Posted on :
15 Jul, 2020
15 Jul, 2020
Newmont Mining Corporation is a leading global gold producer with key assets in Nevada, Peru, Australia, Ghana and Suriname.
Newmont’s Africa Operations holds two gold mining operations in Ghana: the Ahafo Mine located in the Brong-Ahafo region and the Akyem Mine located in the Eastern region. There is also near mine exploration and development focus in Ghana to annually replace gold reserves. Newmont Africa also has early-stage exploration programs in the African countries of Ethiopia and Morocco.
Our Africa operations employ approximately 5,900 employees and contractors, with the majority working at the Ahafo Mine. We offer an unparalleled blend of opportunity and career satisfaction with all the benefits you would expect from a global company. This, combined with our growth opportunities, makes Newmont a great company to work.
Our Akyem and Ahafo mines have made significant sustainable community development investments in our host communities. These include establishing Development Funds at our Akyem and Ahafo operational areas with each mine contributing US$1 per ounce of gold sold and 1% of net pre-tax annual profit into its community development fund.
The only gold company listed in the S&P 500 index, Newmont in 2007 became the first gold company selected to be part of the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index. Newmont’s industry leading performance is reflected through our Africa operations’ high standards in environmental management, health and safety for our workforce and creating value and opportunity for our employees, host communities and Newmont’s shareholders.
Job Title: Industrial Hygienist
• To coordinate and maintain the occupational hygiene program and systems at Akyem
• To operate monitoring systems that evaluate risks associated with exposures to chemical, physical, biological and ergonomic hazards
In This Role You Will
• Coordinate the operation of the Akyem occupational hygiene (OH) program
• Develop and implement physical and chemical exposure monitoring and assessment studies
• Recommend mitigation programs to protect the health of Newmont employees
• Provide advice and assistance in the approach to resolving issues regarding hygiene and occupational health concerns
• Communicate new developments to the operation to increase the effectiveness of the monitoring programs and ensure staff are conversant with the latest techniques and regulations.
• Provide technical training and informational presentations to keep staff and management aware of Hygiene and Occupational Health concerns, programs and regulatory issues
• Compile summary statistics and reports based on conducted assessments and measurements
• Prepare OH reports for site, as directed by the H&S Manager
Training & Experience
Formal Qualification (including Professional Registrations)
• Bachelors’ Degree in the Sciences or related field
• Advanced Certificate in Occupational Hygiene is preferable
• Sound knowledge of Safety and Industrial Hygiene Legislative requirements
• Solid understanding of Safety Management Systems and Newmont Technical Standards related to Occupational Hygiene
• Foundational knowledge of risk management processes
• Minimum of 3 – 5 years’ work experience as an Industrial Hygienist in a Mining and/or Heavy industry environment
• Incumbent carries out hygiene measurements of working areas which have high noise levels, high exposure to hazardous environments and confined spaces
• Incumbent may experience conflicting demands from manager and matrix reporting manager
• Although normal working hours are between 7am-4pm, incumbent occasionally works beyond this time and no overtime is required to be paid