Newmont Mining Corporation is a leading global gold producer with key assets in Nevada, Peru, Australia, Ghana and Suriname.
Newmont’s Africa Operations holds two gold mining operations in Ghana: the Ahafo Mine located in the Brong-Ahafo region and the Akyem Mine located in the Eastern region. There is also near mine exploration and development focus in Ghana to annually replace gold reserves. Newmont Africa also has early-stage exploration programs in the African countries of Ethiopia and Morocco.
Our Africa operations employ approximately 5,900 employees and contractors, with the majority working at the Ahafo Mine. We offer an unparalleled blend of opportunity and career satisfaction with all the benefits you would expect from a global company. This, combined with our growth opportunities, makes Newmont a great company to work.
Our Akyem and Ahafo mines have made significant sustainable community development investments in our host communities. These include establishing Development Funds at our Akyem and Ahafo operational areas with each mine contributing US$1 per ounce of gold sold and 1% of net pre-tax annual profit into its community development fund.
The only gold company listed in the S&P 500 index, Newmont in 2007 became the first gold company selected to be part of the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index. Newmont’s industry leading performance is reflected through our Africa operations’ high standards in environmental management, health and safety for our workforce and creating value and opportunity for our employees, host communities and Newmont’s shareholders.
Job Title: Senior Ventilation Engineer
The purpose of the role is to ensure that safe ventilated working conditions are met in compliance with Newmont and government minimum standards. Responsible for the design, evaluation, monitoring and implementation of the ventilation strategy in compliance with the business plan. Train and develop a pool of certified ventilation engineers for the Africa Region.
1. Ventilation System Management
- Responsible for primary ventilation monitoring and advise on limitations.
- Consulting on the sequence of underground work activities based on air limitations at any point in time.
- Manage all underground air quality and quantity surveys and advise on solutions to address non-compliance
- Advise on ventilation requirements and solutions to meet the budget, 12-week forecasts and weekly plans
- Determine the type and size of fans required for the ventilation systems to operate at an optimal level and oversee the general arrangement of fans and ventilation ducts.
- Develop an underground ventilation strategy in accordance with the business plan.
- Calculate and inform on the re-entry time into the underground mine after a blast for staff safety purposes.
- Maintain awareness on any activities or events that will compromise the ventilation system.
- Advise on modified work conditions based on ventilation limitations.
- Evaluate and propose optimum ventilation engineering solutions for problematic situations (based on accumulated data/information) which threaten the achievement of planned objectives.
2. Reporting and Compliance
- Statutory reporting and simulation of the underground environmental conditions.
- Prepare departmental ventilation reports timely and accurately to meet departmental requirements, policies and quality standards.
3. Continuous Improvement
- Investigates, analyses, approve and implement benchmarked systems.
- Stay abreast with new technology in specialist field.
- Communicate and obtain buy-in for implementation plans, new systems and processes.
- Investigate complex engineering ventilation problems and develop solutions for the optimization of ventilation processes / systems.
- Participate in the identification of opportunities for continuous improvement and sustainability of systems, processes and practices considering global standards, productivity improvement and cost reduction.
4. Safety Health and Environment
- Raising, discussion and resolution of safety issues at regular meetings.
- Maintenance of a high standard of efficiency, safety and effectiveness.
- Identification of potential hazards and action that is appropriately taken.
- Demonstrate personal commitment regarding safety and environmental practices.
- Actively participate in all Newmont Ghana safety and environmental systems and initiatives.
- Participate and contribute to safe practice and environmental awareness.
5. Staff Supervision
- Provide specialist technical advice to the team in areas of competence.
- Work collaboratively with mine production and geology departments and assist other functional areas to achieve their objectives.
- Support team members in their personal development.
- Work collaboratively with Projects team to develop and implement training plans for all junior ventilation engineers to build a bench strength of certified ventilation engineers.
- Develop, coach, and motivate counterparts through on the Job Training and other form of trainings to enhance skill, knowledge and capability of junior counterparts.
Training & Experience
- Proficient in Ventsim, and Microsoft Office Software.
- Proficient in the use of mine planning software
- Advanced communication (written and verbal) and interpersonal skills.
- Advanced analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Advanced administrative skills.
- Preferred previous experience in supervising a team
- Preferred 5 years of previous experience in ventilation engineering
- Preferred a minimum of 2 years’ experience in underground mining operational time such as blasting, drilling, haulage and service crew works.
- 10 years working in an underground mining environment of this;
- Strong understanding of Underground Mining Systems and Operations.
- Strong knowledge in Underground Mine Ventilation.
- Bachelors’ degree in Mining Engineering