Newmont Mining Corporation is a leading global gold producer with key assets in Nevada, Peru, Australia, Ghana and Suriname.
Newmont’s Africa Operations holds two gold mining operations in Ghana: the Ahafo Mine located in the Brong-Ahafo region and the Akyem Mine located in the Eastern region. There is also near mine exploration and development focus in Ghana to annually replace gold reserves. Newmont Africa also has early-stage exploration programs in the African countries of Ethiopia and Morocco.
Our Africa operations employ approximately 5,900 employees and contractors, with the majority working at the Ahafo Mine. We offer an unparalleled blend of opportunity and career satisfaction with all the benefits you would expect from a global company. This, combined with our growth opportunities, makes Newmont a great company to work.
Our Akyem and Ahafo mines have made significant sustainable community development investments in our host communities. These include establishing Development Funds at our Akyem and Ahafo operational areas with each mine contributing US$1 per ounce of gold sold and 1% of net pre-tax annual profit into its community development fund.
The only gold company listed in the S&P 500 index, Newmont in 2007 became the first gold company selected to be part of the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index. Newmont’s industry-leading performance is reflected through our Africa operations’ high standards in environmental management, health and safety for our workforce and creating value and opportunity for our employees, host communities and Newmont’s shareholders.
Job Title: EPCM Manager
About This Role
- Direct owner’s engineering and technical personnel and coordinate major and complex projects and technical plans/ activities as part of developing a business.
- Plan, conduct and direct the business execution including risk management, design, engineering, procurement, cost scheduling, construction activities, start-up, turnover, and completion.
- Responsible for the coordination of efforts by consultants and business teams in order to complete work within time and cost parameters and make work ‘fit for purpose’.
In This Role You Will:
Project Engineering Management
- Provide guidance, coordination and management of the owner’s project engineering team members and functions as the home office of Engineering Procurement and Construction Management (EPCM).
- Direct the execution planning, design, engineering, procurement, cost, scheduling and construction activities of the business by coordinating efforts of various internal department, project development team and outside consulting resources.
- Provide inputs to and ensure the EPC/CM Contractor develops, monitors and maintains a quality plan (schedule), cost control/ trend system and materials management program.
- Act as a primary liaison with the EPC (or EPCM) Contractor’s engineering team and manage their activities and all deliverables per requirement in the prime Agreement. Ensure the engineering aspects of the scope of work for the project are clearly-defined and are approved by the appropriate personnel.
- Manage the design to provide suitable facilities for operations and maintenance. Also overview the development of the engineering design which offers safe working conditions both during and after construction.
- Manage the process for system turnover, pre-commissioning, process commissioning, performance testing, mechanical completion, practical completion and final completion per contract requirement.
- Have an oversight over engineering productivity levels, quality assurance procedures and coordination procedures by the implementation Contractor’s engineering team.
- Oversee the preparation of submission of “as-built” document as well as development of the project operation and maintenance manuals.
- Assist with the activities associated with pre-commissioning, handover during the defects liabilities period for each facility and attend meetings and presentation as required.
People and Contract Management
- Review, evaluate and approve contracts for work to be performed by consultants and outside contractors; monitor budget, approve plans and designs and resolve problems as they arise.
- Understand Owner’s contractual requirements as they relate to supporting the EPC (or EPCM) Contractor’s engineering program.
- Monitor all work-in-progress to ensure that quality and engineering standards are met and that designs are effective through the entire process; approve changes to designs or schedules as necessary.
- Provide technical direction in the resolution of problems associated with the design, engineering and construction of the project. Problems vary in severity and require an advanced knowledge of project management to ensure adequate resolution.
- Provide technical assistance to operating personnel during start-up phase, including management of personnel.
Business Planning and Continuous Improvement
- Support Newmont stage and gate processes and gate peer reviews, to meet deliverable requirements for technical aspects of the project, ensure all information is prepared for per reviews, and manage all work in accordance with opportunity and risk management guidance.
- Establish and maintain systems to manage and evaluate scope of work changes. Oversee development of proposals and cost estimates; also estimate business needs including equipment, materials and personnel; schedule work to meet completion dates and technical specifications.
- Responsible for ensuring that Newmont’s standards in relation to use of value-improving practices and risk opportunity assessments are scheduled, scoped and completed as part of the overall project execution. Understand and manage business with risk management mindset to identify and manage risks.
Your Training, Skills & Experience Checklist:
Formal Qualification (including Professional Registrations):
- Bachelor of Science in an applicable Engineering discipline.
- Minimum of 10 years’ experience in project engineering management including experience with greenfield and international projects, or an equivalent combination of training and experience are necessary.
- Broad discipline in engineering and construction management experience is desirable.
- Proven leadership and strong negotiation skills.
- Advanced levels in technical communications, personal interaction and presentations skills required.
- Ability to create a dynamic business team and promote communication and teamwork within the department.
- Incumbent must manage both internal and external business relations and resolve construction logistics, supply, and timeline.
- Detail focused.
- Quality oriented.
- Safety conscious.
- Team player.
- Technically inclined.
- Position is located at the Akyem Underground Project Site.
- Travels may be required to assist other Regional Sites.
- Work areas will include underground project areas, and exploration sites.