Newmont Mining Corporation is a leading global gold producer with key assets in Nevada, Peru, Australia, Ghana and Suriname.
Newmont’s Africa Operations holds two gold mining operations in Ghana: the Ahafo Mine located in the Brong-Ahafo region and the Akyem Mine located in the Eastern region. There is also near mine exploration and development focus in Ghana to annually replace gold reserves. Newmont Africa also has early-stage exploration programs in the African countries of Ethiopia and Morocco.
Our Africa operations employ approximately 5,900 employees and contractors, with the majority working at the Ahafo Mine. We offer an unparalleled blend of opportunity and career satisfaction with all the benefits you would expect from a global company. This, combined with our growth opportunities, makes Newmont a great company to work.
Our Akyem and Ahafo mines have made significant sustainable community development investments in our host communities. These include establishing Development Funds at our Akyem and Ahafo operational areas with each mine contributing US$1 per ounce of gold sold and 1% of net pre-tax annual profit into its community development fund.
The only gold company listed in the S&P 500 index, Newmont in 2007 became the first gold company selected to be part of the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index. Newmont’s industry leading performance is reflected through our Africa operations’ high standards in environmental management, health and safety for our workforce and creating value and opportunity for our employees, host communities and Newmont’s shareholders.
Job Title: Community Relations Specialist
- To develop and implement Newmont’s Community Relations programs/activities for the Ahafo Mine, to maintain effective and cooperative relationships with the surrounding communities and other stakeholders.
Implementation and Monitoring
- Implement and monitor community relations programs and activities
- Oversee the consistent application of programs, policies and procedures, in accordance with Newmont business objectives to achieve community acceptance.
- Identify areas for improvement to create harmonious relationships between Newmont and community stakeholders
- Proactively engage communities to voice issues, concerns and expectations in a consultative and productive manner, with minimal disruption operations.
- Liaise with local, regional and traditional authorities to align with Community Relations needs and requirements.
- Attend to invitations made by community stakeholders and participate in fruitful diagnostic meeting.
- Mobilize community groups (i.e. youth, assemblymen, farmers) in support of mine related activities.
- Establish and maintain cooperative relationships with relevant community stakeholders and local NGOs/CBOs to establish smooth implementation and operation of community programs.
- Identify potential conflict situations in the communities proactively.
- Engage in a dual dialogue with the community and Senior Newmont management to facilitate the addressing of such conflicts.
- Lead and coordinate the activities of the Community Relations Officers.
- Provide support, coaching and training to Community Relations teams to embed Community Relations best practices.
Budget and Payments
- Develop and approve the Community Relations budget for the financial year, in consultation with the Relations Officers.
- Provide approval and sign-off on all expenses within own allocated limit.
- Contribution to the Zero Harm goal of Ahafo with focus on quality Safety interactions, Inspections, Audits, Risk Assessment & Impact Mitigation and Control Systems.
Training & Experience
- First Degree in Social Sciences, Social Work or a related discipline
- Minimum of 8 years’ experience in Community Relations
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience in a supervisory role
- Advance interpersonal skills(interacting with diverse functional and cultural backgrounds)
- Strong communication(Written and verbal ) skills
- Strong planning, prioritizing and coordination skills
- Strong reporting skills
- Strong conflict management skills
- Goal oriented
- Results Driven
- High quality orientation