Newmont Mining Corporation is a leading global gold producer with key assets in Nevada, Peru, Australia, Ghana and Suriname.
Newmont’s Africa Operations holds two gold mining operations in Ghana: the Ahafo Mine located in the Brong-Ahafo region and the Akyem Mine located in the Eastern region. There is also near mine exploration and development focus in Ghana to annually replace gold reserves. Newmont Africa also has early-stage exploration programs in the African countries of Ethiopia and Morocco.
Our Africa operations employ approximately 5,900 employees and contractors, with the majority working at the Ahafo Mine. We offer an unparalleled blend of opportunity and career satisfaction with all the benefits you would expect from a global company. This, combined with our growth opportunities, makes Newmont a great company to work.
Our Akyem and Ahafo mines have made significant sustainable community development investments in our host communities. These include establishing Development Funds at our Akyem and Ahafo operational areas with each mine contributing US$1 per ounce of gold sold and 1% of net pre-tax annual profit into its community development fund.
The only gold company listed in the S&P 500 index, Newmont in 2007 became the first gold company selected to be part of the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index. Newmont’s industry leading performance is reflected through our Africa operations’ high standards in environmental management, health and safety for our workforce and creating value and opportunity for our employees, host communities and Newmont’s shareholders.
Job Title: Security Investigator
Manage, administrate and coordinate Security related investigations at Newmont- Akyem and liaise with judicial and Government Security agencies.
- Become familiar with and strictly adhere to Newmont’s Health, Safety and Environmental standards. Act as a role model in complying with and supporting these standards and practices.Contribute to the identification and development of Akyem security contract tender specifications and performance requirements and measures.
- Manage the Investigations aspect of the outsourced security contract including execution of security tasks to the appropriate standard of investigative and analytical functions.
- Track contractor performance as per SLA and manage any non-conformance and performance.
- Conduct Security presentations for company personnel, contractors and contracted Security Force employees.
- Communicate security problems or unusual events to Site Security Manager.
- Conduct investigations into theft, fraud, malicious damage, robbery and other transgressions by and against NGRL employees at Akyem mining operations.
- Prepare reports on on-going and completed investigations and make recommendations to Management for further action.
- Perform computer database searches to quickly obtain information on record, make and verify potential connotations.
- Provide advice and guidance on investigation security matters to company personnel, contractors and sponsored dependents
- Acts as coordination point in emergency situations by staying apprised of Rapid Response System activities, monitoring emergency activities and responding as outlined in company procedure.
- Participate in legal proceedings by preparing evidence and presenting testimony in courts of law.
- Provide information and evidence for the legal counsel supporting the prosecution.
- Act as key witness in prosecution cases.
- N all company witnesses are notified of court attendance.
- Ensure investigation reports are completed timely and submitted.
- Liaise with the law enforcement agencies e.g. Police and Military when necessary.
- Liaise with members of judicial system and act as Newmont representative in court hearings.
- Manage and conduct background checks on all resources (permanent and contractor) to limit risk to the mine.
- Prepare, perform analyses, and prepare a consolidated monthly report for review by the Security Manager for further distribution and filing.
- Review security related documents to provide advice on, and interpretation of matters contained therein
- Maintain confidential records of current and past investigation documents.
- Collect, preserve and document all evidence and specimens relating to an investigation to be used in legal or other proceedings
- Assist the security manager in developing operating budgets for the security department.
- Drive safety culture in all aspects of security operations.
- Ensure that safety, security and environmental inspection are completed as required.
Training & Experience
- Must have a Professional Diploma in Security.
- CDP preferable.
- Knowledge of gold plant security
- Knowledge and experience with electronic security systems is recommended.
- Knowledge of English language, written and spoken, is required.
- Knowledge of informatics systems is required.
- Working knowledge of Ghana Criminal and Mine related Laws.
- Knowledge of vendors and suppliers applicable to the department.
- Knowledge of internal administration and communication processes, procedures and systems.
- Minimum of 10 years’ experience in government or Private investigation institutions e.g. Police or Private Security firm.
- Experience in public security services is preferable.
- Prior experience working with an expatriate work force.
- Strong Supervisory and Management experience.
- Must have a strong administrative background and functioning knowledge of procurement, budgeting and reporting.
- Must possess high level of investigative skills.
- Excellent oral and written communications skills, in order to effectively convey investigation reports and recommendations to Management.
- Good interpersonal and organizational skills.
- Strong PC Skills, including MS Office, Word Excel, Power Point and outlook applications.
- Ability to deliver written reports with applicable statistics.
Our business success comes from the accomplishments and well-being of our employees and contractors. Our goal is to build a workplace culture that fosters leaders and allows every person to thrive, contribute, and grow. We are committed to selecting and developing our employees, and to establishing a work environment where everyone can take an active part in reaching our strategic goals while feeling a sense of pride in working at Newmont