Newmont Mining Corporation is a leading global gold producer with key assets in Nevada, Peru, Australia, Ghana and Suriname.
Newmont’s Africa Operations holds two gold mining operations in Ghana: the Ahafo Mine located in the Brong-Ahafo region and the Akyem Mine located in the Eastern region. There is also near mine exploration and development focus in Ghana to annually replace gold reserves. Newmont Africa also has early-stage exploration programs in the African countries of Ethiopia and Morocco.
Our Africa operations employ approximately 5,900 employees and contractors, with the majority working at the Ahafo Mine. We offer an unparalleled blend of opportunity and career satisfaction with all the benefits you would expect from a global company. This, combined with our growth opportunities, makes Newmont a great company to work.
Our Akyem and Ahafo mines have made significant sustainable community development investments in our host communities. These include establishing Development Funds at our Akyem and Ahafo operational areas with each mine contributing US$1 per ounce of gold sold and 1% of net pre-tax annual profit into its community development fund.
The only gold company listed in the S&P 500 index, Newmont in 2007 became the first gold company selected to be part of the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index. Newmont’s industry leading performance is reflected through our Africa operations’ high standards in environmental management, health and safety for our workforce and creating value and opportunity for our employees, host communities and Newmont’s shareholders.
Job Title: Geological Technician I
This role shall assist the exploration senior geologist in the day to day scanning of drilled core from surface and underground. Required to operate and manage the company’s hyperspectral core imaging system for the scanning of drill core and other mineral samples and for the processing and quality control of hyperspectral data and associated sensor data.
- Perform core scanning daily and timely from surface and underground for processing. Check core blocks to ensure accuracy of hole IDs, core-tray labels and core depth indicated by drillers.
- Correctly prepare core trays and mineral samples ready for scanning and Perform routine system calibration per the procedures in place
- undertake basic maintenance procedures including mechanical component greasing (use of grease guns), system cleaning and system testing
- Undertaking computer-based data processing and QC processes
- Perform general job management, documentation with progress reporting
- Liaise and work with other team members in the Preparation of drill core for logging by putting on meter marks and indicating core loss zones. Ensure sample tags are prepared after geologist has logged and put in sample breaks.
- Carryout core sampling based on cut sheet generated by geologist and appropriately place samples in correct bags with labels and insert recommended CRMs for assaying
- Maintain stock levels of scanning consumables (e.g. grease/grease guns etc.) and raise supply order to replenish depleted stocks timely
Safety and Environment
- Participate and contribute to safe practice and environmental awareness
- Actively participate in all Newmont Ghana safety and environmental systems and initiatives.
- Demonstrate personal commitment in regard to safety and environmental practices.
- Identification of potential hazards and action that is appropriately taken.
- Maintenance of a high standard of efficiency, safety and effectiveness
- Raising, discussion and resolution of safety issues at regular meeting
Training & Experience
- Medium level computer skills
- Competency with Windows File Explorer for moving and copying files.
- Basic understanding of Microsoft Excel or similar for use with daily reporting.
- Demonstrated ability in the operation of the hyperspectral imaging system.
- Ability to correctly prepare core trays and mineral samples ready for scanning
- Ability to perform routine system calibration procedures
- Ability to complete routine/scheduled maintenance procedures
- Ability to undertake basic maintenance procedures including mechanical component greasing (use of grease guns), system cleaning and system testing
- A minimum of 3 years coreshed and core processing experience
Skills and Abilities:
- Medium level computer literacy
- Experience or demonstrated ability in operating electronic measuring equipment such as geological or geophysical sensors
- Good attention to detail
- Well organized and ability to follow process
- Good record keeping skills
- Good communication skills
- Strong knowledge of core handling activities
- A demonstrated ability to work in a team environment.
- Sound administration and Microsoft Excel skills.
- Be self-motivated.
- Surface mining conditions.
- Potential for dust particles.
- Noise exposure within the requirements for earplugs or/and ear muffs.
Our business success comes from the accomplishments and well-being of our employees and contractors. Our goal is to build a workplace culture that fosters leaders and allows every person to thrive, contribute, and grow. We are committed to selecting and developing our employees, and to establishing a work environment where everyone can take an active part in reaching our strategic goals while feeling a sense of pride in working at Newmont.