Newmont Mining Corporation is a leading global gold producer with key assets in Nevada, Peru, Australia, Ghana and Suriname.
Newmont’s Africa Operations holds two gold mining operations in Ghana: the Ahafo Mine located in the Brong-Ahafo region and the Akyem Mine located in the Eastern region. There is also near mine exploration and development focus in Ghana to annually replace gold reserves. Newmont Africa also has early-stage exploration programs in the African countries of Ethiopia and Morocco.
Our Africa operations employ approximately 5,900 employees and contractors, with the majority working at the Ahafo Mine. We offer an unparalleled blend of opportunity and career satisfaction with all the benefits you would expect from a global company. This, combined with our growth opportunities, makes Newmont a great company to work.
Our Akyem and Ahafo mines have made significant sustainable community development investments in our host communities. These include establishing Development Funds at our Akyem and Ahafo operational areas with each mine contributing US$1 per ounce of gold sold and 1% of net pre-tax annual profit into its community development fund.
The only gold company listed in the S&P 500 index, Newmont in 2007 became the first gold company selected to be part of the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index. Newmont’s industry leading performance is reflected through our Africa operations’ high standards in environmental management, health and safety for our workforce and creating value and opportunity for our employees, host communities and Newmont’s shareholders.
Job Title: Senior Community Relations Representative – Complaints & Grievance
Ensure that Newmont’s Ahafo North Information Centres are accessible to community members to lodge complaints and grievances to help sustain company-community relationship and provide support for front line management of Ahafo North community issues, complaints and grievances.
Community Information Office Management
- Responsible for the opening and manning of the Newmont Information Offices in the Ahafo North Mine communities.
- Respond to enquiries from key stakeholders and act as medium to send correspondences to and from Company to stakeholders.
- Manage the use of the Community Information Offices by company and external stakeholders for meetings.
- Explain company policies and guidelines to stakeholders, receives issues that need to be address and forward to appropriate authorities for necessary actions.
Complaints & Grievances Management
- Receives all complaints (Written/verbal) conduct preliminary discussions with the Complainant to understand his/her complaint and to establish its eligibility.
- Solicit all additional information, contacts to help future engagements with Resolving Officer.
- Explains the Complaints & Grievance resolution process to the Complainant to help in the appreciation of time and stages required to resolve the complaint.
- Lodge the translated complaint (Verbal) on complaint & grievance form and forward to the Complaints & Grievance Coordinator
- Support the conduct of investigations and follow up engagement about the complaints to ensure complaints are resolved within 30 days and/or escalated.
- Facilitate actual resolution and management of Issues and Grievances related to the execution of Mine operations.
- Conduct trend analysis on complaints to inform early warning detection for engagement and decision making.
Management of Non-Grievance Correspondence
- Receive all non- grievance letters and solicit contacts for any future engagements where required.
- Ensure that all letters from external stakeholders to S&ER meant for the company are scanned and uploaded into Cintellate.
- Assign actions and follow up with action owners for appropriate response and provide the required feedback received to Requestors.
Community Events Management (Accidents/Incidents)
- Facilitates community entry for investigations into Accidents/incidents involving Newmont/Contractor vehicle and community members.
- Coordinate the implementation of actions required to close out Accidents/incidents involving Newmont/Contractor vehicle and community members.
- Submit reports on Information office management, Complaints and grievance received and community events management to the Complaints and Grievance Coordinator.
Health and Safety
- Report all incidents and accidents in the work group to enable management to identify areas for improvement in work practices.
- Demonstrate leadership in safety and comply with Newmont Ghana HSLP policies and procedures that involve but are not limited to Safety inspections, Safety Training, Annual Refresher, Safety Talks, Incident Reporting and Investigation etc.
Training & Experience
Formal Qualification (including Professional Registrations):
- First Degree in Social Science or related discipline.
- Good understanding of Local Culture
- At least 4 years relevant experience in grievance management / resolution, administration, public relations, a legal environment,
- Good Interpersonal skills (interacting with diverse functional and cultural backgrounds), with strong communication (written and verbal) skills
- Strong analysis and problem-solving skills
- Strong reporting, planning, prioritizing and coordination skills
- Strong consultation and assessment skills
- A strong conflict resolution skill a must
- Risk management skills
- Sound computer literacy skills – MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook)
- Strong Leadership skills, Professional, Committed, Diligent, Efficient and Goal-OrientedStrong Detail Focused, Accurate, Honest
- Self-Motivated, High-quality Orientated, Highly Transparent, Reliable and Independent
- Technically Inclined, ability to Multi-task, takes Directive and Initiative
- Working environment of incumbent is safe. Unsafe conditions have been identified and measures have been put in place either to eliminate or mitigate unsafe working conditions. However, there is a potential risk to health and personal abuse while on duty.
- Besides planned work, daily activities are determined by emerging business needs and priorities as dictated by Management. This situation may lead to performing different tasks at the same time.
Our business success comes from the accomplishments and well-being of our employees and contractors. Our goal is to build a workplace culture that fosters leaders and allows every person to thrive, contribute, and grow. We are committed to selecting and developing our employees, and to establishing a work environment where everyone can take an active part in reaching our strategic goals while feeling a sense of pride in working at Newmont.