Newmont Mining Corporation is a leading global gold producer with key assets in Nevada, Peru, Australia, Ghana and Suriname.
Newmont’s Africa Operations holds two gold mining operations in Ghana: the Ahafo Mine located in the Brong-Ahafo region and the Akyem Mine located in the Eastern region. There is also near mine exploration and development focus in Ghana to annually replace gold reserves. Newmont Africa also has early-stage exploration programs in the African countries of Ethiopia and Morocco.
Our Africa operations employ approximately 5,900 employees and contractors, with the majority working at the Ahafo Mine. We offer an unparalleled blend of opportunity and career satisfaction with all the benefits you would expect from a global company. This, combined with our growth opportunities, makes Newmont a great company to work.
Our Akyem and Ahafo mines have made significant sustainable community development investments in our host communities. These include establishing Development Funds at our Akyem and Ahafo operational areas with each mine contributing US$1 per ounce of gold sold and 1% of net pre-tax annual profit into its community development fund.
The only gold company listed in the S&P 500 index, Newmont in 2007 became the first gold company selected to be part of the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index. Newmont’s industry leading performance is reflected through our Africa operations’ high standards in environmental management, health and safety for our workforce and creating value and opportunity for our employees, host communities and Newmont’s shareholders.
Job Title: Health and Safety Superintendent
- Provides tactical input and direction to the health and safety approach for the Ahafo Underground Operations.
- Supports the department line leaders in adopting and executing the Ahafo site health and safety business plan.
- Drives the effective and appropriate implementation of health and safety programs, process and tools.
- Leads the coaching and development of the underground health and safety team to achieve desired outcomes.
- Carry out all statutory duties including liaising with the Mines Inspectorate to improve health and safety performance.
- Guide and coach line leaders to eliminate all workplace injuries and illness through a focus on safety leadership, fatality elimination, employee engagement and fitness for work.
- Lead and manage the Subika Underground contractor and sub-contractor health and safety team, holding them accountable to the assigned KPIs.
- Develop, implement and monitor health and safety programs in line with the HS Business Plan.
- Manage and direct the health and safety component of the hazard identification, risk reviews and risk register for the underground operations, as well as monitor and manage industrial hygiene program for underground.
- Analyze data from event investigations, observations, inspections and other sources and develop reports and develop solutions to improve health and safety performance.
- Lead the facilitation of the investigation, analysis and reporting for significant potential events and reportable injuries.
- Lead the health and safety auditing of underground operations in consultation with the site audit department.
- Design and deliver health and safety programs that are aligned with best practice from other Newmont sites.
- Provide oversight of the Underground Emergency Response Plan and the Underground Mine Rescue team, and liaise with external agencies, contractors, consultants and suppliers.
- Become familiar with and strictly adhere to Newmont’s Health, Safety and Environmental standards. Act as a role model in complying with and supporting these standards and practices.
The above duties and responsibilities are representative of the nature and level of work assigned and are not necessarily all-inclusive.
Training & Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in Health and Safety or related field.
- A Master’s degree, post graduate qualification in health and safety or NEBOSH Diploma or equivalent is an advantage.
- Strong command of English language (spoken and written).
- Minimum of 7-10 years of experience in health and safety with understanding of underground risk management.
- Minimum of 4 years in a supervisory/ area lead role or working with senior leadership teams.
- Experience designing, developing and implementing health and safety related programs and processes.
Skills and Abilities:
- Situational leadership skills.
- Excellent problem solving, interpersonal relationship and communication skills are required.
- Ability to quickly build strong partnerships and influence others.
- Ability to adapt to a changing environment and handle multiple tasks concurrently while prioritizing appropriately.
- Must be team work oriented and work efficiently within limited time requirements.
- Strong presentation, organizational and communication skills.
- Auditing qualifications.
- Excellent computer skills using office software such as Excel, Word and Power Point.
- Ability to identify problems, make decisions, create solutions, and take action.
- Ability to train and coach others.
- Ability to work effectively in a diverse work group.
- Current Driver’s License.
- The position is located at the Ahafo site.
- A significant portion of time will be expected to be spent underground.
Our business success comes from the accomplishments and well-being of our employees and contractors. Our goal is to build a workplace culture that fosters leaders and allows every person to thrive, contribute, and grow. We are committed to selecting and developing our employees, and to establishing a work environment where everyone can take an active part in reaching our strategic goals while feeling a sense of pride in working at Newmont.