africa operations employ approximately 5,900 employees and contractors, with the majority working at the Ahafo Mine. We offer an unparalleled blend of opportunity and career satisfaction with all the benefits you would expect from a global company. This, combined with our growth opportunities, makes Newmont a great company to work.
Our Akyem and Ahafo mines have made significant sustainable community development investments in our host communities. These include establishing Development Funds at our Akyem and Ahafo operational areas with each mine contributing US$1 per ounce of gold sold and 1% of net pre-tax annual profit into its community development fund.
The only gold company listed in the S&P 500 index, Newmont in 2007 became the first gold company selected to be part of the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index. Newmont’s industry leading performance is reflected through our Africa operations’ high standards in environmental management, health and safety for our workforce and creating value and opportunity for our employees, host communities and Newmont’s shareholders.
Job Title: Control & Instrumentation Technician
ABOUT THIS ROLE:
To conduct control and instrumentation maintenance activities for the underground mine with the aims of ensuring equipment is maintained in a fit for purpose and safe condition, delivering optimum plant and equipment availability, minimizing unplanned maintenance tasks and reducing maintenance costs.
IN THIS ROLE, YOU WILL:
General Control and Instrumentation Maintenance duties
• Actively participate in control and instrumentation maintenance activities to ensure the provision of maintenance services that meet the business requirements of the underground mine.
• Perform servicing, maintenance and repair on all control and instrumentation equipment, in line with approved maintenance standards to achieve the required plant and equipment availability.
• Communicate with maintenance, operational and planning personnel to identify, plan, estimate and organise the proper labor, services, equipment and skills to ensure they are available as required.
• Communicate with the supervisor and maintenance planning to ensure that all the necessary maintenance parts, materials and supplies are available to maintain the underground mine and associated facilities.
• Work within strict quality standards and tolerance measures to support the maintenance function in terms of quality assurance.
• Assist with the development and review of the maintenance standard task procedures (STPs).
• Participate in continuous improvement programs which will assist in enhancing the performance of the mine.
• Assist with the coordination and execution of procedural and operational projects and changes within the underground mine infrastructure areas by following the change management procedure.
• Assist with the review and approval of all control and instrumentation drawings and schematics and make recommendations and modifications based on technical standards and procedures.
• Work in conjunction with the maintenance and planning teams to determine control and instrumentation maintenance backlogs and assist with equipment shutdown planning.
• Assist with the efficient management of spare parts, materials and consumables.
• Comply with the requirements for the proper use, storage and maintenance of company tooling.
• Maintain a high housekeeping standard in the maintenance work areas of underground mine infrastructure.
• Other tasks or duties within the individuals skill set as directed by the Supervisor, underground mine maintenance management or senior mine officials.
Control and Instrumentation Maintenance Management
• Perform control and instrumentation maintenance activities such as the installation, commissioning, maintenance, repair, inspection and decommissioning of plant and equipment in the underground mine and associated infrastructure in conjunction with the maintenance team.
• Conduct troubleshooting of all relevant control and instrumentation systems, ensuring there effective repair and reliable operation.
• Execute on all practical and technical work relevant to control and instrumentation systems and apparatus to ensure it is completed in a safe, timely and efficient manner.
• Work with operations and maintenance personnel to efficiently rectify plant and equipment breakdowns.
• Provide technical support and expert advice as required for work being conducted on any of the underground mine infrastructure ensuring safe work practices are followed.
• Assist the maintenance team, other departments and business partner personnel to resolve issues that will hinder the delivery of reliable and stable services to the underground mine that comply with the technical requirements of the business.
CONTINUATION OF IN THIS ROLE, YOU WILL:
Health and Safety Management
• Assist with the adherence of control and instrumentation maintenance to all HSLP, Environment and Social Responsibility requirements under Newmont’s Integrated Management System, Newmont vision and values.
• Assist with the compliance of all control and instrumentation apparatus, installations and related work to the requirements of the Mineral and Mining (Health, Safety and Technical) Regulation, LI 2182.
• Assist with the implementation of applicable health and safety regulations and compliance programs.
• Accept responsibility for one’s own health and safety.
• Attend periodic safety meetings, inspections and audits.
• Support and conduct risk assessments for tasks and provide expert advice on the safe operation and maintenance of control and instrumentation infrastructure.
• Actively promote safety in the workplace both within and external to the control and instrumentation maintenance team.
Communication and Information management
• Comply with the requirements for the responsible management of all documentation.
• Maintain records of all changes and modification to the process control system.
• Complete maintenance reports as required and distribute to the relevant personnel and mine officials.
• Attend shift handover and other meetings with the maintenance team and other departments and personnel as required ensuring that the appropriate information is gathered or disseminated.
• Participate in the development of asset management strategies for control and instrumentation apparatus and installations.
• Make recommendations to the Supervisor and other maintenance team members on areas of improvement.
• Facilitate communication for operations and outside departments relating to maintenance activities for equipment associated with the underground mine.
• Interface with operations, maintenance, planning and management to ensure the effective and efficient rectification of breakdowns.
• Communicate all relevant control and instrumentation maintenance requirements to the Supervisor and other relevant personnel.
• Enhance communication with staff through regular feedback, contact, reports, meetings and briefings, etc.
Training & Experience
Formal Qualification (including Professional Registrations):
• Electrical Engineering Technician II certificate or equivalent is required as a minimum.
• Post trade qualifications in a relevant field are highly desirable.
• Inspecting or Sectional Engineer Certificate of competency / MINCOM Certification is highly desirable.
• Should Mincom certification not be available then there must be a commitment to obtaining inspecting engineer certification in a reasonable timeframe.
• Demonstrable knowledge of mining or heavy industry maintenance practices, principles and standards.
• Knowledge of industrial work management processes.
• Knowledge of defect elimination methodologies and their interpretation.
• Working knowledge of PLC and SCADA control systems.
• Strong knowledge of process instrumentation.
• High level PC skills and computer literacy.
• Working knowledge of CMMS programs is desirable.
• Knowledge of planning and scheduling maintenance activities.
• Knowledge of the statutory regulations relevant to safety and the environment for the mining industry.
• Minimum of 3 years’ experience in process control and instrumentation.
• Proven experience with the installation, commissioning, maintenance, servicing, inspection and repair of control and instrumentation apparatus and installations in a large scale mining or heavy industry operation.
• CITECT Scada experience is highly desirable.
• Minimum of 1 years’ experience with the programming of Allen Bradley and / or SLC, Control logic programmable logic controllers.
• Underground mining experience is highly desirable.
• Ability to safely use hand and power tools.
• Analytical and problem-solving skills.
• Well-developed written and verbal communication and interpersonal skills.
• Computer literacy skills – MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook), CMMS/ERP and MS Project.
• Possess good time management and task prioritisation skills.
• Be experienced with document management.
• Willingness and ability to learn new skills.
• Ability to provide management and support staff with clear and detailed information.
• Ability to use maintenance planning tools (i.e. SAP).
• Ability to interpret electrical schematics, technical engineering drawings, standards, specification and manuals.
• Safety conscious.
• Methodical and logical.
• Display initiative.
• Neat, tidy and well organised.
• Results orientated.
• Be able to work to deadlines.
• Flexible in the approach to work.
• Lateral thinking.
• Deliver work to a high standard of quality.