Newmont Mining Corporation is a leading global gold producer with key assets in Nevada, Peru, Australia, Ghana and Suriname.
Newmont’s Africa Operations holds two gold mining operations in Ghana: the Ahafo Mine located in the Brong-Ahafo region and the Akyem Mine located in the Eastern region. There is also near mine exploration and development focus in Ghana to annually replace gold reserves. Newmont Africa also has early-stage exploration programs in the African countries of Ethiopia and Morocco.
Our Africa operations employ approximately 5,900 employees and contractors, with the majority working at the Ahafo Mine. We offer an unparalleled blend of opportunity and career satisfaction with all the benefits you would expect from a global company. This, combined with our growth opportunities, makes Newmont a great company to work.
Our Akyem and Ahafo mines have made significant sustainable community development investments in our host communities. These include establishing Development Funds at our Akyem and Ahafo operational areas with each mine contributing US$1 per ounce of gold sold and 1% of net pre-tax annual profit into its community development fund.
The only gold company listed in the S&P 500 index, Newmont in 2007 became the first gold company selected to be part of the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index. Newmont’s industry leading performance is reflected through our Africa operations’ high standards in environmental management, health and safety for our workforce and creating value and opportunity for our employees, host communities and Newmont’s shareholders.
Job Title: Business Analyst – Payroll
About This Role:
- Are you committed to observing high-level confidentiality for all payroll related matters?
- Are you a problem solver with strong communication skills?
Join the Finance Analysis and Reporting as the Business Analyst – Payroll where you will be responsible for key stakeholder reporting, financial analyses, cost control, business planning, and payroll processing while ensuring that employees are paid in accordance with the terms of the Collective Bargaining Agreement, company’s policies and procedures and employees’ agreement.
In This Role You Will:
Stakeholder Reporting and Business Advisory Service
- Prepare and ensure accuracy of payroll computations, such as regular month end salaries, mid-month advances, bonuses, terminal payments, including severance prior to final payments to employees.
- Attend assigned departmental meetings.
- Implement metrics and monitor results for areas of responsibilities and employees to track progress towards company and departmental goals.
- Maintain a working knowledge of software applications, accounting issues, and processes so that information is efficiently and easily gathered with a high degree of accuracy with emphasis on continuous improvement.
- Assist in the performance of monthly variance analysis, comparing actual versus budget and prior periods, for both financial and payroll related information while highlighting opportunities for improved performance.
- Execute continuous improvement initiatives or opportunities within the accounting and payroll areas.
- Assist in the coordination and compilation of presentations including but not limited to monthly performance review, payroll reports, post close reports etc.
Planning and Cost Control
- Assist in the control over the maintenance of costs by responsibility, activity, cost center, element and other performance indicators.
- Respond to internal and external auditors’ requests for documentation and information for periodic audits.
- Support regional compliance with SOX, internal audit, external audit and accounting standards, guidance and procedures.
- Assist with compilation of the monthly variance analysis of the operations labour cost, looking at budget versus, actuals and previous plan etc. for regional and corporate reporting purposes
- Serve as a liaison between accounting, business planning, HR and other key stakeholders on any payroll related information and queries.
- Assist the payroll lead in liaising with HR in developing policies and procedures and monitor the compliance with such policies and procedures to ensure that the payroll function is well controlled and operates smoothly.
- Assist the regional planning, accounting and the site finance teams for corrections or modifications.
- Prepare annual, monthly and ad-hoc report for statutory agencies such as SNNIT and Ghana Revenue Authority.
- Prepare monthly accruals and provisions for severance, bonuses and other one off payroll items.
Your Training, Skills & Experience Checklist:
Formal Qualification (including Professional Registrations):
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting or finance.
- Chartered/Certified Accountant qualification is an advantage.
- Knowledge of U.S. Generally Accepted Accounting Procedures (GAAP).
- Familiarity with Ghana Income Tax Law on payroll.
- Knowledge of costing and budgeting concepts and techniques.
- Familiar with Activity Based Costing (ABC – Model).
- Between 2 and 4 years of relevant accounting experience, or 5 years of combination of education and experience in financial modeling, cost control and economic analysis, or similar.
- Familiar with country’s labor laws and payroll related legislation.
- Mining, construction, utilities or other heavy industry experience is preferred.
- Experience in SAP and Business Planning Consolidation (BPC) is preferred.
- Must have experience with a computer-based accounting system.
- Demonstrated people management experience and the ability to work with internal and external partners.
- Intermediate analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Good communication (written and verbal) and interpersonal skills.
- Advanced computer literacy skills – MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook).
- Leadership capabilities and management presentation skills.
- Time management skills.
- Good information monitoring and management skills.
- Financial administration, analysis and reporting skills.
- Team player.
- Results driven.
- Position is located in Accra.
- The incumbent may be required to travel to and support other domestic sites.