Newmont Mining Corporation is a leading global gold producer with key assets in Nevada, Peru, Australia, Ghana and Suriname.
Newmont’s Africa Operations holds two gold mining operations in Ghana: the Ahafo Mine located in the Brong-Ahafo region and the Akyem Mine located in the Eastern region. There is also near mine exploration and development focus in Ghana to annually replace gold reserves. Newmont Africa also has early-stage exploration programs in the African countries of Ethiopia and Morocco.
Our Africa operations employ approximately 5,900 employees and contractors, with the majority working at the Ahafo Mine. We offer an unparalleled blend of opportunity and career satisfaction with all the benefits you would expect from a global company. This, combined with our growth opportunities, makes Newmont a great company to work.
Job Title: Mine Operations Shift Supervisor
Our Akyem and Ahafo mines have made significant sustainable community development investments in our host communities. These include establishing Development Funds at our Akyem and Ahafo operational areas with each mine contributing US$1 per ounce of gold sold and 1% of net pre-tax annual profit into its community development fund.
The only gold company listed in the S&P 500 index, Newmont in 2007 became the first gold company selected to be part of the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index. Newmont’s industry leading performance is reflected through our Africa operations’ high standards in environmental management, health and safety for our workforce and creating value and opportunity for our employees, host communities and Newmont’s shareholders.
ABOUT THIS ROLE:
To coordinate and provide shift direction to the operators on operational activities of the mine crew in the open pit area, in a safe manner, and coordinate resource allocations to effectively complete the activities.
IN THIS ROLE,YOU WILL:
- Oversee the shift to daily operational execution of mine plans.
- Put in short interval controls, based on the mine plan, and make any necessary adjustments and changes to the shift, to meet daily target projections.
- Coordinate and pair Operators with the relevant equipment required to execute tasks.
- Supervise the implementation of reclamation, wall cleaning, road construction and maintenance activities.
- Coordinate with Maintenance, Underground, load and haul and Engineering in the completion of daily Mine Operations shift activities.
- Communicate with the Dispatcher regarding hazards encountered to provide sufficient information to Operators for the smooth running of Operations.
- Supervise the operators in the implementation and completion of road maintenance.
- Oversee that Mine Operations shift work meets established statutory standards in the operation of the mine.
- Revert to the Engineering team to potentially change shift plans for a particular area, arising out of work hazard detection.
- Provide hands-on assistance during operations activities and ensure that the Operators follow safe work practices.
- Liaise with the Training Department to arrange the receipt of training schedules and times for the national workforce.
YOUR TRAINING, SKILLS & EXPERIENCE CHECKLIST:
Formal Qualification (including Professional Registrations):
- Bachelors’ degree in Mine / Civil Engineering, Geology or related field.
- Mine Foreman Certificate.
- Ghana Statutory Certification for First Aid and Blasting.
- Minimum of 5 – 8 years’ experience in a mining environment, with a minimum 2 – 3 years’ experience should be in a shift supervisory capacity.
- Strong communication (written and verbal) and interpersonal skills.
- Strong computer literacy skills – MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook), MS Project.
- Strong consultation, negotiation and conflict resolution skills.
- Strong supervisory, coaching and mentoring skills.
- Safety conscious.
- Accurate and Detail Oriented.
- Decisive and Results Driven.
- Customer focused.
- Reliable and Independent.
Position is in a very remote location. The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representatives of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform essential functions of this job.
- Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, and ability to adjust focus.
- Physical Demands: While performing the duties of the job, the employee is required to sit in the cabin of heavy mining equipment tracking over uneven surfaces for extended periods, climb stairs, walk and stand.
- Work Environment: The noise level in the field environment is minimal. Occasional exposure to noise, fumes, high temperature, moving machinery, hazardous materials, sharp edges, dust, pinch-points, vibration, slippery surfaces, extreme weather conditions.
- Personal Protective Equipment (PPE): Work requires mandatory PPE such as helmet, goggles, high visible clothing, safety harness, earplugs and dust mask according to working conditions.
- Incumbent occasionally has to work overtime.