Newmont Mining Corporation is a leading global gold producer with key assets in Nevada, Peru, Australia, Ghana and Suriname.
Newmont’s Africa Operations holds two gold mining operations in Ghana: the Ahafo Mine located in the Brong-Ahafo region and the Akyem Mine located in the Eastern region. There is also near mine exploration and development focus in Ghana to annually replace gold reserves. Newmont Africa also has early-stage exploration programs in the African countries of Ethiopia and Morocco.
Our Africa operations employ approximately 5,900 employees and contractors, with the majority working at the Ahafo Mine. We offer an unparalleled blend of opportunity and career satisfaction with all the benefits you would expect from a global company. This, combined with our growth opportunities, makes Newmont a great company to work.
Our Akyem and Ahafo mines have made significant sustainable community development investments in our host communities. These include establishing Development Funds at our Akyem and Ahafo operational areas with each mine contributing US$1 per ounce of gold sold and 1% of net pre-tax annual profit into its community development fund.
The only gold company listed in the S&P 500 index, Newmont in 2007 became the first gold company selected to be part of the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index. Newmont’s industry leading performance is reflected through our Africa operations’ high standards in environmental management, health and safety for our workforce and creating value and opportunity for our employees, host communities and Newmont’s shareholders.
Job Title: Health & Safety Coordinator
To assist in building, implementing and overseeing the Health and Safety programs and initiatives for the Akyem site.
- Facilitate the development and review of Health and Safety standards and procedures, in accordance with site, Newmont and local Ghanaian regulations and legislation.
- Work with department managers to design, develop and administer Newmont programs that link to the current Health and Safety strategy to protect employees from work hazards and prevent incidents/accidents.
- Facilitate and promote the adoption of new Health and Safety programs and practices.
- Facilitate inspections to verify that Health and Safety requirements and governmental legislation is being followed at all times.
- Provide technical expertise in investigating HS events..
- Facilitate Health and Safety audits, risk assessments, reviews and inspections.
- Coordinate the integration of Health and Safety activities into production efforts.
- Administer internal Health and Safety consulting services to Newmont line management.
- Act in the capacity of a team leader for task forces and teams, as and when required.
- Partner with site leadership to optimise the on-site safety programs and systems in Akyem.
- Facilitate post-activity reviews to determine if all Akyem employees are adequately trained and coached to perform their roles effectively.
- Facilitate event investigations to identify control failures, root causes and appropriate corrective actions to be taken.
- Identify potentially hazardous situations and report to the department owner for immediate action and correction.
- Maintain and report on Health and Safety records and statistics.
- Monitor, analyse and suggest improvements from lead and lag Health and Safety indicators.
- Review internal and external Health and Safety reports within the contractor areas that need improvement; and implement measures to minimise the occurrence of unfavourable incidents.
- Highlight non-compliance violations perpetrated by employees and bring this to the department head immediate attention.
- Assist line management regarding Health and Safety hazard identification exercises, risk management processes, safety rules, regulations and trends.
- Provide coaching and guidance to the safety representatives within their allocated departments.
- Provide guidance to supervisors within their allocated departments.
Training & Experience
- Bachelors’ Degree in Health and Safety or Engineering.
- National Examination Board of Occupational Safety and Health (NEBOSH) General Certification in Occupational Health and Safety.
- Thorough knowledge of relevant local Health and Safety legislative requirements.
- Sound understanding of Safety Management systems.
- Sound knowledge and experience of risk management and loss prevention processes.
- Additional auditing qualification is desirable.
- Minimum of 3 – 5 years’ working experience as a Health and Safety Officer.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Strong communication (written and verbal) and interpersonal skills.
- Strong computer literacy skills – MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook).
- Works in an office setting with regular visits to operational areas not all of which have high exposures to hazardous environments.
Our business success comes from the accomplishments and well-being of our employees and contractors. Our goal is to build a workplace culture that fosters leaders and allows every person to thrive, contribute, and grow. We are committed to selecting and developing our employees, and to establishing a work environment where everyone can take an active part in reaching our strategic goals while feeling a sense of pride in working at Newmont.