Newmont Mining Corporation is a leading global gold producer with key assets in Nevada, Peru, Australia, Ghana and Suriname.
Newmont’s Africa Operations holds two gold mining operations in Ghana: the Ahafo Mine located in the Brong-Ahafo region and the Akyem Mine located in the Eastern region. There is also near mine exploration and development focus in Ghana to annually replace gold reserves. Newmont Africa also has early-stage exploration programs in the African countries of Ethiopia and Morocco.
Our Africa operations employ approximately 5,900 employees and contractors, with the majority working at the Ahafo Mine. We offer an unparalleled blend of opportunity and career satisfaction with all the benefits you would expect from a global company. This, combined with our growth opportunities, makes Newmont a great company to work.
Our Akyem and Ahafo mines have made significant sustainable community development investments in our host communities. These include establishing Development Funds at our Akyem and Ahafo operational areas with each mine contributing US$1 per ounce of gold sold and 1% of net pre-tax annual profit into its community development fund.
The only gold company listed in the S&P 500 index, Newmont in 2007 became the first gold company selected to be part of the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index. Newmont’s industry leading performance is reflected through our Africa operations’ high standards in environmental management, health and safety for our workforce and creating value and opportunity for our employees, host communities and Newmont’s shareholders.
Job Title: Payroll Lead
- Leads the execution of the company’s national payroll activities for the three company locations (Accra, Ahafo, and Akyem) and ensures that employees are paid in accordance with the terms of the Collective Bargaining Agreement, Company policies and procedures and Employee agreements.
- Ensures that documentation is satisfactory and complies with the various auditing, taxation and other needs of the company.
- Review and ensure accuracy of payroll computations, mid-month advances, deductions, casuals, bonuses, including terminal payments prior to final payments to employees. Regularly review and evaluate work to ensure quality, timeliness and adherence to established policies and procedures.
- Monitor and ensure the monthly closing process of the payroll function run smoothly by review all high-rated reconciliations such as Employee benefits-Employee savings, Net payroll payables, Accounts payable-Other payroll related etc and reports and ensure that balances tie to the general ledger and outstanding items are followed up.
- Liaise with HR in developing policies and procedures and monitor the compliance with such policies and procedures to ensure the payroll function is well controlled and operates smoothly. Liaison between HR and Finance, Employees and or Employee representatives on payroll related issues.
- Provide support to internal and external auditors in providing required documents and answer the question related to the payroll and treasury functions.
- As the Regional Business Process Owner (RBPO) for payroll, ensure all stabilization testing, upgrades and innovations are carried out by liaising with the global SAP team.
- Review Month End Activities and see to it that all MRCD’s as well as stakeholder reports (eg.BoG) are completed and loaded on a timely basis. Ensure compliance to all statutory payments and reports.
- Provide support, direction and training to the off shore payroll team on all new changes and updates to the payroll model and legislations.
- Constantly review the payroll model and recommend upgrades and automations.
- Be the liaison between offshore payroll team and all the 3rd vendors and legal institutions by updating offshore team with all changes and providing physical support as and when.
- Support treasury activities including, cash flow forecast, Gold Shipment, Excess Fund Investments, Royalties, reconciliations and employee receivables, making sure all commitments are honoured within the terms agreed between the company and its stakeholders as needed.
- Coaching and mentoring off shore resources to effectively deliver on their role as the gate keepers in terms of salary payments and other applicable treasury and payroll responsibilities.
- Accra-assigned specific department Cost Reviews and analysis and providing proactive support relating to cost queries. Additionally, aid in the development of metrics and tools that can be used for cost analysis for the assigned departments for better business decisions.