Newmont Mining Corporation is a leading global gold producer with key assets in Nevada, Peru, Australia, Ghana and Suriname.
Newmont’s Africa Operations holds two gold mining operations in Ghana: the Ahafo Mine located in the Brong-Ahafo region and the Akyem Mine located in the Eastern region. There is also near mine exploration and development focus in Ghana to annually replace gold reserves. Newmont Africa also has early-stage exploration programs in the African countries of Ethiopia and Morocco.
Our Africa operations employ approximately 5,900 employees and contractors, with the majority working at the Ahafo Mine. We offer an unparalleled blend of opportunity and career satisfaction with all the benefits you would expect from a global company. This, combined with our growth opportunities, makes Newmont a great company to work.
Our Akyem and Ahafo mines have made significant sustainable community development investments in our host communities. These include establishing Development Funds at our Akyem and Ahafo operational areas with each mine contributing US$1 per ounce of gold sold and 1% of net pre-tax annual profit into its community development fund.
The only gold company listed in the S&P 500 index, Newmont in 2007 became the first gold company selected to be part of the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index. Newmont’s industry leading performance is reflected through our Africa operations’ high standards in environmental management, health and safety for our workforce and creating value and opportunity for our employees, host communities and Newmont’s shareholders.
Job Title: Mine Dispatcher
About This Role:
- Are you able to dispatch fleet and optimize equipment utilization and usage to bring peak performance in mining operations by keeping real-time information on equipment, updating mining data in terms of stockpiles, dumps and road networks, liaising with radio maintenance and IT for Air Wave and Network management system, analyzing and providing data to short-term and long-term planning, Mine Operations, Mine Maintenance and Geology?
In This Role, You Will:
- Coordinate and manage shift operations of the Ahafo pit in the areas of drilling, loading, hauling and projects to optimize assets.
- Assist the Dispatch Engineer with planning the biennial outlook of the Fleet Management (Dispatch) session.
- Monitor the flow of information into and out of the FMS System, analyze data and channel this information towards short-term, medium-term and long-term planning.
- Contribute to the design and development of Dispatch processes.
- Support system upgrades and changes.
- Receive targets from Dispatch Engineer for tonnage, fleet performance and its lifespan to achieve defined organization profit targets.
- Provide input into the required network infrastructure framework; plan and execute on the ideal network deployment and roll-out.
- Support the training, implementation and operation of Fleet Management system utilizing both low and high precision GPS. This includes:
- Coordinating the activities of mining equipment to optimize production.
- Managing delay time of the equipment to increase the amount of operating time.
- Implementing best practices for hot changing equipment and operators.
- Training backup Dispatchers and making constant updates to locations, status of equipment and crew to ensure reliable data in Jigsaw database for the shift.
- Running reports and analyzing data to make recommendations to improve productivity.
- Monitoring truck and digger warnings, truck misroutes, exceptions, exception events, assignment events, messages from Operators, and ensuring that excavators or shovels had their priorities set to normal.
- Monitoring the JSMine (Mine Model), JSMTC (Mine Traffic Control) and assisting the operators with Jigsaw Panel Issues.
- Gather regular best practices from other sister sites and conduct analyses to determine whether these can be implemented on-site.
- Address dispatch and fleet failures as swiftly as possible.
- Support fleet management software upgrades.
- Manage the upkeep and maintenance of reporting systems and servers.
- Optimize trucks and fleet usage using JIGSAW Software.
- Optimize equipment utilization and usage to enable peak performance in Mine Engineering.
- Implement control and mitigation actions through interventions to maintain and/or improve performance.
- Identify potential system performance improvements and cost savings and communicate these to the Full Potential team and management.
- Interact positively with other groups including Engineering, Process, Geology, Mine Operations, Maintenance and Human Resources to verify the accuracy of stated events and durations and correlate this to information captured in the FMS System.
- Liaise with Mine Maintenance regarding the upkeep of the health and maintenance of the equipment.
- Liaise with Mine Planning regarding the acquisition of historical data to inform future projections.
- Liaise with Primary Crusher Controller to determine the material blending required and feed this into the crusher.
Health and Safety Management
- Adhere strictly to internal Newmont health and safety standards.
- Verify that all Newmont health and safety principles are upheld by staff.
- Provide hands-on assistance during operations activities and ensure that safe work practices are followed.
- Attend monthly safety and meetings.
- Ensure that safety standards are adhered to.
Your Training, Skills and Experience Checklist:
Formal Qualification (including Professional Registrations):
- Minimum requirement of first degree or at least three years mine operations experience.
- Minimum of 2 – 3 years’ experience in open pit mining.
- At least one-year previous supervisory experience in a Shift Supervisory position within large, open pit mining operations.
- At least one-year experience using Jigsaw FMS system in a similar environment.
- Excellent oral communication skills with proven leadership skills and willingness to cross train at Mine Operations.
- Advance PC skills and computer literacy including experience with the FMS software packages, reporting tools and production monitoring/Fleet Management System tools.
- Demonstrate problem solving and analytical skills.
- Ability to support Ahafo emergency response and lightening detection procedures
- Sound computer literacy skills – MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook), MS Project, Programming, Coding and Application Software.
- Sound analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Communication (written and verbal) and interpersonal skills.
- System and database administration and management skills.
- Troubleshooting skills.
- Planning, organizing and prioritizing skills.
- Technical reading skills.
- Well versed in User and System Administration of diverse technical mining applications.
- IT Programming, SQL Scripting, Reporting and System Management skills.
- Deadline driven
- Safety conscious.
- Team player.
- Results driven.
- Position is located at the Ahafo South mine.
- The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to efficiently perform the essential functions of this job:
- Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, and ability to adjust focus.
- Work Environment: The employee is required to operate in a safety-critical environment with hazardous materials and potentially harmful/dangerous machinery and equipment. The employee is frequently exposed to noise more than 85 decibels, and to fumes, high temperature hazardous materials, sharp edges, dust, pinch-points, vibration, slippery surfaces etc.
- The incumbent is based primarily in an office-based environment, which requires a continuous need for a high degree of concentration.