Newmont Mining Corporation is a leading global gold producer with key assets in Nevada, Peru, Australia, Ghana, and Suriname.
Newmont’s Africa Operations holds two gold mining operations in Ghana: the Ahafo Mine located in the Brong-Ahafo region and the Akyem Mine located in the Eastern region. There is also near mine exploration and development focus in Ghana to annually replace gold reserves. Newmont Africa also has early-stage exploration programs in the African countries of Ethiopia and Morocco.
Our Africa operations employ approximately 5,900 employees and contractors, with the majority working at the Ahafo Mine. We offer an unparalleled blend of opportunity and career satisfaction with all the benefits you would expect from a global company. This, combined with our growth opportunities, makes Newmont a great company to work.
Our Akyem and Ahafo mines have made significant sustainable community development investments in our host communities. These include establishing Development Funds at our Akyem and Ahafo operational areas with each mine contributing US$1 per ounce of gold sold and 1% of net pre-tax annual profit into its community development fund.
The only gold company listed in the S&P 500 index, Newmont in 2007 became the first gold company selected to be part of the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index. Newmont’s industry leading performance is reflected through our Africa operations’ high standards in environmental management, health and safety for our workforce and creating value and opportunity for our employees, host communities and Newmont’s shareholders.
Job Title: Contracts Supervisor
Under general supervision of the Contracts Manager and the Snr Supply Chain Ops Manager, this position provides Contracts Supervision support for Akyem by assisting with implementing procedures, policies, training of staff and other aspects to support NGRL Operations. The Contracts Manager currently is devoting 30% of his time to support Regional Project Commercial Group, which will significantly add to the responsibility of this position.
- Become familiar with and strictly adhere to Newmont’s Health, Safety and Environmental standards. Act as a role model in complying with and supporting these standards and practices.
- Performs day to day management of staff and staff issues – responsible for management of direct reports.
- Manages, together with the Contracts Manager, annual service contract spend of approximately US$ 250 Million for the Africa Region.
- Develops the annual Contracts Section Work Plan, and metric/KPIs to be agreed with the Contracts Manager and the Snr Supply Chain Ops Manager and executes against the Plan
- Assists with the development of departmental and section policies and procedures relating to Contracts
- Manages the implementation of department and section policies and procedures.
- Develops negotiating strategies including position definition for Newmont and contractor and participates in final negotiations.
- Secures services through acceptable contracting practices in a timely manner from the open market and/or from preferred contractors.
- Reviews contractual documents for completeness and accuracy and achieves the best value.
- Reviews market trends and maintain current awareness of new services and suppliers.
- Maintains constant liaison with operations, maintenance, engineering, warehousing and other departments in order to anticipate and respond to their needs.
- Develops higher skill levels of staff through job assignments, training and one-on-one instruction.
- Participate on Category Councils, or other strategic Contracts related work that may be assigned via the Global and or Regional SC teams.
- Manages tracking and reporting category performance metrics.
- Manages development of internal and external category profile.
- Works with all levels of the organization to implement improvement opportunities to process partner and supplier relationship management.
- Conducts site visits to contractor sites.
- Maintains process partner satisfaction metrics.
- Creates, distributes and summarizes satisfaction survey results.
- Recommends customer and supplier relationship management strategies to contracting professionals.
- Makes the overall corporation more effective and efficient, through an understanding of local cultural norms, political and social issues.
- Demonstrates and coaches “team values” to all employees to foster a teaming culture.
- Leads change and actively sponsor’s key activities and initiatives.
- To act for the Contracts Manager, whilst he is out of the Office either on leave or business.
Training & Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Construction Management, Building Technology, Civil Engineering, Supply Chain Management, Administration, Finance or related field.
- Minimum 8-10 years of Contracts Administration experience in the mining and/or construction industry and/or in Contracts Administration in support of mining operations.
- Previous experience in remote locations is desirable.
- Must possess and demonstrate strong interpersonal skills, analytical skills and pay close attention to details.
- Demonstrate effective verbal and written communication skills.
- Must possess and demonstrate high ethical and professional standards in all dealings.
- Have a good working knowledge of MS office programs