Newmont Mining Corporation is a leading global gold producer with key assets in Nevada, Peru, Australia, Ghana and Suriname.
Newmont’s Africa Operations holds two gold mining operations in Ghana: the Ahafo Mine located in the Brong-Ahafo region and the Akyem Mine located in the Eastern region. There is also near mine exploration and development focus in Ghana to annually replace gold reserves. Newmont Africa also has early-stage exploration programs in the African countries of Ethiopia and Morocco.
Our Africa operations employ approximately 5,900 employees and contractors, with the majority working at the Ahafo Mine. We offer an unparalleled blend of opportunity and career satisfaction with all the benefits you would expect from a global company. This, combined with our growth opportunities, makes Newmont a great company to work.
Our Akyem and Ahafo mines have made significant sustainable community development investments in our host communities. These include establishing Development Funds at our Akyem and Ahafo operational areas with each mine contributing US$1 per ounce of gold sold and 1% of net pre-tax annual profit into its community development fund.
The only gold company listed in the S&P 500 index, Newmont in 2007 became the first gold company selected to be part of the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index. Newmont’s industry leading performance is reflected through our Africa operations’ high standards in environmental management, health and safety for our workforce and creating value and opportunity for our employees, host communities and Newmont’s shareholders.
Job Title: Underground Mine Maintenance General Foreman – Electrical and Instrumentation
To manage the electrical and instrumentation maintenance personnel and activities for the underground mine with the aims of ensuring equipment is maintained in a fit for purpose and safe condition, delivering optimum plant and equipment availability, minimizing unplanned maintenance tasks and reducing maintenance costs.
General electrical maintenance duties
- Build and develop an electrical and instrumentation maintenance team capable of meeting the business requirements of the underground mine.
- Develop and implement maintenance strategies based in RCM techniques, budgets and plans to ensure the maximum availability of electrical apparatus and installations at optimum cost.
- Conduct troubleshooting of all the electrical systems including communication equipment installed.
- Communicate with maintenance, operational and planning personnel to identify, plan, estimate and organise the proper labor, services, equipment and skills to ensure they are available as required.
- Collaborate with the supply chain department and maintenance planning to ensure that all the necessary maintenance parts, materials and supplies are available to maintain the underground mine and associated facilities.
- Provide input into failure analysis studies and recommend alternative strategies for maintenance.
- Collect and analyze data to propose changes in the underground mine maintenance procedures and / or electrical designs.
Electrical Maintenance Management
- To organise, coordinate and oversee the performance of all E & I related activities such as the installation, commissioning, maintenance, repair, inspection and decommissioning of plant and equipment in the underground mine and associated infrastructure in conjunction with the E & I team.
- Provide hands-on assistance during E&I maintenance activities and ensure that safe work practices are followed.
- Manage and coordinate the completion of corrective actions.
- Provide technical support and expert advice as required when work is to be carried on any of the underground mine E & I infrastructure ensuring safe work practices are followed.
- Liaise with the Process plant E & I general foreman and the Ghana Grid Company area management personnel to resolve issues that will hinder the delivery of a reliable and stable electrical power supply to the underground mine that complies with the technical requirements of the business.
- Ensure that all E & I apparatus, installations and related work satisfies the requirements of the Mineral and Mining (Health, Safety and Technical) Regulation, LI 2182.
- Perform Engineering inspections on equipment and maintenance activities in order to ensure it is being implemented as designed and in accordance with OEM requirements.
- Consulting with OEM’s on any alterations or modifications that are required for their equipment to obtain optimum performance.
- Provide effective and efficient control of high voltage switching and high voltage overhead power line maintenance and operations for the entire underground mine.
Health and Safety Management
- Manage adherence of electrical maintenance to all HSLP, Environment and Social Responsibility requirements under Newmont’s Integrated Management System, Newmont vision and values.
- Oversee and manage electrical compliance for the underground mine and associated infrastructure through the delivery of statutory inspections, audits and reports.
- Accept responsibility for the health and safety of every employee under or assigned to his / her supervision.
- Conduct periodic safety meetings and inspections.
- Support risk assessments for high risk jobs and provide expert advice for safety with electricity.
The above duties and responsibilities are representative of the nature and level of work assigned and are not necessarily all-inclusive.
Training & Experience
Formal Qualification (including Professional Registrations):
- Bachelors’ Degree in Electrical / Electronic Engineering or other recognized equivalent qualification.
- Sectional Engineering Certification of competency / MINCOM Certification.
- Demonstrable knowledge of mining or heavy industry maintenance practices, principles and standards.
- Advanced knowledge of industrial work management processes.
- Advanced knowledge of defect elimination methodologies and their interpretation.
- Knowledge of and experience with Reliability Centered Maintenance programs.
- Demonstrable knowledge of and experience with High Voltage switching and reticulation systems.
- Knowledge of underground mining electrical systems is highly desirable.
- Strong knowledge of electrical control systems.
- Proven working knowledge of CMMS programs.
- Strong knowledge of planning and scheduling maintenance activities.
- Knowledge of and experience with the maintenance practices for large electric motors.
- Advanced knowledge of the statutory regulations relevant to safety and the environment for the mining industry.
- Minimum of 7 years’ experience in the field of electrical and instrumentation engineering or maintenance.
- Proven experience with the installation, commissioning, maintenance, servicing, inspection and repair of electrical apparatus and installations in a large scale mining or heavy industry operation.
- Minimum of 3 years’ experience supervising electrical engineering or maintenance teams.
- Underground mining experience is highly desirable.
- Advanced analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Well-developed written and verbal communication and interpersonal skills.
- Advanced computer literacy skills – MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook), CMMS/ERP and MS Project.
- Advanced information monitoring and management skills.
- Possess good planning and organising skills.
- Possess good time management and task prioritisation skills.
- Be experienced with document management.
- Contract management experience desirable.
- Quality management skills.
- Demonstrate good report writing skills.
- Be able to prepare and deliver presentations.
- Advanced project/programme management skills.
- Strong coaching and mentoring skills.
- Ability to provide management and support staff with clear and detailed information or guidance to perform their assigned roles.
- Ability to use maintenance planning tools (i.e. SAP).
- Ability to interpret mechanical and electrical engineering drawings, blueprints and manuals.
- Strong decision-making skills.
- Strong instrumentation and process control skills.
- Strong people management skills.
- Strong consultation, negotiation and conflict resolution skills.
- Safety conscious.
- Methodical and logical.
- Display initiative.
- Neat, tidy and well organised.
- Results orientated.
- Be pro-active.
- Pay attention to detail.
- Work well under pressure.
- Follow through on tasks.
- Team player.
- Be able to work to deadlines.
- Flexible in the approach to work.
- Lateral thinking.
- Deliver work to a high standard of quality.
Position is in a very remote location. The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representatives of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform essential functions of this job.
- Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, and ability to adjust focus.
- Work Environment: The employee is required to operate in a safety-critical environment with hazardous materials and potentially harmful / dangerous machinery and equipment. The employee will be required to work underground. The employee occasionally is exposed to electrical hazards of both high and low voltage. The employee may also be exposed to fumes, high temperature hazardous materials, sharp edges, dust, pinch-points, vibration, slippery surfaces etc.
- Protective Equipment (PPE): Work requires mandatory PPE such as helmet, goggles, high visible clothing, safety harness, ear plugs and dust mask.