Newmont Mining Corporation is a leading global gold producer with key assets in Nevada, Peru, Australia, Ghana and Suriname.
Newmont’s Africa Operations holds two gold mining operations in Ghana: the Ahafo Mine located in the Brong-Ahafo region and the Akyem Mine located in the Eastern region. There is also near mine exploration and development focus in Ghana to annually replace gold reserves. Newmont Africa also has early-stage exploration programs in the African countries of Ethiopia and Morocco.
Our Africa operations employ approximately 5,900 employees and contractors, with the majority working at the Ahafo Mine. We offer an unparalleled blend of opportunity and career satisfaction with all the benefits you would expect from a global company. This, combined with our growth opportunities, makes Newmont a great company to work.
Our Akyem and Ahafo mines have made significant sustainable community development investments in our host communities. These include establishing Development Funds at our Akyem and Ahafo operational areas with each mine contributing US$1 per ounce of gold sold and 1% of net pre-tax annual profit into its community development fund.
The only gold company listed in the S&P 500 index, Newmont in 2007 became the first gold company selected to be part of the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index. Newmont’s industry leading performance is reflected through our Africa operations’ high standards in environmental management, health and safety for our workforce and creating value and opportunity for our employees, host communities and Newmont’s shareholders.
Job Title: Underground Mine Maintenance Planner
To perform the maintenance planning and scheduling activities for the underground mine with the aims of ensuring equipment is maintained in a fit for purpose and safe condition, delivering optimum plant and equipment availability, minimizing unplanned maintenance tasks and reducing maintenance costs.
1. General planning duties
- Prepare and issue short, medium and long-range schedules and forecasts.
- Organise, plan, estimate and prepare warehouse spares and materials for maintenance activities.
- Organise, plan, estimate and prepare tooling and specialized equipment for maintenance activities.
- Work with the maintenance personnel to identify, plan, estimate and manage contractor services.
2. Work order management
- Ensure work history and completion information is captured in SAP.
- Capture all requests for work in the system (verbal, written, phone, etc.).
- Filter, clarify and arrange for the processing of work requests from all sources.
- Oversee that work orders are fully planned and resourced prior to being scheduled.
- Review outstanding work orders to identify jobs to be planned.
3. Communication and Stakeholder Management
- Engage with key stakeholders in development of asset strategies.
- Act as the critical contact for operations and outside departments relating to maintenance on the equipment maintained by the maintenance group.
- Interface with operations and maintenance to assist with the effective and efficient rectification of breakdowns.
- Communicate all maintenance planning requirements and distribute plans and schedules to the relevant departments and personnel.
- Communicate with maintenance and operational personnel to plan, estimate and identify the proper labor, services, equipment and skills.
- Communicate with cost center owners for approval of work requests.
4. Shutdown Planning and Scheduling
- Plan and schedule minor and major shutdown works.
- Review work orders and maintenance plans for inclusion in shutdowns and change work groups, as required.
- Export shutdown work orders to MS Project, as required.
- Determine shutdown critical path activities, update shutdown schedule as required.
5. Information Management
- Assist with the compilation, maintenance and management of an accurate, complete and up to date equipment register for the work area.
- Assist with the maintenance of an accurate and complete rotables register and tracking of rotable components.
- Be responsible for compilation, maintenance and management of all planning related documentation, ensuring it is up to date.
- Maintain key standard jobs and APL part listings for all equipment maintained by the maintenance group.
6. Financial Management
- Participate in the preparation and review of the annual maintenance budget and cost reports.
- Assist with the preparation of quarterly forecasts
- Assist with supplier registration.
Training & Experience
Formal Qualification (including Professional Registrations):
- Bachelor’s degree or High National Diploma in a mechanical or electrical engineering field is highly desirable.
- A trade qualification in a mechanical, electrical or automation field is required as a minimum.
- Advanced knowledge of maintenance principles and heavy industry standards.
- Knowledge of industrial work management process.
- Knowledge of planning and scheduling.
- Knowledge of the operation of the CMMS (SAP).
- Knowledge of performance measures and their interpretation.
- Knowledge of defect elimination methodologies and their interpretation.
- Working knowledge of asset life cycle management and asset management principles and best practice.
- Minimum of 2 years work experience in planning and / or execution of heavy industry plant maintenance.
- Mining industry experience is highly desirable.
- Underground mining experience will be advantageous.
- Advanced analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Well-developed written and verbal communication and interpersonal skills.
- Advanced computer literacy skills – MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook), CMMS/ERP and MS Project.
- Advanced information monitoring and management skills.
- Possess good planning and organising skills.
- Possess good time management and task prioritisation skills.
- Be experienced with document management.
- Capacity planning skills.
- Contract management experience desirable.
- Quality management skills.
- Demonstrate good report writing skills.
- Be able to prepare and deliver presentations.
- Safety conscious.
- Methodical and logical.
- Display initiative.
- Neat, tidy and well organised.
- Results orientated.
- Be pro-active.
- Pay attention to detail.
- Work well under pressure.
- Follow through on tasks.
- Team player.
- Be able to work to deadlines.
- Flexible in the approach to work.
- Lateral thinking.
- Deliver work to a high standard of quality
Position is located in a very remote location. The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representatives of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform essential functions of this job:
- Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, and ability to adjust focus.
- Physical demands: While performing the duties of the job, the employee is required to sit at a desk for extended periods, climb stairs, walk and stand. Regular field visits to the surface and underground operations will be required.
- Work environment: The noise level in the office work environment is minimal. Occasional exposure to noise, fumes, high temperature hazardous materials, sharp edges, dust, pinch-points, vibration, slippery surfaces etc.