Newmont Mining Corporation is a leading global gold producer with key assets in Nevada, Peru, Australia, Ghana and Suriname.
Newmont’s Africa Operations holds two gold mining operations in Ghana: the Ahafo Mine located in the Brong-Ahafo region and the Akyem Mine located in the Eastern region. There is also near mine exploration and development focus in Ghana to annually replace gold reserves. Newmont Africa also has early-stage exploration programs in the African countries of Ethiopia and Morocco.
Our Africa operations employ approximately 5,900 employees and contractors, with the majority working at the Ahafo Mine. We offer an unparalleled blend of opportunity and career satisfaction with all the benefits you would expect from a global company. This, combined with our growth opportunities, makes Newmont a great company to work.
Our Akyem and Ahafo mines have made significant sustainable community development investments in our host communities. These include establishing Development Funds at our Akyem and Ahafo operational areas with each mine contributing US$1 per ounce of gold sold and 1% of net pre-tax annual profit into its community development fund.
The only gold company listed in the S&P 500 index, Newmont in 2007 became the first gold company selected to be part of the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index. Newmont’s industry leading performance is reflected through our Africa operations’ high standards in environmental management, health and safety for our workforce and creating value and opportunity for our employees, host communities and Newmont’s shareholders.
Job Title: Undg Mine Maintenance Foreman
To supervise the control and instrumentation maintenance personnel and activities for the underground mine with the aims of ensuring equipment is maintained in a fit for purpose and safe condition, delivering optimum plant and equipment availability, minimizing unplanned maintenance tasks and reducing maintenance costs.
- Supervision of the control and instrumentation maintenance team to ensure they are capable of meeting the business requirements of the underground mine.
- Assist with the development and implementation of maintenance strategies based in RCM techniques, budgets and plans to ensure the maximum availability of electrical apparatus and installations at optimum cost.
- Supervise and perform servicing and maintenance on all electrical, instrumentation and control systems equipment, in line with approved maintenance standards to achieve the required plant and equipment availability.
- Conduct troubleshooting of all the electrical and control systems including communication equipment installed ensuring there effective repair and operation.
- Communicate with maintenance, operational and planning personnel to identify, plan, estimate and organise the proper labor, services, equipment and skills to ensure they are available as required.
- Collaborate with the supply chain department and maintenance planning to ensure that all the necessary maintenance parts, materials and supplies are available to maintain the underground mine and associated facilities.
- Assist with the development and review of the maintenance standard task procedures (STPs).
- Provide input into failure analysis studies and recommend alternative strategies for maintenance.
- Collect and analyze data to propose changes in the underground mine maintenance procedures and / or electrical designs.
- Assist with the review and approval all electrical drawings and make recommendations and modifications based on technical standards and procedures.
- Work in conjunction with the maintenance and planning teams to determine electrical maintenance backlogs, scheduling, resource allocation and equipment shutdown planning.
- Be responsible for the efficient management of spare parts and materials.
- Review and make recommendations to the General foreman, Superintendent and other senior management on areas of improvement.
- Provide hands-on assistance during C&I maintenance activities and ensure that safe work practices are followed.
- Assist the E & I general foreman and the Ghana Grid Company personnel to resolve issues that will hinder the delivery of a reliable and stable electrical power supply to the underground mine that complies with the technical requirements of the business..
- Assist with the adherence of electrical maintenance to all HSLP, Environment and Social Responsibility requirements under Newmont’s Integrated Management System, Newmont vision and values.
- Oversee and manage electrical compliance for the underground mine and associated infrastructure through the delivery of inspections, audits and reports.
- Produce audit reports on internal electrical standards for IMS and oversee all corrective actions.
- Ensure that shift handover and other meetings as required are conducted in an efficient and orderly manner.
- Attend and conduct regular meetings with the C & I maintenance team and other departments and personnel as required ensuring that the appropriate information is gathered or disseminated.
- Assist with the preparation and review of the annual maintenance budget and cost reports.
- Assist with the preparation and review of quarterly financial forecasts.
- Engage with key stakeholders in development of asset management strategies for C & I apparatus and installations.
Training & Experience
Formal Qualification (including Professional Registrations):
- Bachelors’ Degree in an Electrical or Electronic Engineering field or other recognized equivalent qualification is highly desirable.
- Electrical or instrumentation trade qualification or equivalent is required as a minimum.
- PLC programming qualifications are highly desirable.
- Inspecting or Sectional Engineering Certification of competency / MINCOM Certification is highly desirable.
- Demonstrable knowledge of mining or heavy industry maintenance practices, principles and standards.
- Advanced knowledge of industrial work management processes.
- Advanced knowledge of defect elimination methodologies and their interpretation.
- Knowledge of and experience with Reliability Centered Maintenance programs.
- Demonstrable knowledge of and experience with electrical distribution and control systems.
- Demonstrable knowledge of PLC’s and programming.
- Knowledge of underground mining electrical systems is highly desirable.
- Minimum of 4 years’ experience in the field of electrical and instrumentation engineering or maintenance.
- Proven experience with the installation, commissioning, maintenance, servicing, inspection and repair of electrical apparatus and installations in a large scale mining or heavy industry operation.
- Minimum of 2 years’ experience supervising electrical engineering or maintenance teams.
- Underground mining experience is highly desirable
- Advanced analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Well-developed written and verbal communication and interpersonal skills.
- Advanced computer literacy skills – MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook), CMMS/ERP and MS Project.
- Advanced information monitoring and management skills.
- Possess good planning and organising skills.
- Possess good time management and task prioritisation skills.
- Be experienced with document management.
- Contract management experience desirable.
- Quality management skills.
- Demonstrate good report writing skills.
- Be able to prepare and deliver presentations.
- Advanced project/programme management skills.
- Strong coaching and mentoring skills.
- Ability to provide management and support staff with clear and detailed information or guidance to perform their assigned roles.
- Ability to use maintenance planning tools (i.e. SAP).
- Ability to interpret mechanical and electrical engineering drawings, blueprints and manuals.
- Safety conscious.
- Methodical and logical.
- Display initiative.
- Neat, tidy and well organized
- Results orientated.
- Be pro-active
- Pay attention to detail.
- Work well under pressure.
- Follow through on tasks.
- Team player.
Position is in a very remote location. The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representatives of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform essential functions of this job.
- Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, and ability to adjust focus.
- Work Environment: The employee is required to operate in a safety-critical environment with hazardous materials and potentially harmful / dangerous machinery and equipment. The employee will be required to work underground. The employee occasionally is exposed to electrical hazards of both high and low voltage. The employee may also be exposed to fumes, high temperature hazardous materials, sharp edges, dust, pinch-points, vibration, slippery surfaces etc.
- Protective Equipment (PPE): Work requires mandatory PPE such as helmet, goggles, high visible clothing, safety harness ear plugs and dust mask.