Newmont Mining Corporation is a leading global gold producer with key assets in Nevada, Peru, Australia, New Zealand, Indonesia, Ghana and Suriname.
Newmont‘s Africa Operations holds two gold mining operations in Ghana: the Ahafo Mine located in the Brong-Ahafo region and the Akyem Mine located in the Eastern region. There is also near mine exploration and development focus in Ghana to annually replace gold reserves. Newmont Africa also has early-stage exploration programmes in the African countries of Ethiopia and Morocco.
Our Africa operations employ approximately 5,900 employees and contractors, with the majority working at the Ahafo Mine.
We offer an unparalleled blend of opportunity and career satisfaction with all the benefits you would expect from a global company. This, combined with our growth opportunities, makes Newmont a great company to work.
Our Akyem and Ahafo mines have made significant sustainable community development investments in our host communities. These include establishing Development Funds at our Akyem and Ahafo operational areas with each mine contributing US$1 per ounce of gold sold and 1% of net pre-tax annual profit into its community development fund.
The only gold company listed in the S&P 500 index, Newmont in 2007 became the first gold company selected to be part of the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index. Newmont’s industry leading performance is reflected through our Africa operations’ high standards in environmental management, health and safety for our workforce and creating value and opportunity for our employees, host communities and Newmont’s shareholders.
Job Title: Process Superintendent
To coordinate and manage the activities of teams consisting of General Foremen, Supervisors, Engineers and Metallurgists, in the operation of the Akyem process plant to attain maximum production in a safe and cost effective manner.
Safety and Environment
- Comply with all Newmont Occupational Health, Safety and Environmental requirements
- Accept personal responsibility for the health and safety of every employee under or assigned to his/her supervision
- Comply with all HSLP, Environment and Social Responsibility requirements under Newmont’s Integrated Management System, Newmont vision and values
- Conduct and complete incident / accident investigations and take corrective action to prevent injury and / or re-occurrence
- Ensure implementation of job and safety training programs
- Ensure that applicable environmental regulations and compliance programs are implemented
- Plan and direct plant production volume to meet schedules and delivery dates
- Coordinate with maintenance plans for plant equipment to ensure production requirements are met
- Prepare work schedules and ensure that the process equipment is run to give the best economic return between equipment longevity and throughput.
- Prepare and maintain production reports
- Coordinate activities with technical, metallurgical and assay departments; set and maintain metallurgical operations standards
- Initiate projects and direct activities leading to continuous improvement of safety and production
- Directly supervise the General Foreman, Shift Trainers and Chief Metallurgists
- Ensure that staff training and development programs are conducted in accordance with Newmont’s people development program
- Ensure the transfer of technology from expatriate to national employees and the promotion and support of national employee training and skill development
Functional Planning/ Scheduling
- Responsible for the development of operations functional work plans
- Responsible for the achievement of the plans and goals through ongoing monitoring of progress
- Responsible to ensure risks (business, safety, environmental, health, etc) impacting the processing operations are managed to the required standard/ level
- Responsible to write AFE’s for capital expenditure that will improve throughput, reduce cost or improve efficiencies
- Appropriately manage the capital program for the processing production section:
- As an AFE manager for Sustaining capital ensure:
- Timeliness in submission of AFEs
- Quality of submitted AFEs
- Timeliness of capital spend
- As a Cost Center manager with sustaining capital ensure:
- Sustaining capital expenditure will be within set target ranges, adjusted for changes in planning assumptions and decisions
- As an AFE manager with a closed project ensure:
- Prompt closing out of projects
- Project deliverables have been met
- Responsible for input to the Business Planning process
- Responsible for budgeting and cost control for a number of cost centers
- Accountable for approval of purchases and expenditure within the delegated limits of authority
- Oversee development projects, control and direct project status, initiate corrective action to deliver projects on time and cost by ensuring project compliance and quality are achieved while identifying improvement opportunities
The above duties and responsibilities are representative of the nature and level of work assigned and are not necessarily all-inclusive
- The position is located at the Akyem mine site in Ghana, West Africa
- Managing operations in a very environmentally sensitive and socially challenging environment
- May be required to travel to and assist at other domestic and international sites
Training & Experience
- Bachelor Degree/ Diploma in Metallurgical Engineering or Mineral Processing or related field and equivalent combination of training and experience in leading large multi-national processing plant
- Possess combined experience in management or superintendent level in mining industry of construction, commissioning and operational phases of large-scale processing plant
- Minimum 10 years’ experience in mineral processing plant, with a minimum of 3 years in gold processing
- Management and supervisory experience of a minimum of 5 years is required, with some managing a large group of employees, both staff and hourly
- Management and supervisory experience in a developing country is preferred
- Process start-up experience would be a plus
Skills And Abilities
- Strong PC skills using office software such as Excel, Word and Power Point.
- Strong presentation, facilitation, and consultation skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Negotiation and conflict resolution skills
- Ability to identify and analyze organizational needs
Qualified Ghanaian nationals are encouraged to apply.