Newmont Mining Corporation is a leading global gold producer with key assets in Nevada, Peru, Australia, Ghana and Suriname.
Newmont’s Africa Operations holds two gold mining operations in Ghana: the Ahafo Mine located in the Brong-Ahafo region and the Akyem Mine located in the Eastern region. There is also near mine exploration and development focus in Ghana to annually replace gold reserves. Newmont Africa also has early-stage exploration programs in the African countries of Ethiopia and Morocco.
Our Africa operations employ approximately 5,900 employees and contractors, with the majority working at the Ahafo Mine. We offer an unparalleled blend of opportunity and career satisfaction with all the benefits you would expect from a global company. This, combined with our growth opportunities, makes Newmont a great company to work.
Our Akyem and Ahafo mines have made significant sustainable community development investments in our host communities. These include establishing Development Funds at our Akyem and Ahafo operational areas with each mine contributing US$1 per ounce of gold sold and 1% of net pre-tax annual profit into its community development fund.
The only gold company listed in the S&P 500 index, Newmont in 2007 became the first gold company selected to be part of the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index. Newmont’s industry leading performance is reflected through our Africa operations’ high standards in environmental management, health and safety for our workforce and creating value and opportunity for our employees, host communities and Newmont’s shareholders.
Job Title: Senior Manager – Sourcing & Procurement
- To develop, implement, continuously improve and execute Newmont’s procurement strategy, policies and guidelines to drive shared goals and objectives across the entire supply chain and specifically for goods and service-oriented categories and contracts across the Africa region ( Ahafo, Akyem, Accra and Exploration).
- To develop procurement vision for the region in alignment with Corporate and Regional objectives and builds strong working relationships with internal stakeholders. To enhance Newmont’s overall procurement capability through continuous improvement and development of the organization.
- Responsible for Ghana’s execution of the Lifecycle Procurement and Contract Management program while being the business process expert for the stage gate process. To lead the team in identifying and capturing new enterprise spend areas to add value and drive cost savings and drive synergy in the overall regional supply chain. Owner of the regional strategic sourcing portfolio covering all critical goods and services required for sustainable to safe mining operation.
- Develop strong alignment with global category management and technical services organisation in order to drive the total cost of ownership. Acts as key sourcing and procurement advisor for the regional operations.
- Actively demonstrate the Newmont values of Safety, Integrity, Sustainability, Inclusion and responsibility at all times.
Global Category Management
- Develop strategies and support the execution of Global Categories in the region.
- Drive alignment and engagement with the Global Category team , In order to drive value for the region.
- Apply and manage LPCM methodology utilizing formalized tools and templates, rigorous document control and knowledge management, and a comprehensive matrix of formal engagement, alignment and governance meetings with various project stakeholders
Interface into Business Planning Technical Services
- Be the strategic interface between business planning, and technical services functions to drove strategic value to their budget
- Lead the team of contracts managers and contract administrators in executing the strategy
- Identifying and capturing new enterprise spend areas to add value and drive cost savings.
- Have direct people management responsibility for all sourcing and procurement personnel in the region excluding the Local-Local team.
- Champion knowledge sharing across team and ensuring SC team continues to develop and consistently implement best in class tools and techniques.
- Practice appropriate leadership and management disciplines with indirect reports to achieve Business goals.
- Support and contribute to team building events and team dynamics through personally displaying leadership and team attributes.
Regional Category Management
- Own the Regional Sourcing and Procurement Portfolio.
- Drive the execution of the categories within the portfolio.
- Validate and record all savings and cost avoidance.
- Drive alignment with transactional procurement to ensure consistent use of Newmont procurement standards.
- Develop capability for end users regarding regional category management.
- Accountable for the execution of Lifecycle procurement and contract management process.
- Provide active leadership and support across the region to enable effective team performance.
Sourcing and Procurement Strategy
- Develop and execute regional sourcing and procurement strategy for sites, regional operations, exploration in order to achieve successful execution of budget plans and investment via the procurement lifecycle.
- Develop, implement, continuously improve and execute Newmont’s procurement strategy, policies and guidelines to drive shared goals and objectives across the entire supply chain and specifically for goods and service-oriented categories and contracts across the region.
- Develop sourcing and procurement vision for the region in alignment with Corporate and Regional objectives and builds strong working relationships with internal stakeholders.
- Enhance Newmont’s overall procurement capability through continuous improvement and development of the organization.
- Drive the delivery of supply chain deliverables in the supplier risk management process in all sourcing and procurement activities.
The above duties and responsibilities are representative of the nature and level of work assigned and are not necessarily all-inclusive.
Training & Experience
Formal Qualification (including Professional Registrations):
- Bachelor’s degree in Business, Supply Chain Management, Accounting, Engineering or related field.
- Strong knowledge of SAP or equivalent enterprise level software packages is necessary.
- Between 10 to 15 years of directly related Supply Chain, Procurement, Logistics experience or equivalent combination of training and experience are necessary.
- Highly effective interpersonal skills necessary to obtain continued support from and influence internal clients including executives.
- Strong negotiation, quantitative and presentation skills.
- Must exhibit outstanding verbal and written communication skills, as well as organizational skills, and deductive reasoning skills.
- Demonstrated strong analytical and communication skills (writing & verbal skills).
- Ability to work collaboratively with technical experts, practitioners and vendors.
- Ability to foresee market trends and stay ahead of the competition
- Strong organizational and problem solving skills
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite including Visio, PowerPoint, and Excel
- Strong PC skills using MS office software
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Strong computer skills using office software such as Excel, Word, PowerPoint, and Visio.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Excellent negotiation skills.
- Ability to develop team and transfer knowledge.
- Analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Assessment and auditing skills.
- Business continuity.
- Consultation and facilitation skills.
- Decision making.
- Education and training.
- Entrepreneurial skills.
- Keeping minutes.
- Liaison and networking skills.
- Needs analysis.
- Relationship management.
- Risk management.
- Service management.
- Supply Chain management.
- Time management.
- Sourcing and Procurement
- Lifecycle Procurement and Contract Management Praticioner
- Supplier Risk Management Process Practitioner
- Assertive and influential.
- Customer focused.
- Reliable and independent.
- Safety conscious.
- Results Driven.
- Willing to learn continually.
- Work well under pressure.
- Regular travel is required.
- The incumbent is exposed to an environment with almost continuous exposure to health or accidents hazards.
- The incumbent is exposed to an environment where the need for detailed or precise work is extreme.
- The incumbent is exposed to extreme mental pressure and stress.
Our business success comes from the accomplishments and well-being of our employees and contractors. Our goal is to build a workplace culture that fosters leaders and allows every person to thrive, contribute, and grow. We are committed to selecting and developing our employees, and to establishing a work environment where everyone can take an active part in reaching our strategic goals while feeling a sense of pride in working at Newmont.