Posted on :
11 Sep, 2020
11 Sep, 2020
Newmont Mining Corporation is a leading global gold producer with key assets in Nevada, Peru, Australia, Ghana and Suriname.
Newmont’s Africa Operations holds two gold mining operations in Ghana: the Ahafo Mine located in the Brong-Ahafo region and the Akyem Mine located in the Eastern region. There is also near mine exploration and development focus in Ghana to annually replace gold reserves. Newmont Africa also has early-stage exploration programs in the African countries of Ethiopia and Morocco.
Our Africa operations employ approximately 5,900 employees and contractors, with the majority working at the Ahafo Mine. We offer an unparalleled blend of opportunity and career satisfaction with all the benefits you would expect from a global company. This, combined with our growth opportunities, makes Newmont a great company to work.
Our Akyem and Ahafo mines have made significant sustainable community development investments in our host communities. These include establishing Development Funds at our Akyem and Ahafo operational areas with each mine contributing US$1 per ounce of gold sold and 1% of net pre-tax annual profit into its community development fund.
Job Title: Process Maintenance Mechanical Technician – Rubber Liner Technician
The only gold company listed in the S&P 500 index, Newmont in 2007 became the first gold company selected to be part of the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index. Newmont’s industry leading performance is reflected through our Africa operations’ high standards in environmental management, health and safety for our workforce and creating value and opportunity for our employees, host communities and Newmont’s shareholders.
To conduct the safe inspection, troubleshooting, replacement, repair, testing and general maintenance of conveyor belts and associated parts, according to specifications and standards, to optimise plant processing and production.
Belt and Splicing Maintenance Work
• Execute on all practical and technical work relevant to belt splicing and rubber lining is completed in a safe, timely and reliable manner.
• Perform thorough conveyor inspections.
• Identify, resolve and correct all defects detected through conveyor inspections.
• Formulate and implement effective solutions to ensure optimal functioning of the conveyor.
• Monitor the conveyor belts on an ongoing basis
• Perform routine maintenance on all belt and splicing equipment, in line with approved maintenance standards.
• Utilise hand tools, portable electrical tools and maintenance shop equipment safely and effectively.
• Undertake maintenance work to parts / equipment, including:
o changing out of conveyor belts.
o changing out of rubber lining pipes, launder, boxes, chutes.
o replacing / installing ceramic tiles in pipes, launder, boxes.
o conducting controlled sandblasting activities.
o lagging of conveyor pulleys and rollers.
o spraying sandblasted components/structures.
o replacing/installing rubber blocks in boxes and launders
o using megapoxy and nordbak to repair worn out areas (Wearing Compound).
• Follow laid down Standard Task Procedures in the installation of ceramic tiles.
• Support the mechanical maintenance section, as required.
• Attend to mechanical breakdowns.
• Identify damaged mechanical parts and repair and replace these, when necessary.
• Maintain sufficient spare availability and stock levels.
• Understand and interpret drawings of components for rubber lining and/or repairs.
• Test repaired equipment to determine the extent of effective functioning.
• Provide practical and technical assistance relevant to the trade to the Mechanical Supervisor.
• Conduct thorough shift handover, detailing all relevant information for the incoming crew.
• Report and record all necessary shift information in log books.
• Work with the Mechanical Supervisor to maintain optimal mechanical performance of the Process Plant.
• Participate in continuous improvement programs which will assist in enhancing the performance of the Ahafo Process Plant operation.
• Contribute to the development of Standard Task Procedures (STP’s).
1. Health, Safety and Environment
• Deliver own prescribed outcomes and / or provide support services, by applying Newmont’s Health, Safety and Environment systems, policies and protocols.
• Maintain general housekeeping of tools utilised.
• Assure that safety standards are adhered to.
• Eliminate any safety hazards caused by electrical defects.
• Inspect the plant to check and identify any electrical issues.
• Contribute to and attend all safety meetings
• Maintain records of belt and splicing maintenance and repair work.
• Compile reports on field observations and factor results into weekly/fortnightly planning.
• Produce daily reports indicating the jobs completed for the day and submit the report to the Mechanical Supervisor.
3. Solutions Analysis
• Troubleshoot and diagnose production equipment for emergency repairs, conduct visual inspections with guidance.
• Conduct routine equipment running checks.
• Diagnose whether to fix or replace parts/equipment / accessories.
• Analyse specified problems and issues to find the best technical solutions within OEM specifications and / drawings, and in accordance with local standards.
• Strive to reduce production/processing downtime and minimize costs.
4. Work Scheduling and Allocation
• Accomplish work objectives by determining own daily work and prioritisation schedule.
• Coordinate with support services and assign short-term tasks to other Technicians, as necessary.
• Respond to inquiries and instructions in a professional manner and nordbak to repair worn out areas (Wearing Compound).
Training & Experience
Formal Qualification (including Professional Registrations):
• Mechanical Certificate (MET) from a Technical Institution.
• Extensive knowledge in conveyor belt splicing and rubber lining.
• Knowledge of maintenance principles and industry standards.
• Knowledge of the installation procedures for the equipment and parts maintained and used.
• Minimum of 3 – 4 years’ experience in conveyor belt splicing and rubber lining.
• Experience in basic measurements and calculations.
• Sound analytical and problem-solving skills.
• Sound communication (written and verbal) and interpersonal skills.
• Sound computer literacy skills (SAP, MS Word, Outlook and other Windows applications).
• Ability to use the Vulcanising Machine.
• Ability to understand the procedure for Belt Splicing and Rubber lining.
• Ability to sandblast and paint corroded surface of components.
• Ability to interpret technical drawings or blue prints.
• Ability to troubleshoot, check tolerances and use precision measuring and calculation tools.
• Ability to identify problems and to report by using technical names of equipment parts.
• Accuracy, Detail focused.
• Hand-Eye Coordination, Independent, Quality Oriented, Reliable.
• Safety Conscious, Self-Motivated, Team Player.
• Technically Inclined, Ability to work well under pressure.
The position is in a very remote location. The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representatives of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform essential functions of this job.
o Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, and ability to adjust focus.
o Physical Demands: While performing the duties of the job, the employee is occasionally required to work in confined spaces and will be exposed to extreme vibration.
o Work Environment: The employee is occasionally required to operate in a safety-critical environment with hazardous materials and potentially harmful/dangerous machinery and equipment. The employee is occasionally exposed to noise more than 85 decibels, and to fumes, high-temperature sharp edges, dust, pinch-points, vibration, slippery surfaces, etc.
o Protective Equipment (PPE): Work requires mandatory PPE such as helmet, goggles, high visible clothing, safety harness, earplugs, and dust mask according to working conditions.