Newmont Mining Corporation is a leading global gold producer with key assets in Nevada, Peru, Australia, Ghana and Suriname.
Newmont’s Africa Operations holds two gold mining operations in Ghana: the Ahafo Mine located in the Brong-Ahafo region and the Akyem Mine located in the Eastern region. There is also near mine exploration and development focus in Ghana to annually replace gold reserves. Newmont Africa also has early-stage exploration programs in the African countries of Ethiopia and Morocco.
Our Africa operations employ approximately 5,900 employees and contractors, with the majority working at the Ahafo Mine. We offer an unparalleled blend of opportunity and career satisfaction with all the benefits you would expect from a global company. This, combined with our growth opportunities, makes Newmont a great company to work.
Our Akyem and Ahafo mines have made significant sustainable community development investments in our host communities. These include establishing Development Funds at our Akyem and Ahafo operational areas with each mine contributing US$1 per ounce of gold sold and 1% of net pre-tax annual profit into its community development fund.
The only gold company listed in the S&P 500 index, Newmont in 2007 became the first gold company selected to be part of the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index. Newmont’s industry leading performance is reflected through our Africa operations’ high standards in environmental management, health and safety for our workforce and creating value and opportunity for our employees, host communities and Newmont’s shareholders.
Job Title: Commercial Manager – Capital Projects
- Lead position responsible for the management and oversight of assigned regional commercial activities in support of major capital projects ($100M-$1B). Provides support, expertise and group training in areas of contract and procurement, legal, insurance, project risk and contract pricing and financing.
- Responsible for the implementation and execution of Newmont purchasing strategy and regional commercial policies and procedures. Responsible for identifying and capturing new enterprise spend to add value and drive cost savings.
As Commercial Manager:
- Advises and provides expertise to Project Managers on all aspects of commercial management for major capital projects.
- Develops commercial strategies, including contract, insurance and fee structures.
- Develops, negotiates, executes and manages large capital contracts including EPC & EPCM contracts.
- Manages cross-flow activities with Supply Chain, including development of project business readiness activities.
- Performs direct contract administration of large capital projects when required.
- Supports project teams on transportation and logistics strategy.
- Manages project warehouse and material laydown functions as required.
- Provides expertise to project teams on tax and withholding issues.
- Interfaces with key project functions to promote and ensure continuity across all projects and build and maintain strong working relationships with internal clients.
- Develops and provides training and capability development to project staff.
- Responsible for all assigned sourcing and procurement targets and key performance indicators for the commercial function, including negotiating and documenting savings.
- Manage EPC/EPCM contractor performance and contract compliance on major capital projects.
- Know and comply with the current Mining Safety and Hygiene legal regulations and Loss Prevention procedures of Newmont.
- Demonstrate social awareness, commitment and compliance with Newmont’s Social Responsibility Policy, always showing a socially responsible behavior with the Community and with the Company.
- Develop skills and abilities of indirect reports through ongoing feedback, career guidance and mentoring for all resources in the supply chain organization
The above duties and responsibilities are representative of the nature and level of work assigned and are not necessarily all-inclusive.
Training & Experience
- Knowledge of SAP/CLM is necessary
- Two years experience in EPCM contracting, procurement and materials management
- Bachelor’s degree in Business, Supply Chain, Accounting or related field or equivalent experience
- Two + year’s experience in of directly related procurement experience or equivalent combination of training and experience are necessary.
Skills and Abilities:
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Mining experience preferred
- Strong computer skills using office software such as Excel, Word, PowerPoint, and Visio.
- Work at project sites as key member of the project team.
- Collaboration and interaction is expected across the regional Commercial organization as well as across other service and operational areas of Newmont.
- Position may be required to travel to, and assist other domestic operations
Our business success comes from the accomplishments and well-being of our employees and contractors. Our goal is to build a workplace culture that fosters leaders and allows every person to thrive, contribute, and grow. We are committed to selecting and developing our employees, and to establishing a work environment where everyone can take an active part in reaching our strategic goals while feeling a sense of pride in working at Newmont.