Newmont Mining Corporation is a leading global gold producer with key assets in Nevada, Peru, Australia, Ghana and Suriname.
Newmont’s Africa Operations holds two gold mining operations in Ghana: the Ahafo Mine located in the Brong-Ahafo region and the Akyem Mine located in the Eastern region. There is also near mine exploration and development focus in Ghana to annually replace gold reserves. Newmont Africa also has early-stage exploration programs in the African countries of Ethiopia and Morocco.
Our Africa operations employ approximately 5,900 employees and contractors, with the majority working at the Ahafo Mine. We offer an unparalleled blend of opportunity and career satisfaction with all the benefits you would expect from a global company. This, combined with our growth opportunities, makes Newmont a great company to work.
Our Akyem and Ahafo mines have made significant sustainable community development investments in our host communities. These include establishing Development Funds at our Akyem and Ahafo operational areas with each mine contributing US$1 per ounce of gold sold and 1% of net pre-tax annual profit into its community development fund.
The only gold company listed in the S&P 500 index, Newmont in 2007 became the first gold company selected to be part of the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index. Newmont’s industry leading performance is reflected through our Africa operations’ high standards in environmental management, health and safety for our workforce and creating value and opportunity for our employees, host communities and Newmont’s shareholders.
Job Title: Site Security Manager
Leads all elements of NGRL Security in accordance with established Newmont Policies and procedures and to apply the best practices of industrial security to the protection of the company personnel, assets, processes and product.
- Conduct security assessments for Akyem site departments.
- Keep abreast of best practices and emerging security technologies.
- Develop and implement Akyem security awareness programs.
- Ensure theft, fraud and loss prevention measures are properly implemented.
- Conduct investigations on reported theft/incident
- Make recommendations on improved safety or identified areas.
- Identify and develop Akyem security contract tender specifications and performance requirements and measures.
- Identify and agree security resource requirements.
- Participate as a key member of the contractor selection adjudication panel.
- Manage the security contract, including execution of security tasks to the appropriate standard at fixed installations, roving patrols, a security operations center, and investigative and analytical functions.
- Manage relationship with security contract service provider.
- Track contractor performance as per SLA and manage any non-conformance and performance.
- Negotiate additional resource requirements and changes to the main contract.
- Plan for emergency preparedness and contingencies, and function as a crisis management team member.
- Develop and maintain security portions of civil disturbance contingency plans, and assist in development, rehearsal, and preparedness of site evacuation plans.
- Plan, develop, and effectively implement training programs for internal and external security resources.
- Responsible for training and development of a multi-cultural workforce.
- Manage performance and develop internal security resources.
- Plan and execute succession plan for key positions.
Planning and Reporting
- Prepare, perform analyses, and report data to management.
- Develop, plan, and implement an annual operations plan.
- Participate as part of the SLT in providing input on all decisions regarding security.
- Develop and manage Security budgets.
Relationship with Local Law Enforcement
- Liaison effectively with local and regional civil authorities, police, military, and community groups. Work closely with these groups, and with the Community Relations team, to address issues in the community before they become security problems.
- Responsibility for the security across a geographically large area, and including frequent interfacing with local elected officials, bureaucrats, and police and military officials.
- Ensure compliance with applicable international and local laws (including FCPA and commitments of Voluntary Principle member companies), as well corporate directed policies and regulations concerning working with private security companies and governmental organizations.
- Advice and support to the Akyem leadership team on security matters.
- Ensure that security is incorporated in routine operations, forecasting, and strategic planning.
- Develop and implement effective site wide awareness programs
The above duties and responsibilities are representative of the nature and level of work assigned and are not necessarily all-inclusive.
Training & Experience
Formal Qualification (including Professional Registrations):
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent certificate/experience in the fields of Security Management, Emergency management, Criminal Justice and Military Management or related discipline.
- Internationally recognized professional qualification and certification in Security preferably. ASIS or equivalent International certification, e.g. Physical Security Professional (PSP) or Certified Protection Professional (CPP) or any equivalent international Security certification.
- Knowledge of the organizational structure and management team.
- Knowledge of vendors and suppliers applicable to the department.
- Knowledge of internal administration and communication processes, procedures and systems.
- Knowledge of the organization’s invoicing and requisition processes, procedures and systems.
- Eligible to obtain a permit to carry firearms and training in the use of firearms.
- Knowledge and experience within the security industry is required.
- A minimum of 10+ years of relevant Africa work experience.
- Prior experience working with an expatriate work force.
- Strong Supervisory and Management experience.
- Strong analytical skills and business acumen to make sound decisions and recommendations.
- Excellent interpersonal and organizational skills with good oral and written communication skills.
- Strong PC Skills, including MS Office, Word Excel, Power Point and outlook applications.
- Excellent people skills.
- Communication (written and verbal) and interpersonal skills.
- Computer literacy skills – MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook).
- Information monitoring and management skills.
- Planning, organizing and prioritizing skills.
- Administrative skills.
- Detail focused.
- Results driven.
- Team player.
- Work efficiently.
- Position is in a very remote location. The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representatives of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform essential functions of this job.
- Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, and ability to adjust focus.
- Physical Demands: While performing the duties of the job, the employee is required to sit at a desk for extended periods, climb stairs, walk and stand.
- Work Environment: The noise level in the office work environment is minimal.
Our business success comes from the accomplishments and well-being of our employees and contractors. Our goal is to build a workplace culture that fosters leaders and allows every person to thrive, contribute, and grow. We are committed to selecting and developing our employees, and to establishing a work environment where everyone can take an active part in reaching our strategic goals while feeling a sense of pride in working at Newmont.