Newmont Mining Corporation is a leading global gold producer with key assets in Nevada, Peru, Australia, Ghana and Suriname.
Newmont’s Africa Operations holds two gold mining operations in Ghana: the Ahafo Mine located in the Brong-Ahafo region and the Akyem Mine located in the Eastern region. There is also near mine exploration and development focus in Ghana to annually replace gold reserves. Newmont Africa also has early-stage exploration programs in the African countries of Ethiopia and Morocco.
Our Africa operations employ approximately 5,900 employees and contractors, with the majority working at the Ahafo Mine. We offer an unparalleled blend of opportunity and career satisfaction with all the benefits you would expect from a global company. This, combined with our growth opportunities, makes Newmont a great company to work.
Our Akyem and Ahafo mines have made significant sustainable community development investments in our host communities. These include establishing Development Funds at our Akyem and Ahafo operational areas with each mine contributing US$1 per ounce of gold sold and 1% of net pre-tax annual profit into its community development fund.
The only gold company listed in the S&P 500 index, Newmont in 2007 became the first gold company selected to be part of the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index. Newmont’s industry leading performance is reflected through our Africa operations’ high standards in environmental management, health and safety for our workforce and creating value and opportunity for our employees, host communities and Newmont’s shareholders.
Job Title: Environment Supervisor – Monitoring/Compliance
About This Role:
- To develop and implement environmental monitoring programs, in accordance with internationally accepted protocols, Newmont standards and regulatory requirements
- To interpret monitoring data, evaluate environmental conditions and predict potential changes in the environment, associated with mining activities.
In This Role You Will:
- Develop and implement all water and non-water monitoring programs to meet environmental standards required by NGGL and regulators.
- Manage the on-site environmental laboratory.
- Register and track compliance.
- Report non-compliances immediately to management.
- Develop corrective action plans and track to completion, where required.
- Ensure compliance with multiple regulatory requirements, as well as internal Newmont standards.
- Participate in the environmental risk assessment process.
- Coordinate the development of action plans to address and minimize significant environmental risks.
Environmental Data Collection and Assurance
- Manage the water and non-water data collection and interpretation process.
- Review data/documents to confirm whether these meet quality and compliance standards required to satisfy NGGL and regulatory reporting commitments.
- Ensure Environmental Data assurance.
- Coordinate Environmental Protection Agency, Minerals Commission, Water Resources Commission and/or other (regulatory) agency officials as well as third party auditor’s environmental inspections and audits.
- Coordinate and support environmental permitting requirements.
- Track and document permit conditions and requirements in the site commitments.
- Provide environmental input for company meetings.
- Coordinate reviews of key performance indicators to ensure that emerging environmental issues are communicated and addressed.
- Prepare external environmental reports and submit to the Environmental Protection Agency, Minerals Commission, Newmont Corporate office and others as required.
- Manage all direct reports by:
- performing performance appraisals.
- recommending further/ relevant training courses and development actions in accordance with Newmont’s people development program(s).
- enhancing communication with staff through regular feedback, contact, meetings and briefings, etc.
- building sufficient employee ‘bench strength’.
- conducting robust succession planning.
- Approve the Compliance and Monitoring teams’ work schedules.
Health and Safety
- Lead Environment’s departments contribution to the zero harm goal of Ahafo North with focus on quality safety interactions, inspections, audits, risk assessments & impact mitigation and control systems.
Your Training, Skills & Experience Checklist:
Formal Qualification (including Professional Registrations):
- First degree in Environment Sciences, Engineering or a related field.
- Knowledge of Ghanaian Environmental Regulations as they apply to mining.
- HSE Superintendent Competency in Minerals and Mining (Health, Safety and Technical) Regulation (LI2182).
- Thorough understanding of Environment Management Systems.
- Minimum of 7 years’ environment experience working in the mining or related industrial operations environments.
- Minimum of 3 years’ experience in a leadership role.
- Experienced working with ISO4001 or similar Environmental Management Systems.
- Advanced interpersonal skills (interacting with diverse functional and cultural backgrounds).
- Strong communication (written and verbal) skills.
- Strong analysis and problem-solving skills.
- Strong reporting skills.
- Strong planning, prioritizing and coordination skills.
- Strong consultation skills.
- Strong assessment skills.
- Strong auditing skills (environmental auditing).
- Sound change management skills.
- Risk management skills.
- Sound computer literacy skills – MS Office (Word, Excel,PowerPoint and Outlook).
- Strong Leadership.
- Strong Detail Focus.
- Directive and takes initiative.
- Honesty and Integrity.
- Goal orientated.
- High quality orientation.
- High level of transparency.
- Reliable and independent.
- Ability to multitask.
- Working environment of incumbent is safe.
- Besides planned work, daily activities are determined by emerging business needs and priorities as dictated by Management. This situation leads to performing different tasks at the same time.