Newmont Mining Corporation is a leading global gold producer with key assets in Nevada, Peru, Australia, Ghana and Suriname.
Newmont’s Africa Operations holds two gold mining operations in Ghana: the Ahafo Mine located in the Brong-Ahafo region and the Akyem Mine located in the Eastern region. There is also near mine exploration and development focus in Ghana to annually replace gold reserves. Newmont Africa also has early-stage exploration programs in the African countries of Ethiopia and Morocco.
Our Africa operations employ approximately 5,900 employees and contractors, with the majority working at the Ahafo Mine. We offer an unparalleled blend of opportunity and career satisfaction with all the benefits you would expect from a global company. This, combined with our growth opportunities, makes Newmont a great company to work.
Our Akyem and Ahafo mines have made significant sustainable community development investments in our host communities. These include establishing Development Funds at our Akyem and Ahafo operational areas with each mine contributing US$1 per ounce of gold sold and 1% of net pre-tax annual profit into its community development fund.
The only gold company listed in the S&P 500 index, Newmont in 2007 became the first gold company selected to be part of the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index. Newmont’s industry leading performance is reflected through our Africa operations’ high standards in environmental management, health and safety for our workforce and creating value and opportunity for our employees, host communities and Newmont’s shareholders.
Job Title: General Foreman – Maintenance Planning
To lead and coordinate the planning and scheduling of preventive maintenance and repair work for the Process Plant and avail the access to equipment and resources, in order to:
- Plan and schedule preventative maintenance and repair work orders in to the CMMS (Ellipse / SAP).
- Plan and utilise available resources.
- Prevent possible equipment breakdowns.
- Reduce unplanned equipment maintenance.
- Provide support to all Maintenance work groups.
- Increase the reliability and availability of plant equipment.
- Verify that all maintenance work is carried out under safe conditions.
- Provide direction, training and assistance to the maintenance planners, schedulers, reliability engineers, condition monitoring technicians and data engineers.
- Establish in-house training to enhance the use of SAP by Supervisors (Maintenance & Operations) and their delegates for Work Management.
- Induct new team members in their respective MOS elements.
- Monitor and audit the performance of the Maintenance Planners, Maintenance Schedulers, Reliability Engineers, Condition Monitoring Technicians, & Data Engineers, including compliance to relevant key performance indicators.
Health and Safety Management
- Manage the adherence of maintenance teams to all HSLP, Environment and Social Responsibility requirements under Newmont’s Integrated Management System.
- Oversee and manage site-wide maintenance compliance through the delivery of statutory inspections and reports.
- Assure that applicable health and safety regulations and compliance programs are implemented.
- Accept personal responsibility for the health and safety of every employee under or assigned to his / her supervision.
- Conduct periodic safety meetings and inspections.
- Attend monthly safety inspections and meetings.
Maintenance Planning Management
- Oversee the timely completion of Work Orders in the CMMS, including input of trade hours, materials and completion coding.
- Check that Work Orders are fully planned, resourced, and scheduled prior to work commencing.
- Manage coding of work orders to suit the requirements of the budgeting tool (AMT).
- Issue the Maintenance Schedule and Work Packs to each work group.
- Manage contractors, including work orders, service orders, and tracking purchases, to utilise preferred suppliers of labor and materials and adhere to specified pre-determined rates.
- Seek detailed work completion information from Maintenance Supervisors and resolve any issues, as necessary.
- Oversee that improvement actions suggested on completed work orders are reviewed and actioned.
- Check whether Component Tracing changes are updated in the CMMS.
- Monitor and support the condition monitoring effort at Process Maintenance, including regular discussions with the Maintenance Planner and CBM to review results, trends and recommendations resulting from condition monitoring.
- Manage the Management Operating System (MOS) for Process Maintenance, specifically MOS elements MN1, MN5, MN6, MN7, MN20 and meetings M6, M7, M8, M12, M13A and M13B, which entails:
- resolving MOS Element non-conformances by direct intervention/coaching wherever possible or referring non-conformances to direct supervisor for resolution if initial efforts are not successful.
- taking action on identified improvement opportunities to the MOS Element.
- checking that all MOS Element documentation is current and approved changes to the MOS Element is communicated to all involved stakeholders.
- Inducting new team members in their respective MOS Elements.
- Monitor and improve upon the Maintenance Key Performance Indicators.
- Manage and approve all related maintenance invoices and payments timeously.
The above duties and responsibilities are representative of the nature and level of work assigned and are not necessarily all-inclusive.
Training & Experience
Formal Qualification (including Professional Registrations):
- Bachelors’ Degree in Engineering (Mechanical or Electrical).
- CMRP Certification.
- Technical qualification in Maintenance Planning / Asset Management / Safety Regulatory Compliance.
- Advanced knowledge of maintenance principles and industry standards.
- Advanced knowledge of the work management process.
- Advanced knowledge of planning and scheduling.
- Advanced knowledge of the operation of the CMMS (SAP).
- General knowledge of performance measures and their interpretation.
- General knowledge of defect elimination methodologies and their interpretation.
- Minimum of 6 – 8 years’ working experience in planning and maintenance systems in a large gold operation or similar heavy industrial site.
- Minimum of 4 – 6 years’ experience in a supervisory capacity, managing large and diverse teams.
- Advanced analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Advanced communication (written and verbal) and interpersonal skills.
- Advanced computer literacy skills – MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook) and MS Project.
- Advanced information monitoring and management skills.
- Advanced planning, organising and prioritising skills.
- Strong Asset Life Cycle Management skills.
- Strong capacity planning skills.
- Strong coaching and mentoring skills.
- Strong project management skills.
- Strong financial and budgetary administration skills.
- Ability to interpret technical reports.
- Ability to interpret mechanical and electrical engineering drawings.
- Environmental Scan.
- Goal Oriented.
- Lateral Thinking.
- Results Driven.
- Risk Taking.
- Safety Conscious.
- Team Player.
- Ability to work well under pressure.
- Ability to organise and manage multiple priorities.