Newmont Mining Corporation is a leading global gold producer with key assets in Nevada, Peru, Australia, Ghana and Suriname.
Newmont’s Africa Operations holds two gold mining operations in Ghana: the Ahafo Mine located in the Brong-Ahafo region and the Akyem Mine located in the Eastern region. There is also near mine exploration and development focus in Ghana to annually replace gold reserves. Newmont Africa also has early-stage exploration programs in the African countries of Ethiopia and Morocco.
Our Africa operations employ approximately 5,900 employees and contractors, with the majority working at the Ahafo Mine. We offer an unparalleled blend of opportunity and career satisfaction with all the benefits you would expect from a global company. This, combined with our growth opportunities, makes Newmont a great company to work.
Our Akyem and Ahafo mines have made significant sustainable community development investments in our host communities. These include establishing Development Funds at our Akyem and Ahafo operational areas with each mine contributing US$1 per ounce of gold sold and 1% of net pre-tax annual profit into its community development fund.
The only gold company listed in the S&P 500 index, Newmont in 2007 became the first gold company selected to be part of the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index. Newmont’s industry leading performance is reflected through our Africa operations’ high standards in environmental management, health and safety for our workforce and creating value and opportunity for our employees, host communities and Newmont’s shareholders.
Job Title: Senior Trainer – Mine Operations
- To guarantee cost effective competency-based training programs are delivered to Mining Operations / Equipment Operators and to develop the required skills and values. It involves scheduling of classes, on-the-job training and assessment to provide trained and skilled workforce for the mining operations which includes the implementation and monitoring of the local work force.
- Comply with all Newmont Ghana Occupational Health and Safety requirements as well as those required under relevant Ghana legislation.
- Certify complete recording policies and procedures are maintained.
- Contribute towards identifying the training needs for the mining workforce.
- Support with the approved company mobile equipment licensing system
- Travel to and support other Newmont sites if required
Training and Assessment
- Conduct immersive / simulator training programs
- Conduct mobile equipment operations training programs
- Conduct driver / live vehicle licensing and permitting programs
- Develop training packages
- Train the national workforce to Newmont Standards.
- Train Mining standard operating procedures to mining staff
- Assess operators through various stages of competency for competency progression.
- Assess and evaluate in support of operator recruitment
Training & Experience
- Diploma in Minerals Engineering or Chemical Engineering.
- Workplace Trainer / Assessor Certification.
- Knowledge of Ghana Occupational Health and Safety laws.
- Between 5 to 7 years’ experience operating heavy mobile equipment in open pit mining operations.
- Experience with competency-based training, on and off job.
- Advanced communication (written and verbal) and interpersonal skills.
- Leadership skills.
- Ability to plan and deliver process training activities.
- Coaching skills.
- Strong training facilitation and presentation skills.
- Strong computer skills using Microsoft Office suite software such as Excel, Word and PowerPoint.
- Results driven.
- Work well under pressure.
- Travel on a regular basis is the norm.