Newmont Mining Corporation is a leading global gold producer with key assets in Nevada, Peru, Australia, Ghana and Suriname.
Newmont’s Africa Operations holds two gold mining operations in Ghana: the Ahafo Mine located in the Brong-Ahafo region and the Akyem Mine located in the Eastern region. There is also near mine exploration and development focus in Ghana to annually replace gold reserves. Newmont Africa also has early-stage exploration programs in the African countries of Ethiopia and Morocco.
Our Africa operations employ approximately 5,900 employees and contractors, with the majority working at the Ahafo Mine. We offer an unparalleled blend of opportunity and career satisfaction with all the benefits you would expect from a global company. This, combined with our growth opportunities, makes Newmont a great company to work.
Our Akyem and Ahafo mines have made significant sustainable community development investments in our host communities. These include establishing Development Funds at our Akyem and Ahafo operational areas with each mine contributing US$1 per ounce of gold sold and 1% of net pre-tax annual profit into its community development fund.
The only gold company listed in the S&P 500 index, Newmont in 2007 became the first gold company selected to be part of the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index. Newmont’s industry leading performance is reflected through our Africa operations’ high standards in environmental management, health and safety for our workforce and creating value and opportunity for our employees, host communities and Newmont’s shareholders.
Job Title: Senior Security Supervisor – Investigations
About This Role
- To manage, administrate and coordinate security related investigations at all Newmont related operations in Ghana. Develop a working relationship with the Judiciary and Government Security agencies. Develop an Annual Crime Data Statistics and generate analysis on crime trends with mitigation factors.
In This Role You Will:
- Contribute to the identification and development of Akyem security contract tender specifications, and performance requirements and measures.
- Lead and manage the investigations aspect of the outsourced security contract including execution of security tasks to the appropriate standard of investigative and analytical functions.
- Track contractor performance as per Service Level Agreement (SLA) and manage any non-conformance and performance.
- Conduct security presentations, including the Voluntary Principles of Human Rights and Security (VPHRS) for company personnel, contractors and contracted Security Force employees.
- Communicate security problems or unusual events to the Site Security Manager.
- Lead and conduct investigations into theft, fraud, malicious damage, robbery and other transgressions against Newmont Golden Ridge Limited and / or its employees at the Akyem mining operations.
- Interview and obtain written statements from both Suspects and Witnesses.
- Prepare detailed reports on all investigations and make recommendations to Management for further action.
- Assist to investigate other NGRL departments in security related incidents.
- Undertake online and web investigations to determine crime and offences against the company. Provide advice and guidance on investigation security matters to company personnel, contractors and sponsored dependents.
- Act as coordination point in emergency situations by staying apprised of Rapid Response System activities, monitoring emergency activities and responding as outlined in the company’s procedure.
- Keep supervisors apprised of emergency situations with regular updates.
- Support the Site Security Manager in times of emergency by providing updates and information.
- Participate in legal proceedings by preparing evidence and presenting testimony in courts of law.
- Provide information and evidence for the legal counsel supporting the prosecution.
- Act as key witness in prosecution cases.
- Establish mechanism to protect evidence and liaise with the Police during criminal investigations.
Liaison with Law Enforcement and Judicial Officials
- Liaise with the law enforcement agencies e.g. Police National Intelligence Bureau and the Military, and other national security agencies.
- Liaise with members of the Judiciary and act as Newmont representative in court hearings.
- Manage and conduct background checks on all resources (permanent and contractor) to limit risk to the mine.
- Liaise with Police, justice department, company personnel, on site contractors and contracted security agency employees.
- Develop intelligence and information gathering network regarding any criminal or galamsey activities on the mine concession and surrounding communities.
Record Keeping and Reporting
- Prepare, perform analyses, and prepare a consolidated monthly report for review by the Site Security Manager.
- Conduct statistical analysis and identify trends on the investigation data.
- Review security related documents to provide advice and interpretation of matters contained therein.
- Maintain confidential records of current and past investigation documents.
- Maintain records of all cases, and their outcomes, which were reported to the Ghana Police Service.
- Keep confidential filing system for security investigation records.
- Maintain register of items retained in association with investigations.
- Collect, preserve and document all evidence and specimens relating to an investigation to be used in legal or other proceedings.
- Assist the Site Security Manager in developing operating budgets for the security department.
- Manage resource security aspect of the budget.
- Prepare and review reports prepared by security personnel, and take follow-up action as necessary.
- Review routine reports from subordinates and forward to the Site Security Manager for further distribution and filing.
- Report all criminal incidents to the Police, and support investigations to build a docket for prosecution.
Safety and Compliance
- Drive safety culture in all aspects of security operations.
- Oversee that all work carried out adheres to Health and Safety standard operating procedures.
- Deliver own prescribed outcomes and/or provide services by following Newmont’s Health and Safety systems and protocols.
- Ensure compliance with Ghanaian Law Regulations and Company Policy.
- Undertake site patrols and provide safety trainings to security officers at their duty locations.
- Ensure that safety, security and environmental inspection are completed as required.
- Provide support to the security team, and support the company’s safety culture.
Your Training, Skills & Experience Checklist:
Formal Qualification (including Professional Registrations):
- A degree in Security or Criminal related course.
- Professional Diploma in Security.
- Certified Protection Professional (CPP) / Certified Security Management Profession (CSMP) is preferable.
- A professional course in Security. e.g. ASIS, CSMP etc.
- Knowledge of Gold Plant Security.
- Knowledge and experience with electronic security systems is recommended.
- Professional level in written and spoken English language.
- Knowledge of informatics systems is required.
- Working knowledge of Ghana Criminal and Mine related Laws.
- Knowledge of vendors and suppliers applicable to the department.
- Knowledge of internal administration and communication processes, procedures and systems.
- Minimum of 10 years’ experience in government or private investigation institutions e.g. Police or Recognized Private Security firm.
- Ability to generate and develop an investigation report.
- Experience in public security services is preferable.
- Strong Supervisory and Management experience.
- Must have a strong administrative background and functioning knowledge of procurement, budgeting and reporting.
- Requires a high level of investigative skills.
- Motivation to work independently.
- Excellent oral and written English communications skills.
- Good interpersonal and organizational skills.
- Strong PC Skills, including MS Office, Word Excel, Power Point and outlook applications.
- Ability to deliver written reports with applicable statistics.
- Contract Management experience.
- Information Monitoring and Management skills.
- Planning, Organizing and Prioritizing skills.
- Administrative skills.
- Problem solving and negotiation skills.
- Independent minded.
- Detail focused.
- Results driven.
- Team player.
- Work efficiently and effective.
- Ability to take initiatives.
- Listening skills.
- The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representatives of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform essential functions of this job.
- Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, and ability to adjust focus.
- Physical Demands: While performing the duties of the job, the employee is required to sit at a desk for extended periods, climb stairs, walk and stand.
- Work Environment: The noise level in the office work environment is minimal. Required to work in office and field environments.
- May be required to travel and assist other domestic and international sites.