Newmont Mining Corporation is a leading global gold producer with key assets in Nevada, Peru, Australia, Ghana and Suriname.
Newmont’s Africa Operations holds two gold mining operations in Ghana: the Ahafo Mine located in the Brong-Ahafo region and the Akyem Mine located in the Eastern region. There is also near mine exploration and development focus in Ghana to annually replace gold reserves. Newmont Africa also has early-stage exploration programs in the African countries of Ethiopia and Morocco.
Our Africa operations employ approximately 5,900 employees and contractors, with the majority working at the Ahafo Mine. We offer an unparalleled blend of opportunity and career satisfaction with all the benefits you would expect from a global company. This, combined with our growth opportunities, makes Newmont a great company to work.
Our Akyem and Ahafo mines have made significant sustainable community development investments in our host communities. These include establishing Development Funds at our Akyem and Ahafo operational areas with each mine contributing US$1 per ounce of gold sold and 1% of net pre-tax annual profit into its community development fund.
The only gold company listed in the S&P 500 index, Newmont in 2007 became the first gold company selected to be part of the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index. Newmont’s industry leading performance is reflected through our Africa operations’ high standards in environmental management, health and safety for our workforce and creating value and opportunity for our employees, host communities and Newmont’s shareholders.
Job Title: Boilermaker
To fabricate, install, maintain and repair structural and steel components, as per project and maintenance requirements for the Process Plant.
Fabrication Operations and Maintenance
- Execute on all practical and technical work relevant to boiler making is completed in a safe, timely and reliable manner.
- Provide practical and technical assistance relevant to the Process Plant with respect to welding and fabrications.
- Identify, resolve and correct all technical issues detected.
- Analyse related problems and provide solutions to improve the efficiency and effectiveness of the processing operations.
- Fabricate detailed drawings of the components required.
- Utilise hand tools, portable electrical tools and maintenance shop equipment safely and effectively.
- Undertake fabrication, maintenance and installation, according to specifications / drawings, including:
- fabricating new pipe lines and repairing damaged pipe lines.
- repairing of ball and sag mill feed chutes and spouts.
- repairing apron feeder chain and/or tracking and replacing of the pans.
- lancing of worn out primary crusher manganese mantle liner.
- changing out of primary crusher spider sleeve and head nut.
- changing out of pebble crusher bowl & mantle and main frame liners.
- completing welding of Vida blocks on spider arm liners.
- changing side rails and back plates on vibrating screens.
- changing of rusted hand rails.
- fabricating launder.
- rebuilding agitator drive shaft and installation.
- Follow laid down Standard Task Procedures in the execution of tasks.
- Support the mechanical maintenance section, as required.
- Attend to structural breakdowns.
- Provide practical and technical assistance relevant to the trade to the Mechanical Supervisor.
- Conduct thorough shift handover, detailing all relevant information for the incoming crew.
- Report and record all necessary shift information in log books.
- Work with the Mechanical Supervisor to maintain optimal mechanical performance of the Process Plant.
- Participate in continuous improvement programs which will assist in enhancing the performance of the Ahafo Process Plant operation.
- Contribute to the development of Standard Task Procedures (STP’s).
- Work within strict quality standards and tolerance measures to support the function in terms of quality assurance.
- Contribute to the reduction of maintenance backlogs.
Health, Safety and Environment
- Deliver own prescribed outcomes and / or provide support services, by applying Newmont’s Health, Safety and Environment systems, policies and protocols.
- Maintain general housekeeping of tools utilised.
- Assure that safety standards are adhered to.
- Eliminate any safety hazards caused by electrical
- Maintain records of boiler making maintenance and repair work.
- Compile reports on field observations and factor results into weekly / fortnightly planning.
- Produce daily reports indicating the jobs completed for the day and submit the report to the Mechanical Supervisor.
Work Scheduling and Allocation
- Accomplish work objectives by determining own daily work and prioritisation schedule.
- Coordinate with support services and assign short-term tasks to other Technicians, as necessary.
- Respond to inquiries and instructions in a professional manner.
- Complete all works, as prescribed in the works order.
- Close all works orders on completion of tasks.
Training & Experience
Formal Qualification (including Professional Registrations):
- Diploma or relevant certification in Mechanical Engineering.
- Extensive knowledge in welding and fabrication.
- Knowledge in pipe design and development.
- Knowledge of maintenance principles and industry standards.
- Knowledge of the work management process.
- Knowledge of planning and scheduling.
- Minimum of 3 years’ experience in welding and fabrication environment within a process plant mining capacity.
- Experience in basic measurements and calculations.
- Sound analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Sound communication (written and verbal) and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to understand the procedure for installations.
- Ability to understand basic measurements and calculations.
- Ability to troubleshoot, check tolerances and use precision measuring tools.
- Ability to identify problems and to report by using technical names of equipment / parts.
- Ability to use Oxy / acetylene, 9’’ & 5″ grinding machine, Arc welding machine set, Thermal lance, welding shield and other specialized welding equipment.
- Ability to understand the procedure of installation.
- Ability to interpret technical drawings or blueprints.
- Ability to use AutoCAD.