Newmont Mining Corporation is a leading global gold producer with key assets in Nevada, Peru, Australia, Ghana and Suriname.
Newmont’s Africa Operations holds two gold mining operations in Ghana: the Ahafo Mine located in the Brong-Ahafo region and the Akyem Mine located in the Eastern region. There is also near mine exploration and development focus in Ghana to annually replace gold reserves. Newmont Africa also has early-stage exploration programs in the African countries of Ethiopia and Morocco.
Our Africa operations employ approximately 5,900 employees and contractors, with the majority working at the Ahafo Mine. We offer an unparalleled blend of opportunity and career satisfaction with all the benefits you would expect from a global company. This, combined with our growth opportunities, makes Newmont a great company to work.
Our Akyem and Ahafo mines have made significant sustainable community development investments in our host communities. These include establishing Development Funds at our Akyem and Ahafo operational areas with each mine contributing US$1 per ounce of gold sold and 1% of net pre-tax annual profit into its community development fund.
The only gold company listed in the S&P 500 index, Newmont in 2007 became the first gold company selected to be part of the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index. Newmont’s industry leading performance is reflected through our Africa operations’ high standards in environmental management, health and safety for our workforce and creating value and opportunity for our employees, host communities and Newmont’s shareholders.
Job Title: Business Improvement Senior Specialist
ABOUT THIS ROLE:
To facilitate the execution of projects to create value and keep the business competitive amongst its peers, by diagnosing and designing innovative ideas. To provide coaching and continuous improvement training to employees in the improvement of their departments. To help the business to verify that cost is incurred in a more efficient manner.
IN THIS ROLE YOU WILL:
Continuous Improvement Projects
- Identify projects and deliver these projects, quantifying the value of the projects executed, and sustaining the improvement.
- Facilitate execution of key projects leading to creating value and keeping the business competitive amongst its peers.
- Help the business to confirm that cost is incurred in a more efficient manner (popularly referred to as “cost cutting”).
- Diagnose and design ideas to develop useful initiatives.
- Prioritise the ideas to maintain a smooth process.
- Deliver ideas / initiatives to create value and drive continous improvement within and across the organisation.
- Support the operations and support departments to design the best in industry initiatives to accelerate productivity.
- Design and present appropriate reports on Full Potential and other improvement schemes for Site and Regional Leadership for presentation to ELT, Board, and other relevant stakeholders within and outside the industry.
Employee Training and Coaching
- Train / facilitate human resource employees / department to create value for the business.
- Provide continuous improvement training like Lean Belt training to employees to be used to support their respective departments.
- Provide coaching to all project leads and guide them towards executing projects to create value.
YOUR TRAINING, SKILLS & EXPERIENCE CHECKLIST:
Formal Qualification (including Professional Registrations):
- A Bachelor’s or Master’s Degree in a Mining and Engineering discipline is preferred.
- Knowledge around risk and change management.
- Business improvement.
- Between 10 to 12 years’ of relevant industry experience.
- Experience in training and facilitation.
- Advanced administrative skills.
- Advanced analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Advance mathematical ability.
- Advanced communication (written and verbal) and interpersonal skills.
- Advanced computer literacy skills – MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook).
- Advanced project / program management and coordination skills.
- Advanced facilitation / consultation and management skills.
- Advanced planning and organising skills.
- Coaching and mentoring skills.
- Relationship management and negotiation skills.
- Risk management and change management skills.
- Research and reporting skills.
- Business Continuity Management skills.
- Capacity Planning skills.
- Motivational and networking skills.
- Presentation skills.
- Quality Management skills.
- Customer focused.
- Demonstrates a high level of integrity.
- Safety conscious.
- Takes initiative.
- Results Driven.
- Attention to detail.
- Regular travel and extended hours are expected in this position.
- The role involves continuous strong and complex analytical skills.