Newmont Mining Corporation is a leading global gold producer with key assets in Nevada, Peru, Australia, Ghana and Suriname.
Newmont’s Africa Operations holds two gold mining operations in Ghana: the Ahafo Mine located in the Brong-Ahafo region and the Akyem Mine located in the Eastern region. There is also near mine exploration and development focus in Ghana to annually replace gold reserves. Newmont Africa also has early-stage exploration programs in the African countries of Ethiopia and Morocco.
Our Africa operations employ approximately 5,900 employees and contractors, with the majority working at the Ahafo Mine. We offer an unparalleled blend of opportunity and career satisfaction with all the benefits you would expect from a global company. This, combined with our growth opportunities, makes Newmont a great company to work.
Our Akyem and Ahafo mines have made significant sustainable community development investments in our host communities. These include establishing Development Funds at our Akyem and Ahafo operational areas with each mine contributing US$1 per ounce of gold sold and 1% of net pre-tax annual profit into its community development fund.
The only gold company listed in the S&P 500 index, Newmont in 2007 became the first gold company selected to be part of the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index. Newmont’s industry leading performance is reflected through our Africa operations’ high standards in environmental management, health and safety for our workforce and creating value and opportunity for our employees, host communities and Newmont’s shareholders.
Job Title: Human Resources Representatives
This role is to provide support to below sections in the Human Resource Department.
- Compensation & Benefits: Support the Compensation and Benefits to analyze, recommend and monitor competitive compensation programs, policies, and procedures consistent with the Company’s global remuneration strategy, assuring internal equity and external competitiveness.
- Employee Relations: Support the Employee Relations to implement, administer and evaluate employee relations policies and guidelines at the workplace in order to maintain relationships and working conditions that balance employer/ employee needs.
Employee Relations/HR Administration
- Act as the first point of contact for employees related issues in Accra.
- Assist in the management and integration of Employee benefits administration in line with HR policies and procedures.
- Ensure timely processing of all payroll related request in Accra.
- Assist in the maintenance of industrial discipline in accordance with policy and ensuring fairness in the administration benefits.
- Assist Employee Relations/Accra HR Manager and where appropriate line managers in handling personnel/Industrial Relation problems.
- Assist in the coordination and communication of all promotions and transfers etc.
- Responsible for up to date reporting of employee relations activities and trends as well as all documentation in relation to various departments’ employee relations issues.
- Assist in recruitment, selection and onboarding process as required.
- Schedules all employee disciplinary meetings, exit interviews, and other meetings as assigned.
- Participates in Disciplinary Committee meetings and completes detailed and accurate notes of all proceedings.
- Drafts communication materials to the organization in support of the terms and conditions of work as defined in the Collective Agreements (CAs).
- Drafts responses to industrial relations issues such as employee complaints, harassment allegations, and/or other actions as assigned.
- Responsible for regional union communications including communications from the National Union leadership i.e. Ghana Mineworkers Union (GMWU).
- Participate in contract negotiations with junior and senior staff as a recorder of the JSNC and assist in the implementation of outcomes.
- Assist the Employee Relations/Accra HR Manager with the management and reporting of the Pension schemes.
- Maintain and update all case files of all employees litigation and that the disciplinary & grievance procedures/process are followed to ensure consistency across sites.
- Assist in the administration of medical benefit in line with Managed Care Scheme including review of validation of employee and dependents.
Compensation & Benefits
- Provide support in market compensation surveys data collection.
- Ensure that compensation and benefits programs are compliant with applicable laws and regulations, as well as consistent with corporate guidelines.
- Receive process and compile employee spot awards and generate monthly summary reports.
- Establish external network in an effort to monitor and forecast labour market changes and business needs.
- Liaise with managers to develop JDs for new positions.
- Analyze changes in salaries or salary grades that deviate from policy or job structure.
- Support generation of ad-hoc compensation monthly reports from the HRIS database as necessary.
- Provide necessary compensation support to hiring and /or promotion managers.
- Perform administrative/clerical duties related to compensation as and when assigned.
- Act as the first point of contact for employees with compensation complaints and coordinate promotion and new hire salary issues between the sites.
- Responsible for all compensation related administrative and logistics issues for the efficient running of the unit.
- Responsible for administration and management of employee wellness program.
The above duties and responsibilities are representative of the nature and level of work assigned and are not necessarily all-inclusive.
Training & Experience
- Minimum of BA/BSc in Human Resources, Business Administration, or related discipline. An MBA with HR Bias is an added advantage
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office suit including Word, Excel and Power point.