Newmont Mining Corporation is a leading global gold producer with key assets in Nevada, Peru, Australia, Ghana and Suriname.
Newmont’s Africa Operations holds two gold mining operations in Ghana: the Ahafo Mine located in the Brong-Ahafo region and the Akyem Mine located in the Eastern region. There is also near mine exploration and development focus in Ghana to annually replace gold reserves. Newmont Africa also has early-stage exploration programs in the African countries of Ethiopia and Morocco.
Our Africa operations employ approximately 5,900 employees and contractors, with the majority working at the Ahafo Mine. We offer an unparalleled blend of opportunity and career satisfaction with all the benefits you would expect from a global company. This, combined with our growth opportunities, makes Newmont a great company to work.
Our Akyem and Ahafo mines have made significant sustainable community development investments in our host communities. These include establishing Development Funds at our Akyem and Ahafo operational areas with each mine contributing US$1 per ounce of gold sold and 1% of net pre-tax annual profit into its community development fund.
The only gold company listed in the S&P 500 index, Newmont in 2007 became the first gold company selected to be part of the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index. Newmont’s industry-leading performance is reflected through our Africa operations’ high standards in environmental management, health and safety for our workforce and creating value and opportunity for our employees, host communities and Newmont’s shareholders.
Job Title: Geological Technician I
This role shall assist the exploration Senior Geologist in the day to day management of drilled core from the surface and occasional visits to underground exploration drills to delivery of same to the assay lab. This role has a broad responsibility base that is partitioned into the key functions of core shed and field sampling activities. The Geological Technician will assume responsibilities for each of these functions to help ensure that all core processing KPIs are met.
- Ensure drill core is delivered to the coreshed daily and timely from surface and occasionally, underground for processing. Check core blocks to ensure accuracy of hole IDs, core-tray labels and core depth indicated by drillers.
- Prepare drill core for logging by putting on meter marks and indicating core loss zones. Ensure sample tags are prepared after geologist has logged and put in sample breaks.
- Carryout core sampling based on cut sheet generated by geologist and appropriately place samples in correct bags with labels and insert recommended CRMs for assaying.
- Maintain stock levels of drilling and sampling consumables (e.g. Core trays,core blocks, sample bags marker pens and CRM samples ) and raise supply order to replenish depleted stocks timely.
- Liaise with assay lab to ensure coarse rejects and pulp samples are periodically transported from the lab for storage.
- Work with the Senior Drilling Supervisor /Geologist to review and update core processing procedures.
- Undertake soil, met, litho-geochem sampling programs.
- Participate and contribute to safe practice and environmental awareness.
- Actively participate in all Newmont Ghana Safety and environmental systems and initiatives.
- Demonstrate personal commitment in regard to safety and environmental practices.
- Ensure the maintenance of high standards of efficiency, safety and effectiveness.
- Raise, discuss and ensure the resolution of safety issues at regular meetings.
Training & Experience
Formal Qualification (including Professional Registrations):
- Minimum JHS Certificate.
- Proficient use of balance for weight measurements (Specific Gravity, spike)
- General knowledge in Geology.
- A minimum of 3years coreshed and core processing experience.
- Previous underground experience is an added advantage.
- Strong knowledge of core handling activities.
- A demonstrated ability to work in a team environment.
- Effectively communicate with key stakeholders.
- Interpersonal skills required to liaise with Business Partners.
- Sound administration and Microsoft Excel skills.
- Be self – motivated.
- Combination of surface and occasional UG mining conditions.
- Moist wet surfaces with section of continuous water fall.
- Potential for extreme dust particles and high heat/humidity.
- Noise exposure within the requirements for earplugs or/and ear muffs.
- Dark environment which requires personal attachment of lit head gear.
- Underground conditions include step decline with section of uneven terrain.
- Unventilated areas with asphyxiating gaseous environments.
- Working with corrosive chemicals.
- Required to travel to assist in Akyem as and when required.