Newmont Mining Corporation is a leading global gold producer with key assets in Nevada, Peru, Australia, Ghana and Suriname.
Newmont’s Africa Operations holds two gold mining operations in Ghana: the Ahafo Mine located in the Brong-Ahafo region and the Akyem Mine located in the Eastern region. There is also near mine exploration and development focus in Ghana to annually replace gold reserves. Newmont Africa also has early-stage exploration programs in the African countries of Ethiopia and Morocco.
Our Africa operations employ approximately 5,900 employees and contractors, with the majority working at the Ahafo Mine. We offer an unparalleled blend of opportunity and career satisfaction with all the benefits you would expect from a global company. This, combined with our growth opportunities, makes Newmont a great company to work.
Our Akyem and Ahafo mines have made significant sustainable community development investments in our host communities. These include establishing Development Funds at our Akyem and Ahafo operational areas with each mine contributing US$1 per ounce of gold sold and 1% of net pre-tax annual profit into its community development fund.
The only gold company listed in the S&P 500 index, Newmont in 2007 became the first gold company selected to be part of the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index. Newmont’s industry leading performance is reflected through our Africa operations’ high standards in environmental management, health and safety for our workforce and creating value and opportunity for our employees, host communities and Newmont’s shareholders.
Job Title: Project Director
- Provide single point accountability and leadership to major capital projects from Stage 1 through Stage 4 (Execution and Operations). Provide high quality and innovative business case evaluations and recommendations to Senior Management. Project management will be primarily of large projects and involve high degree of complexity and/or risk.
- Advise Regional and Executive Management on project viability, risks, opportunities, and recommended path forward.
- Lead projects safety within schedule and budget.
Management and Planning
- Provide leadership to major capital Projects from Stage 1 through Stage 4 including single point accountability for development and execution of all aspects of a reliable Business Case.
- Duties include identifying the project team to develop and to execute the scope, budget, schedule and execution plan.
- Provide reliable cross functional business case evaluations and recommendations to Senior Management.
- Development of project options and business cases, employing the Newmont Investment System and industry best practice.
- Responsibility will focus on organization and management of cross functional teams with members from across the Newmont organization, contractors and JV partners.
- Strong project leadership and management skills from a broad scope of cross functional experience/expertise are essential.
- Execute the project safely within schedule and budget
- Develop industry best practice Business Case for Stage 1 through Stage 4 projects anywhere on the globe in a variety of commodities considering all cross functional elements. The well-developed Business Cases will drive correct corporate business decisions and ultimate project success.
- Develop collaborative working relationships with Functional Leads from all areas of the corporation
- The position reports to the Regional Project Director- Africa.
- The Project Director will be leading teams that leverage resources from across the Newmont organization, including senior professionals in geology, engineering, met/process, project development, ESR, Land, Legal, Financial Evaluation, Tax, HSLP, Treasury, Supply Chain, Security, etc. During Stage 4 the Project Director will lead the EPCM team responsible for execution and Owner’s team responsible for Operations of the project.
- Developing productive team relationships with these diverse team members is a critical component of the role.
- Single point accountability for Stage1 through Stage 4 Projects.
- Developing strong and productive team relationships with cross functional members across the organization and EPCM.
- Managing the change process involved in implementing best practice (Stage Gate) on a project by project basis.
- Resolve conflict between project, peer team members, customers and EPCM.
- Influencing Newmont global senior management and technical staff to develop new business opportunities that create value.
- Drive innovation.
Become familiar with and strictly adhere to Newmont’s Health, Safety and Environmental standards. Act as a role model in complying with and supporting these standards and practices.
The above duties and responsibilities are representative of the nature and level of work assigned and are not necessarily all-inclusive.
Training & Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree+15 year experience including Brownfields and international projects OR equivalent combination of the experience and training that provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities.
- Proven ability to understand and be able to synthesize cross functional information from functions including geology, metallurgy/process, mine engineering, geostatistical modeling, operations, projects, information technology, tax, treasury, financials, environmental, social, political, land, legal, human resources, supply chain, security, EPCM and overall project management on 1 to 2 complex evaluations at one time.
- Proven ability work within and understand other cultures, including language skills.
- Ability to think out of the box, drive-innovation, and hold large cross functional teams accountable for results and recommendations that drive critical corporate decisions.
- Ability to communicate complex information in varying forms (verbal, presentation, report) to audiences ranging from technical team members to VP level business co-sponsors.
Skills and Abilities:
- Strong leadership ability to set vision and direction for individual evaluations.
- A proven track record in project development and value generation.
- Proven ability to lead and motivate diverse cross functional team members from different cultures, think innovatively, execute projects, communicate effectively and deliver results.
- Proven ability to justify, budget, execute and manage large programs.
- Proven ability to work with hourly labor, contracted technical experts, drill contractors, local and corporate technical staff in global settings.
- Experience in wide variety of projects, with varying financial drivers, varying project risks and project costs.
- Must be able to evaluate potential projects and develop and present presentations for senior executives which are accurate and concise and clearly identify risk/opportunity.
- The position is located at the Ahafo mine site in Ghana, Africa.
- The position requires effective leadership and performance management in a dynamic multitasking environment.
- The position requires excellent oral and written communications skills, in order to effectively convey process and workflow concepts, automation concepts, and expected results to both subordinates and management. Knowledge of open pit and underground mining operations
Our business success comes from the accomplishments and well-being of our employees and contractors. Our goal is to build a workplace culture that fosters leaders and allows every person to thrive, contribute, and grow. We are committed to selecting and developing our employees, and to establishing a work environment where everyone can take an active part in reaching our strategic goals while feeling a sense of pride in working at Newmont.