Newmont Mining Corporation is a leading global gold producer with key assets in Nevada, Peru, Australia, Ghana and Suriname.
Newmont’s Africa Operations holds two gold mining operations in Ghana: the Ahafo Mine located in the Brong-Ahafo region and the Akyem Mine located in the Eastern region. There is also near mine exploration and development focus in Ghana to annually replace gold reserves. Newmont Africa also has early-stage exploration programs in the African countries of Ethiopia and Morocco.
Our Africa operations employ approximately 5,900 employees and contractors, with the majority working at the Ahafo Mine. We offer an unparalleled blend of opportunity and career satisfaction with all the benefits you would expect from a global company. This, combined with our growth opportunities, makes Newmont a great company to work.
Our Akyem and Ahafo mines have made significant sustainable community development investments in our host communities. These include establishing Development Funds at our Akyem and Ahafo operational areas with each mine contributing US$1 per ounce of gold sold and 1% of net pre-tax annual profit into its community development fund.
The only gold company listed in the S&P 500 index, Newmont in 2007 became the first gold company selected to be part of the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index. Newmont’s industry leading performance is reflected through our Africa operations’ high standards in environmental management, health and safety for our workforce and creating value and opportunity for our employees, host communities and Newmont’s shareholders.
Job Title: Environment Manager
To implement Newmont’s Environmental Management System and Standards, regulatory requirements and international best practice by:
- Enabling and overseeing compliance to the above
- Ensuring continuity of operations through environmental stewardship
- Implementing approved environmental plans and initiatives to reduce liabilities and risks
- Optimising the Life of Mine closure and reclamation planning for the provision of a sustainable legacy
- Manage compliance to Newmont Environmental standards, regulatory requirements and international best practice.
- Manage audits and corrective actions of the Environmental Management System.
- Regularly review and update environment standard operation procedures.
- Review and approve monthly and annual Newmont operational reports.
- Conduct audits and inspections and prepare and implement corrective actions
- Prepare and manage the implementation of the Environment workplan.
- Manage the implementation of Water, Air, Waste and Closure Management plans.
- Progress the implementation of the Akyem water strategy.
- Lead the Environment team to achieve Akyem Mine’s Public Targets on water stewardship and reclamation
- Approve use of chemicals, particularly cyanide on site.
- Manage the concurrent reclamation program.
- Approve Construction Management Plans
- Renew Environment Management Plan.
- Lead the Environment Team to optimize its performance, improve efficiencies, and maintain cost discipline
- Manage all direct reports
Health and Safety
- Lead Environment department’s contribution to the Zero Harm goal of Akyem with focus on quality Safety Interactions, Inspections, Audits, Risk Assessments & Impact Mitigation and Control Systems.
Permitting and KPI’s
- Review permitting documents.
- Renew Environment permits for key operational aspects.
- Support Akyem growth projects in the acquisition of new permits.
- Prepare and justify the environment annual budget.
- Review and approve sectional budgets.
- Review and approve purchasing requisitions.
- Review and approve contract requisition forms.
- Review and approve travel and accommodation requests.
Become familiar with and strictly adhere to Newmont’s Health, Safety and Environmental standards. Act as a role model in complying with and supporting these standards and practices.
The above duties and responsibilities are representative of the nature and level of work assigned and are not necessarily all-inclusive.
Training & Experience
Formal Qualification (including Professional Registrations):
- First Degree in Environment Sciences, Natural Resource Management, Engineering or a related field
- Knowledge of Ghanaian Environmental Regulations as they apply to mining.
- HSE Manager Competency in Minerals and Mining (Health, Safety and Technical) Regulation (LI2182)
- Thorough understanding of Environment Management Systems
- Minimum of 10 years’ environmental management experience working in the mining or related industrial operations environments
- Experienced working with ISO4001 or similar Environmental Management Systems
- Advanced interpersonal skills (interacting with diverse functional and cultural backgrounds)
- Strong communication (written and verbal) skills
- Strong analysis and problem-solving skills.
- Strong reporting skills.
- Strong planning, prioritizing and coordination skills.
- Strong consultation skills
- Strong assessment skills
- Strong auditing skills (environmental auditing)
- Sound change management skills
- Risk management skills
- Sound computer literacy skills – MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook).
- Detail Focus.
- Honesty and Integrity.
- Goal orientated.
- Quality orientation
- High level of transparency.
- Reliable and independent.
- Technically inclined.
- Ability to multitask.
- Working environment of incumbent is safe. Unsafe conditions have been identified and measures have been put in place either to eliminate or mitigate unsafe working conditions
- Most of the incumbent’s working time will be spent in the office and in the field conducting inspections and audits.
Our business success comes from the accomplishments and well-being of our employees and contractors. Our goal is to build a workplace culture that fosters leaders and allows every person to thrive, contribute, and grow. We are committed to selecting and developing our employees, and to establishing a work environment where everyone can take an active part in reaching our strategic goals while feeling a sense of pride in working at Newmont.