Newmont Mining Corporation is a leading global gold producer with key assets in Nevada, Peru, Australia, Ghana and Suriname.
Newmont’s Africa Operations holds two gold mining operations in Ghana: the Ahafo Mine located in the Brong-Ahafo region and the Akyem Mine located in the Eastern region. There is also near mine exploration and development focus in Ghana to annually replace gold reserves. Newmont Africa also has early-stage exploration programs in the African countries of Ethiopia and Morocco.
Job Title: Senior Business Analyst
Our Africa operations employ approximately 5,900 employees and contractors, with the majority working at the Ahafo Mine. We offer an unparalleled blend of opportunity and career satisfaction with all the benefits you would expect from a global company. This, combined with our growth opportunities, makes Newmont a great company to work.
Our Akyem and Ahafo mines have made significant sustainable community development investments in our host communities. These include establishing Development Funds at our Akyem and Ahafo operational areas with each mine contributing US$1 per ounce of gold sold and 1% of net pre-tax annual profit into its community development fund.
The only gold company listed in the S&P 500 index, Newmont in 2007 became the first gold company selected to be part of the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index. Newmont’s industry leading performance is reflected through our Africa operations’ high standards in environmental management, health and safety for our workforce and creating value and opportunity for our employees, host communities and Newmont’s shareholders.
To oversee the Finacial anlysi, cost controls,financial modeling , and budgeting with an emphasis on processing , analysing and reporting financial transactions associated with business activity within designated operational or support area(s). To provide and establish day-to-day business advice as well as accounting procedures within guidelines and policies established vy the Newmont Accounting Policy
Stakeholder Reporting and Business Advisory Service
- Provide management with the appropriate information for various “what if” scenarios
- Interact with department heads in the review of their cost center reports and facilitate their understanding of costs charged to their cost center
- Serve as a liaison betwen accounting, business planning and assigned operating group
- Attend assigned departmental meetings
- Execute continous improvment initiatives or opportunities within the accounting areas
Planning and Cost Control
- Coordinate , compile and analyse planned and forcasted cost performance and financial results from key stakeholders for global and external stakeholder reporting
- Resolve disputed cost center charges prior to the close
- Provide support in the control over the maintenance of cost by responsibility , activity , cost center, element and other performance indicators
- Support the AFE and PDD preparation for capital expenditures
- Review and analyse monthly financial reports to identify potential cost contrl issues
- Compile the monthly varaiance analysis of the operations, looking at budget versus, forcasts and previous plan etc. for site and corporate reporting purposes
- implement metrics and monitor results for areas of responsibillities and employees to track progress towards company and departmental goals
- Build financial models or other driver-based planned functionality for various departments, including but not limited to support areas, Finance and Treasury schedules during the yearly budget and quartely forecasts.
- Maintain a working knowlege of soft applications , accounting issues, and processes so that information is effectively and easily gathered with a high degree of accuracy
Training & Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting or Finance
- Chartered/Certified Accountant qualification is an advantage
- Knowledge of U.S Generally Accepted Accounting Procedures (GAAP)
- Knowledge of costing and budgetting concepts and techniques
- Familiar with Actvity Base Costing (ABC-Model)
- Between 4-7 years of relevant accounting experience , or 7 yearss of combination of education and experience in fainancial modeling, cost control and economic analysi, or similar.
- Mining, Construction ,utilities or other heavy industry experieince is preferred
- Experience in SAP and Business Planning Consolidation (BPC ) is preferred
- Must have experience with Computer-based accounting system
- Demonstrated people management experience and the ability to work with internal and extermnal partners and experieince with continous improvement programs and integrated systems
- Advanced analytical and problem -solving skills
- Advanced communication (written and verbal) and interpersonal skills
- Advanced computer literacy skills – MS Office 9Word,Excel, Powerpoint and Outlook
- Strong leadership and management presentation skills
- Tme management skills
- Advanced information monitoring and management skills
- coaching and mentoring skills
- Financial administration , analysis and reporting skills
- The positionis located at the Ahafo Mine Site Ghana, West Africa
- The incumbent may be required to perform work at remote and isolated construction site
- The incumbent may be required to travel to and support other domestic sites