Newmont Mining Corporation is a leading global gold producer with key assets in Nevada, Peru, Australia, Ghana and Suriname.
Newmont’s Africa Operations holds two gold mining operations in Ghana: the Ahafo Mine located in the Brong-Ahafo region and the Akyem Mine located in the Eastern region. There is also near mine exploration and development focus in Ghana to annually replace gold reserves. Newmont Africa also has early-stage exploration programs in the African countries of Ethiopia and Morocco.
Our Africa operations employ approximately 5,900 employees and contractors, with the majority working at the Ahafo Mine. We offer an unparalleled blend of opportunity and career satisfaction with all the benefits you would expect from a global company. This, combined with our growth opportunities, makes Newmont a great company to work.
Our Akyem and Ahafo mines have made significant sustainable community development investments in our host communities. These include establishing Development Funds at our Akyem and Ahafo operational areas with each mine contributing US$1 per ounce of gold sold and 1% of net pre-tax annual profit into its community development fund.
The only gold company listed in the S&P 500 index, Newmont in 2007 became the first gold company selected to be part of the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index. Newmont’s industry leading performance is reflected through our Africa operations’ high standards in environmental management, health and safety for our workforce and creating value and opportunity for our employees, host communities and Newmont’s shareholders.
Job Title: Security Supervisor – Operations
About This Role:
The Security Supervisor – Operations, will support the Site Security Manager with the day to day management of site security services and activities for the entire mine site. This includes but not restricted to providing professional level assistance with development, delivery and management of security during construction and operations.
In This Role You Will:
- Supervise the day to day operations of assigned contractor security supervisors in managing access and egress of company property, surveillance, paroling, searching, monitoring security systems and responding to alarms.
- Monitor the operating and administrative activities of the contracted security force as well as security equipment assigned to personnel in the performance of all security duties.
- Prepare security procedures, instructions and others including the preparation of rosters and schedules to ensure continuous and effective security force supervision and co-ordination.
Operational Security Management
- Daily management of all security operations on the mine site including all Critical Production Areas (“CPA”).
- Drive safety culture in all aspects of security operations.
- Oversee that all work carried out adheres to Health and Safety standard operating procedures.
- Supervise the deployment of sophisticated security technology systems, including but not limited to drone platforms, non-lethal anti-ASM counter-measures and detection systems.
- Provide advice and input on security requirements for the management of and deterrence of illegal Artisanal Small Scale Mining as required.
- Develop Site Security operational recommendations by analyzing security trends and developing solutions.
- Conduct security vulnerability assessments of all sections of the mine.
- Perform analyses, and prepare a consolidated monthly report for review by the Security Manager for further distribution and filing.
Site Security Projects
- Manage all site security related projects.
- Review and recommend improvements for security operations
- Develop resource and security requirements for site projects and developments.
- Preparation of weekly project progress reports and project administration, writing and tracking projects.
- Support commissioning of new electronic security equipment and systems.
Your Training, Skills & Experience Checklist:
- Professional Diploma in Security.
- CPP – ASIS Certified Protection Professional is preferable.
- Knowledge of gold plant security.
- Working knowledge of Ghana Criminal and Mining related Laws.
- Knowledge of internal administration and communication processes, procedures and systems.
- Minimum of 10 years’ experience in gold mining security field.
- Must have a strong administrative background and functioning knowledge of procurement, budgeting and reporting.
- Experience in establishing and maintaining an intelligence network.
- Experienced driver with a minimum Ghana class C drivers license.
- Ability to deliver written reports with applicable statistics.
- Excellent oral and written communications skills, in order to effectively convey plant security reports and recommendations to Management.
- Strong PC Skills, including MS Office, Word Excel, Power Point and Outlook applications.
- Customer focused.
- Takes initiative.
- Detail focused.
- Quality oriented.
- Safety conscious.
- Team player.
- Position is located in the Ahafo Region.
- The employee is required to sit at a desk for extended periods, climb stairs and ladders, walk and stand in a physically demanding work environment.