Newmont Mining Corporation is a leading global gold producer with key assets in Nevada, Peru, Australia, Ghana and Suriname.
Newmont’s Africa Operations holds two gold mining operations in Ghana: the Ahafo Mine located in the Brong-Ahafo region and the Akyem Mine located in the Eastern region. There is also near mine exploration and development focus in Ghana to annually replace gold reserves. Newmont Africa also has early-stage exploration programs in the African countries of Ethiopia and Morocco.
Our Africa operations employ approximately 5,900 employees and contractors, with the majority working at the Ahafo Mine. We offer an unparalleled blend of opportunity and career satisfaction with all the benefits you would expect from a global company. This, combined with our growth opportunities, makes Newmont a great company to work.
Our Akyem and Ahafo mines have made significant sustainable community development investments in our host communities. These include establishing Development Funds at our Akyem and Ahafo operational areas with each mine contributing US$1 per ounce of gold sold and 1% of net pre-tax annual profit into its community development fund.
The only gold company listed in the S&P 500 index, Newmont in 2007 became the first gold company selected to be part of the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index. Newmont’s industry leading performance is reflected through our Africa operations’ high standards in environmental management, health and safety for our workforce and creating value and opportunity for our employees, host communities and Newmont’s shareholders.
Job Title: Staff Geologist
About This Role:
- To execute field-focused exploration assignments to identify gold resources that has the potential of becoming mineable reserves.
In This Role You Will:
- Remain abreast of current developments in the geological discipline through industry, government contacts and review of literature and professional organizations.
Communication and Collaboration
- Maintain an up-to-date understanding of any issues relating to the local communities and communicate any security concerns.
- Develop and maintain effective working relationships with all other company groups or teams to support company needs in a timely manner with flexibility and using best practices.
Data Collection and Processing
- Collect, record and assist with interpretation of geological and geotechnical data including field mapping of geological, geomorphological and regolith characteristics and pit, trench and drill hole logging.
- Input data (field mapping observations, drill hole logging) into database and Geographic Information System (GIS) software.
- Provide interpretation of GIS of multiple data sets and plan follow-up programs.
- Contribute towards the planning and interpreting geophysical programs.
- Prepare the monthly activity reports.
- Provide data for monthly technical reports.
- Observe day to day technical drilling operations for compliance and safety.
- Deliver on prescribed outcomes and/or provide support services by following Newmont’s Health and Safety systems and protocols.
- Ensure that all work carried out adheres to Health and Safety standard operating procedures.
- Conduct daily meetings to discuss Health and Safety threats.
- Flag and resolve safety issues within area of responsibility.
Your Training, Skills & Experience Checklist:
Formal Qualification (including Professional Registrations):
- Bachelor’s degree in Geology.
- A minimum of 2 – 5 years’ experience in mineral exploration works.
- Ability to establish the level of competence of an individual against existing standards.
- Demonstrate use of problem solving techniques to identify and resolve a problem in the best interest of all stakeholders.
- Ability to accurately give an account of information pertaining to the performance of outputs.
- Intermediate to advanced software understanding of ArcGIS, Leapfrog, Vulcan and / or MineSight
- Advance communication (written and verbal) and interpersonal skills.
- Attention to detail.
- Quality orientated.
- Customer focused.
- The position is located at the Ahafo North mine.
- Position is site based and requires majority of time spent in field or logging area, time spent in the office is for data processing and interpretation as required.