Newmont Mining Corporation is a leading global gold producer with key assets in Nevada, Peru, Australia, Ghana and Suriname.
Newmont’s Africa Operations holds two gold mining operations in Ghana: the Ahafo Mine located in the Brong-Ahafo region and the Akyem Mine located in the Eastern region. There is also near mine exploration and development focus in Ghana to annually replace gold reserves. Newmont Africa also has early-stage exploration programs in the African countries of Ethiopia and Morocco.
Our Africa operations employ approximately 5,900 employees and contractors, with the majority working at the Ahafo Mine. We offer an unparalleled blend of opportunity and career satisfaction with all the benefits you would expect from a global company. This, combined with our growth opportunities, makes Newmont a great company to work.
Our Akyem and Ahafo mines have made significant sustainable community development investments in our host communities. These include establishing Development Funds at our Akyem and Ahafo operational areas with each mine contributing US$1 per ounce of gold sold and 1% of net pre-tax annual profit into its community development fund.
The only gold company listed in the S&P 500 index, Newmont in 2007 became the first gold company selected to be part of the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index. Newmont’s industry leading performance is reflected through our Africa operations’ high standards in environmental management, health and safety for our workforce and creating value and opportunity for our employees, host communities and Newmont’s shareholders.
Job Title: Community Relations Representative III
Represent the Company in all matters relating to site projects with the communities including attendance at community group meetings , observation and clarification of community perceptions.
1. Contractor Engagements
- Ensure contractor compliance to the local employment agreement and community quotas for all unskilled labour
- Support contractors with unskilled labour recruitment process relating to community balloting and backgrounds checks.
- Validate all contractor local employment for projects
- Investigate claims and cordinate contractor management and employee grievance resolutions to the satisfaction of all parties
2. Community Relations and Stakeholder Engagements
- Identify and build relationship between youth groups, traditional authorities, various community groups and the company
- Project the company’s image to the communities through representation at cultural gathering and other forums
- Liaise and prepare communities for engagement with the company
- Monitor and report on community perceptions, responses and attitudes toward the development process.
- Ensure access to trust of community and opinion leaders through weekly engagements
- Serve as a point of contact for community and individual compliants and grievances regarding projects
- Monitor, investigae and report on areas of possible community/ human right breach /abuse.
- Report all incidents and accidents in the work group to enable management to identify areas for improvement in work practices
- Demonstrate leadership in safety and comply with Newmont Ghana HSLP policies and procedures that involve but are not limited to Safety inspections, safety training,annual refresher,safety talks,incident reporting and investigations etc.
- Present information accurately at safety/environemnts meetings.
Training & Experience
Training and Experience
- First degree in Social Science or related field
- Good understanding of local culture and practices
- Conflict resolutions skills
- Minimum of 3 years community relation experience working in the mining or related industrial operations environments
- Good interpersonal skills(interacting with diverse functional and cultural backgrounds
- Strong communications(written and verbal skills)
- Strong reporting skills
- Stong planning, prioritizing and cordination skilss
- strong consultation skills
- Very strong ability to translate technical language into local dialect
- Ability to explain technical issues to lay persons
- Strong interpersonal skills to deal with people from various backgrounds: ethic,cultural and education
- Strong dissipation of knowledges of local community customs and tradition
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to be empathetic to sensitive community issues
- Ability to give people and feeling that theu are being listened to
- Basic computer skills
- Sound computer literacy skilss-MS office(Word, Excel, Powerpoint and Outlook)
- Strong leadership
- Strong detail focus
- Directive and takes intiative
- Honesty and Integrity
- Goal oriented
- High quality orientation
- High level of transparency
- Reliable and independent
- Ability to multitask
- There is a potential risk to health and personal abuse during duty
- however, working environment of incumbent is safe. Unsafe conditions have been identified and measures have been put in place either to eliminate or mitigate unsafe working conditions
- Besides planned work, daily activities are determined by emerging business needs and priorities as dictated by Management. This situation leads to performing different tasks at the same time.