Newmont Mining Corporation is a leading global gold producer with key assets in Nevada, Peru, Australia, Ghana and Suriname.
Newmont’s Africa Operations holds two gold mining operations in Ghana: the Ahafo Mine located in the Brong-Ahafo region and the Akyem Mine located in the Eastern region. There is also near mine exploration and development focus in Ghana to annually replace gold reserves. Newmont Africa also has early-stage exploration programs in the African countries of Ethiopia and Morocco.
Our Africa operations employ approximately 5,900 employees and contractors, with the majority working at the Ahafo Mine. We offer an unparalleled blend of opportunity and career satisfaction with all the benefits you would expect from a global company. This, combined with our growth opportunities, makes Newmont a great company to work.
Our Akyem and Ahafo mines have made significant sustainable community development investments in our host communities. These include establishing Development Funds at our Akyem and Ahafo operational areas with each mine contributing US$1 per ounce of gold sold and 1% of net pre-tax annual profit into its community development fund.
The only gold company listed in the S&P 500 index, Newmont in 2007 became the first gold company selected to be part of the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index. Newmont’s industry leading performance is reflected through our Africa operations’ high standards in environmental management, health and safety for our workforce and creating value and opportunity for our employees, host communities and Newmont’s shareholders.
Job Title: Mine General Foreman
To plan, coordinate, manage and execute short, medium and long-term operational activities of the load and haul in the pit, which include:
- Road maintenance.
Mine Operations Planning and Execution
- Execute short, medium and long-term mine plans.
- Deliver weekly activity plan, in conjunction with Mine Maintenance, to ensure that all equipment required is ready by the end of the week.
- Oversee the completion of the plan through the provision of a strong ‘bench strength’ team and close any gaps that may constrain achievement of targets.
- Understand and manage key environmental issues with respect to the implementation of reclamation, waste disposal and spill management activities.
- Coordinate activities with processing plant management to ensure continuity of total operations.
- Ensure all haul road are maintained and free of sharp rocks.
- Manage the load and haul team to efficiently and effectively achieve their core mandates.
- Investigate approaches to improving the meeting of mine yield targets (i.e. equipment efficiencies, tyre life).
- Identify all performance and work-related issues and put in measures to address these.
- Implement robust Mine Operations workplans and work according to plan for training purposes.
Mine Operations Optimisation and Continuous Improvement
- Implement opportunities for continuous improvement and specifically those best suited to Mine Operations activities.
- Report all accidents and incidents in the work group to enable management to identify areas for improvement in work practices.
- Remain accountable in the success of the Akyem pit operations in achieving production goals safely, at the highest levels of productivity and at the lowest level of cost.
Stakeholder Management and Engagement
- Coordinate with Planning Engineers, Grade Control Engineers, Maintenance Foremen, Processing and Underground Mine Captains, Drill and blast, dewatering in the planning, design, integration and support of Mine Operations activities.
- Coordinate the maintenance of mine equipment with the Maintenance Department.
- Interact with operating and non-operating departments to develop short-term operating goals and budgets.
- Liaise with the Training Department to organize the implementation of training the national workforce to sustain and improve on Newmont global best practices.
Health and Safety Management
- Remain responsible for the implementation of Safety, Environmental, and Social Responsibility policies.
- Adhere strictly to internal Newmont health and safety standards.
- Accept personal responsibility for the health and safety of every employee under or assigned to his / her supervision.
- Inspect Mine Operations on a regular basis to detect and resolve safety, personnel and production problems.
- Conduct periodic safety meetings, staff meetings and safety inspections
- Conduct periodic Mine operations fatality risk verifications.
- Create a suitable work environment to motivate staff, employees and contractors to achieve optimum effectiveness, productivity and operating costs.
- Manage all direct reportsin conjunction with HR by:
- performing performance appraisals.
- recommending further / relevant training courses and development actions in accordance with Newmont’s people development program(s).
- approving leave.
- enhancing communication with staff through regular feedback, contact, meetings and briefings, etc.
Training & Experience
Formal Qualification (including Professional Registrations):
- Bachelors’ Degree in Mining/Civil Engineering, Geology or related field.
- Mine Captain certification(Statutory).
- Understanding of continuous improvement concepts.
- Minimum of 10 years’ experience in a mining environment, with a minimum 6 years’ experience in a supervisory capacity.
- Experience with Mine Dispatch Systems.
Our business success comes from the accomplishments and well-being of our employees and contractors. Our goal is to build a workplace culture that fosters leaders and allows every person to thrive, contribute, and grow. We are committed to selecting and developing our employees, and to establishing a work environment where everyone can take an active part in reaching our strategic goals while feeling a sense of pride in working at Newmont.