Newmont Mining Corporation is a leading global gold producer with key assets in Nevada, Peru, Australia, Ghana and Suriname.
Newmont’s Africa Operations holds two gold mining operations in Ghana: the Ahafo Mine located in the Brong-Ahafo region and the Akyem Mine located in the Eastern region. There is also near mine exploration and development focus in Ghana to annually replace gold reserves. Newmont Africa also has early-stage exploration programs in the African countries of Ethiopia and Morocco.
Our Africa operations employ approximately 5,900 employees and contractors, with the majority working at the Ahafo Mine. We offer an unparalleled blend of opportunity and career satisfaction with all the benefits you would expect from a global company. This, combined with our growth opportunities, makes Newmont a great company to work.
Our Akyem and Ahafo mines have made significant sustainable community development investments in our host communities. These include establishing Development Funds at our Akyem and Ahafo operational areas with each mine contributing US$1 per ounce of gold sold and 1% of net pre-tax annual profit into its community development fund.
The only gold company listed in the S&P 500 index, Newmont in 2007 became the first gold company selected to be part of the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index. Newmont’s industry leading performance is reflected through our Africa operations’ high standards in environmental management, health and safety for our workforce and creating value and opportunity for our employees, host communities and Newmont’s shareholders.
Job Title: Senior Project Controls Engineer
- Lead Project Controler for a specific project and support other regional Development and Sustaining Capital projects as needed, providing cost estimating, cost control, planning and scheduling, cost and schedule analysis, and project reporting, across all Project Stages.
- Maintain close coordination with internal stakeholders as well as EPC(M) Contractor(s) and/or Owner led Contractor(s).
- Rapidly identify deviations to cost or schedule to allow proper decision making by Project Management. (Change control).
- Follow regional and corporate approved Guidance to support project management, candidate will:
- Assist in the development of the schedule baseline and maintain project status
- Develop the cost baseline (Original Budget) and maintain the Current Budget and Forecast through an effective Change Management and forecasting process
- Oversee the development of a comprehensive progress and performance system and coordinate reporting
- Coordinate overall monthly and other as needed project reporting
- Work requires coordination and integration of information provided by multiple stakeholders – suppliers, contractors, and owner’s functions – into summary reports representing the overall project as defined in the owner’s Authorization for Expenditure (AFE).
- Provide project controls input and coordinate overall development and QC of documentation to advance projects through Investment System and Stage Gate Process. Contribute to scope definition, project execution planning, development of capital cost and schedule and cash flow baselines, evaluation of cost and schedule risk, input to financial models, and preparation of AFE and investment documents. Engage assistance of corporate estimating and controls functional support if required on complex or higher risk projects.
- Act as Owner’s primary liaison and primary interface with Project Accounting.
- Provide controls input and analysis for monthly reports as well as project and contract closeout reports.
- Prior to award, review agreements for work to be performed by suppliers, consultants and contractors, to ensure that project controls requirements are clearly stated and are appropriate to level of contract risk. During project execution, audit third party reports to ensure adherence to these requirements.
- Participate in annual business planning cycle. Ensure that project controls systems can generate reports relative to either annual or life-of-project budgets.
- Actively participate in key project planning sessions: opportunity framing, interactive planning, risk analysis, formal forecast updates, and project reviews conducted by corporate and third party benchmarking consultants.
- Maintain an active risk register and communicate gaps and corrective action identified to the Project Director and Regional Project Controls Manager and implement corrective action as agreed with project stakeholders.
- Become familiar with and strictly adhere to Newmont’s Health, Safety and Environmental standards. Act as a role model in complying with and supporting these standards and practices.
The above duties and responsibilities are representative of the nature and level of work assigned and are not necessarily all-inclusive.
Training & Experience
- B.S. degree in Engineering or Accounting or Project Management or equivalent experience, or equivalent combination of training and experience are necessary.
- Project management training
- An understanding of construction techniques, methods, productivity, and costs.
- A good knowledge of accounting principles.
- Minimum of 7 years’ experience in the engineering and construction management with at least 3-year experience in project controls including successful completion of a project assignment.
- Practical experience with SAP.
- Knowledge of Newmont’s stage gate procedures.
Skills and Abilities:
- Intermediate to advanced level of software applications and tools for scheduling and cost management
- Good organizational skills.
- Effective communication skills (in English).
- Effective interpersonal skills.
- A flexible attitude and a willingness to learn.
- Position is located at Ahafo & Akyem Project Sites
- The work will be in a shared field project office subject to changing conditions.
- Position will be required to travel to other locations and project offices in Ghana and also visit construction and mining sites and must be fit enough to traverse rough ground, climb ladders and walk for 15 minutes without tiring.
Our business success comes from the accomplishments and well-being of our employees and contractors. Our goal is to build a workplace culture that fosters leaders and allows every person to thrive, contribute, and grow. We are committed to selecting and developing our employees, and to establishing a work environment where everyone can take an active part in reaching our strategic goals while feeling a sense of pride in working at Newmont.