Newmont Mining Corporation is a leading global gold producer with key assets in Nevada, Peru, Australia, Ghana, and Suriname.
Newmont’s Africa Operations holds two gold mining operations in Ghana: the Ahafo Mine located in the Brong-Ahafo region and the Akyem Mine located in the Eastern region. There is also near mine exploration and development focus in Ghana to annually replace gold reserves. Newmont Africa also has early-stage exploration programs in the African countries of Ethiopia and Morocco.
Job Title: Business Improvement Facilitator
Our Africa operations employ approximately 5,900 employees and contractors, with the majority working at the Ahafo Mine. We offer an unparalleled blend of opportunity and career satisfaction with all the benefits you would expect from a global company. This, combined with our growth opportunities, makes Newmont a great company to work.
Our Akyem and Ahafo mines have made significant sustainable community development investments in our host communities. These include establishing Development Funds at our Akyem and Ahafo operational areas with each mine contributing US$1 per ounce of gold sold and 1% of net pre-tax annual profit into its community development fund.
The only gold company listed in the S&P 500 index, Newmont 2007 became the first gold company selected to be part of the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index. Newmont’s industry-leading performance is reflected through our Africa operations’ high standards in environmental management, health and safety for our workforce, and creating value and opportunity for our employees, host communities and Newmont’s shareholders.
About This Role
- Lead in the allocation of resources for the department to develop and implement continuous sustainable improvement for the production process. This is achieved by using the continuous improvement tools and methods developed during the project.
- Provide analytical support to ideas owners on the measuring and tracking of the success of ideas, generated through the improvement process.
In This Role, You Will
- Direct the development of appropriate templates, tools, and procedures for business improvement to assist with the implementation, maintenance, and enhancement of improvements across the site.
- Assist with the development and implementation of effective processes of managing and tracking these procedures for sustainability and enhancement.
- Submit weekly reports for general management reviews, weekly RARs, and daily work plan reviews.
- Minimize work area costs through the identification and elimination of non-value-adding work processes and elimination of waste.
- Maintain high standards of performance and processes in accordance.
- Ensure the development and delivery of effective training on core business improvement, tools, and systems.
- Ensure that Department personnel receive appropriate support in the management/ implementation of continuous improvement initiatives.
- Ensure that Department personnel have a clear understanding of the value creation process (and/or value destruction risks) in the department i.e., how does management add/destroy value?
- Provide the lead in developing work plans for continuous improvement of core and support services department processes.
- Support all owners of variances and coach owners to ensure effective explanations and actions.
- Identify inconsistencies between the KPIs of individuals in the department and improvement objectives and advise the Head of Department (HOD) on how these might be improved.
- Work cooperatively with others and ensure team effectiveness.
- Ensure all induction and refresher training programs include exposure to operational excellence and continuous improvement principles, processes, and practices.
- Ensure that all team members have a clear understanding of their role and accountability related to operational excellence and continuous improvement.
- Ensure that all team members have a clear understanding of how operational excellence and continuous improvement are related to the performance management process.
Analysis Data Maintenance Initiative Evaluation
- Participate in the idea-generating process, providing support through facilitation, coordination of ideas, and the evaluation (analysis) of ideas.
- Provide quantifiable results to idea owners.
- Support idea owners, to ensure timely implementation of ideas.
- Provide rapid and timely communications of key physicals and counter-physicals to facilitate the rapid optimization/halting of ideas.
- Provide support for the permanent measurement and review of Key Performance Indicators (KPIs), cascaded through the organization.
- Provide support for the continuous analysis and updating of performance targets and visual boards cascaded through the organization.
- Maintain Key Performance Indicator (KPI) Database and Business Intelligence (BI) tools and templates database in PIPWare and any other tools used to support Business Intelligence (BI) process.
- Updates visual board charts to support department meetings.
Your Training, Skills & Experience Checklist
Formal Qualification (including Professional Registrations):
- Bachelor’s degree in a mining and engineering discipline is preferred.
- Knowledge of risk and change management.
- Business improvement.
- A minimum of 3 – 7 years of relevant industry experience.
- Experience in training and facilitation.
- Advanced administrative skills.
- Advanced analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Advanced mathematical ability.
- Advanced communication (written and verbal) and interpersonal skills.
- Advanced computer literacy skills – MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook).
- Advanced project/program management and coordination skills.
- Advanced facilitation/consultation and management skills.
- Advanced planning and organizing skills.
- Coaching and mentoring skills.
- Relationship management and negotiation skills.
- Risk management and change management skills.
- Research and reporting skills.
- Business Continuity Management skills.
- Capacity Planning skills.
- Motivational and networking skills.
- Presentation skills.
- Quality Management skills.
- Goal oriented.
- Takes the initiative.
- Safety conscious.
- Customer focused.
- Attention to detail.
- Work well under pressure.
- The position is located at the Ahafo South mine.
- Personal Protective Equipment (PPE): Work requires mandatory PPE such as a helmet, goggles, highly visible clothing, safety harness, ear plugs, and dust mask according to working conditions.
- The incumbent occasionally has to work overtime.
Our business success comes from the accomplishments and well-being of our employees and contractors. Our goal is to build a workplace culture that fosters leaders and allows every person to thrive, contribute, and grow. We are committed to selecting and developing our employees, and to establishing a work environment where everyone can take an active part in reaching our strategic goals while feeling a sense of pride in working at Newmont.
Newmont seeks to recruit, hire, place and promote qualified applicants, meaning applicants who meet the minimum requirements of the position, without regard to personal characteristics such as gender, race, nationality, ethnic, social and indigenous origin, religion or belief, disability, age or sexual orientation or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. As part of our diversity efforts. females are encouraged to apply.
NOTE: Newmont does not ask for or require job applicants to pay money to apply or be considered for employment with the Company. In addition, Newmont does not ask potential job candidates to provide sensitive personal data without first submitting a job application through our secure, online portal, and only as requested for legitimate business purposes. If you are asked to provide money or sensitive personal data through any other means, do not respond, and please report this immediately to [email protected]