Newmont Mining Corporation is a leading global gold producer with key assets in Nevada, Peru, Australia, Ghana and Suriname.
Newmont’s Africa Operations holds two gold mining operations in Ghana: the Ahafo Mine located in the Brong-Ahafo region and the Akyem Mine located in the Eastern region. There is also near mine exploration and development focus in Ghana to annually replace gold reserves. Newmont Africa also has early-stage exploration programs in the African countries of Ethiopia and Morocco.
Our Africa operations employ approximately 5,900 employees and contractors, with the majority working at the Ahafo Mine. We offer an unparalleled blend of opportunity and career satisfaction with all the benefits you would expect from a global company. This, combined with our growth opportunities, makes Newmont a great company to work.
Our Akyem and Ahafo mines have made significant sustainable community development investments in our host communities. These include establishing Development Funds at our Akyem and Ahafo operational areas with each mine contributing US$1 per ounce of gold sold and 1% of net pre-tax annual profit into its community development fund.
The only gold company listed in the S&P 500 index, Newmont in 2007 became the first gold company selected to be part of the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index. Newmont’s industry leading performance is reflected through our Africa operations’ high standards in environmental management, health and safety for our workforce and creating value and opportunity for our employees, host communities and Newmont’s shareholders.
Job Title: Haul Truck Operator
About This Role
- To operate haul truck at Newmont to deliver on the daily operational targets, in a safe and controlled manner.
In This Role You Will
Haul Truck Pre-Shift and On-Shift Activities
- Attend all pre-shift instruction meetings.
- Communicate with and receive instruction from the Mine Operations Shift Supervisor and follow the specified instruction and daily haul plan, prior to the execution of activities.
- Know the truck assigned and the designated location that the truck needs to be driven to.
- Perform pre-start inspections of truck and accessories such as tyres, lights, turn signals, and brakes.
- Inspect the truck cabin and assure that all switches are operational.
- Signal Dispatcher on the two-way communication radio to inform of any detected truck defects or issues.
- Follow laid-down starting procedures and instructions on the truck screen.
- Report and escalate all accidents and incidents occurring in the shift immediately to the Dispatcher /Supervisor.
- Report any potential ore or material spillages to the Dispatcher / Supervisor with immediate effect.
- Raise any truck malfunctions or service requirements to the Supervisor at the before, during or after the shift.
- Meet and / or exceed established performance expectations set by management.
- Assist in developing peers to perform hauling duties.
- Perform other related activities, as assigned by the Supervisor.
- Follow truck assignments via jigsaw panel.
Ore and Material Haulage
- Operate and drive heavy haul trucks to transport materials.
- Remain responsible for the collection and haulage of ore from loading point to dumping destination, at the correct site locations.
- Maintain the highest level of production possible by positioning for double side loading.
- Drive to and from the pit in a safe, slow and controlled manner.
- Confirm that ore and other material is properly hauled according to safety requirements.
- Verify that the material transported (i.e. ore or waste) is correct(misroute).
- Signal the Dispatcher / Supervisor if there is any material discrepancy.
Health and Safety Management
- Follow all safety policies, procedures and legislation.
- Operate in a safe manner and take steps to prevent minimal wear and tear and/or damage to equipment.
- Work without risk or harm to others.
- Inspect work areas and ensure all areas comply with internal Newmont and external regulatory standards.
- Adhere strictly to internal Newmont water management and dewatering standards.
- Comply with safe dewatering procedures.
- Maintain a strong focus of safety throughout all activities.
- Provide hands-on assistance during hauling activitiesto fellow colleagues to ensure that safe work practices are followed.
- Attend daily morning safety meetings
Stakeholder Management and Engagement
- Communicate with Dispatcher and other Haul Truck Operators using communication devices such as two-way radios and / or on-board computers.
- Ensure shift work meets established statutory standards.
Haul Truck Post-Shift Handover
- Communicate and provide work status handovers to incoming Haul Truck Operator.
- Communicate with the Dispatcher regarding hazards encountered to provide sufficient information to the incoming Operators for the smooth running of Operations.
Your Training, Skills & Experience Checklist
Formal Qualification (including Professional Registrations):
- Senior High School Certificate.
- MINCOM Equipment Competency.
- License E.
- General understanding of mining operations.
- General knowledge in mid-to-heavy equipment operation.
- Minimum of 2 – 3 years’ experience working with Code E Vehicles in a mining and heavy industry environment.
- Experience in working within an active open pit mine is preferable.
- Strong listening skills.
- Strong concentration skills.
- Sound planning, organising and prioritising skills.
- Sound analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Sound information monitoring skills.
- Ability to operate a two-way radio and follow instructions.
- Ability to read and understand documentation.
- Ability to understand the functions of the Environmental Management System panels.
- Ability to build and maintain positive relationships with peers and supervisor.
- Continuous learning.
- Detailed oriented.
- Goal oriented.
- Takes initiative.
- Reliable and independent.
- Safety conscious.
- Team player.
- Technically Inclined.
- Ability to work well under pressure.
- The position is located at the Ahafo North mine site.
We understand no candidate will meet every single desired qualification. If your experience looks a little different from what we’ve identified and you think you can bring value to the role, we’d love to learn more about you!