Newmont Mining Corporation is a leading global gold producer with key assets in Nevada, Peru, Australia, Ghana and Suriname.
Newmont’s Africa Operations holds two gold mining operations in Ghana: the Ahafo Mine located in the Brong-Ahafo region and the Akyem Mine located in the Eastern region. There is also near mine exploration and development focus in Ghana to annually replace gold reserves. Newmont Africa also has early-stage exploration programs in the African countries of Ethiopia and Morocco.
Our Africa operations employ approximately 5,900 employees and contractors, with the majority working at the Ahafo Mine. We offer an unparalleled blend of opportunity and career satisfaction with all the benefits you would expect from a global company. This, combined with our growth opportunities, makes Newmont a great company to work.
Our Akyem and Ahafo mines have made significant sustainable community development investments in our host communities. These include establishing Development Funds at our Akyem and Ahafo operational areas with each mine contributing US$1 per ounce of gold sold and 1% of net pre-tax annual profit into its community development fund.
The only gold company listed in the S&P 500 index, Newmont in 2007 became the first gold company selected to be part of the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index. Newmont’s industry leading performance is reflected through our Africa operations’ high standards in environmental management, health and safety for our workforce and creating value and opportunity for our employees, host communities and Newmont’s shareholders.
Job Title: Maintenance Engineer
About This Role
- Provide support to site AM teams with technical maintenance engineering/advising needs including facilitating and overseeing technical inspections, managing technical vendors on sites, and providing guidance to scope out complex maintenance work.
- Drive site implementation of best practices and standards developed by Reliability Engineers and subject matter expert groups within the AM OSN including Hydrocarbon Management and Asset Integrity.
- Communicate global AM best practices and technical vision at a site level.
In This Role You Will
Safety and Health
- Demonstrate proactive leadership in achieving a global Newmont culture of safety and health.
- Actively promote Newmont’s safety standards and improvement initiatives.
Support Site Asset Management Teams with Technical Engineering Expertise
- Implement solutions for gaps or challenges faced by site AM teams relating to maintenance engineering support.
- Ensure site AM teams are supported with best-in-class technical support when planning complex tasks, selecting and managing technical vendors, and conducting inspections.
- Provide training of site personnel to support Asset Management programs including hydrocarbon management and condition monitoring.
- Lead inspections and root cause analysis investigations at site
Ensure Governance and Successful Execution of Asset Management Operating Support Network on Sites
- Identify and mitigate challenges at sites relating to execution and governance of global reliability engineering, hydrocarbon management, and asset integrity programs and recommendations.
- Act as site champion for Asset Management programs.
Your Training, Skills & Experience Checklist
Formal Qualification (including Professional Registrations):
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering, a technical diploma, or equivalent industry experience
- ERP system experience desirable.
- Understanding of reliability principles and data driven insights.
- Minimum 2 years of experience in heavy industry.
- Experience in utilizing data insights and analysis to drive key business and improvement decisions.
- Experience with manual and computerized maintenance planning systems.
- Experience with change, communication and knowledge management methodologies.
- Experience in implementing Asset Management principles and best practices across multiple sites.
- Experience using analytical tools and processes that improve Asset Management performance, reliability and safety, reducing operating costs and maximizing return on assets.
- Experience with root cause analysis of production loss and development of successful solutions to reduce losses.
- Experience facilitating statutory / regulatory requirements.
- Demonstrate strong interpersonal skills and ability to drive performance improvement initiatives in a complex and global organization.
- Ability to quickly assess information to diagnose problems and opportunities, with a track record of strong professional judgement and critical thinking.
- Ability to manage tasks both in-person and virtually.
- Ability to manage and influence stakeholders across different functions and between site and central teams.
- Demonstrate ability to create data-driven business decisions.
- Deadline driven.
- Safety conscious.
- Team player.
- Results driven.
- Position is located at Akyem.
- Position may be required to travel domestically and internationally.
- Flexible hours required to accommodate global nature of work.
Our business success comes from the accomplishments and well-being of our employees and contractors. Our goal is to build a workplace culture that fosters leaders and allows every person to thrive, contribute, and grow. We are committed to selecting and developing our employees, and to establishing a work environment where everyone can take an active part in reaching our strategic goals while feeling a sense of pride in working at Newmont.