Newmont Mining Corporation is a leading global gold producer with key assets in Nevada, Peru, Australia, Ghana and Suriname.
Newmont’s Africa Operations holds two gold mining operations in Ghana: the Ahafo Mine located in the Brong-Ahafo region and the Akyem Mine located in the Eastern region. There is also near mine exploration and development focus in Ghana to annually replace gold reserves. Newmont Africa also has early-stage exploration programs in the African countries of Ethiopia and Morocco.
Our Africa operations employ approximately 5,900 employees and contractors, with the majority working at the Ahafo Mine. We offer an unparalleled blend of opportunity and career satisfaction with all the benefits you would expect from a global company. This, combined with our growth opportunities, makes Newmont a great company to work.
Our Akyem and Ahafo mines have made significant sustainable community development investments in our host communities. These include establishing Development Funds at our Akyem and Ahafo operational areas with each mine contributing US$1 per ounce of gold sold and 1% of net pre-tax annual profit into its community development fund.
The only gold company listed in the S&P 500 index, Newmont in 2007 became the first gold company selected to be part of the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index. Newmont’s industry leading performance is reflected through our Africa operations’ high standards in environmental management, health and safety for our workforce and creating value and opportunity for our employees, host communities and Newmont’s shareholders.
Job Title: Mine General Foreman – Load and Haul
ABOUT THIS ROLE:
In this role you will plan, coordinate, manage and execute short, medium and long-term operational activities of the load and haul in the pit, which include:
• Road maintenance.
IN THIS ROLE YOU WILL:
Mine Operations Planning and Execution
- Execute short, medium and long-term mine plans.
- Deliver weekly activity plan, in conjunction with Mine Maintenance, to ensure that all equipment required is ready by the end of the week.
- Oversee the completion of the plan through the provision of a strong ‘bench strength’ team and close any gaps that may constrain achievement of targets.
- Understand and manage key environmental issues with respect to the implementation of reclamation, waste disposal and spill management activities.
- Oversee all mining activities such as:
- areas to be mined and dumped.
- rate of development.
- control of mineral quality and tonnage.
- distribution of labour, supplies and equipment.
- Coordinate activities with processing plant management to ensure continuity of total operations.
- Investigate approaches to improving the meeting of mine yield targets (i.e. equipment efficiencies, tyre life).
- Manage and administer the granted budget within the stated boundaries.
- Analyze daily production and cost data to verify that the load and haul section is operating within overall production and budget forecasts.
Mine Operations Optimisation and Continuous Improvement
- Implement opportunities for continuous improvement and specifically those best suited to Mine Operations activities.
- Remain accountable in the success of the Ahafo pit operations in achieving production goals safely, at the highest levels of productivity and at the lowest level of cost.
Stakeholder Management and Engagement
- Coordinate with Planning Engineers, Grade Control Engineers, Maintenance Foremen, Processing and Underground Mine Captains, Drill and blast, dewatering in the planning, design, integration and support of Mine Operations activities.
- Coordinate, in conjunction with other Newmont departments, in identifying opportunities for improving mine efficiency and productivity.
- Coordinate the maintenance of mine equipment with the Maintenance Department.
- Liaise with the Training Department to organize the implementation of training the national workforce to sustain and improve on Newmont global best practices.
- Contribute input into all mine planning and maintenance schedules, in conjunction with the Mine Operations Superintendent.
- Oversee that Mine Operations meets established statutory standards in the operation of the mine.
- Oversee the work completed by the on-site contractors under Mine Operations and hold them accountable to quality standards.
Health and Safety Management
- Remain responsible for the implementation of Safety, Environmental, and Social Responsibility policies.
- Align the Mine Operations department with the requirement of Government of Ghana Agencies, lending institutions, shareholders’ interests, environmental, health and safety legislations and mining regulations, from a compliance perspective.
- Strictly adhere to internal Newmont health and safety standards.
- Conduct periodic safety meetings, staff meetings and safety inspections.
- Attend monthly safety inspection and meetings.
- Conduct periodic Mine operations fatality risk verifications.
- Create a suitable work environment to motivate staff, employees and contractors to achieve optimum effectiveness, productivity and operating costs.
YOUR TRAINING, SKILLS & EXPERIENCE CHECKLIST :
Formal Qualification (including Professional Registrations):
- Bachelors’ Degree in Mine/Civil Engineering, Geology or related field.
- Mine captain Certification (statutory).
- Understanding of continuous improvement concepts.
- Minimum of 8 – 10 years’ experience in an open pit mining and mine development environment, with a minimum 5 – 6 years’ experience in a supervisory capacity.
- Experience with Mine Dispatch Systems.
- Advanced analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Advanced technical communication (written and verbal) and interpersonal skills.
- Advanced computer literacy skills – MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook), MS Project and Ellipse.
- Advanced information monitoring and management skills.
- Advanced planning, organising and prioritising skills.
- Strong relationship building skills.
- Strong leadership skills.
- Strong coaching and mentoring skills.
- Strong negotiation and conflict resolution skills.
- Safety conscious.
- Accurate and Analytical.
- Detail oriented.
- Reliable and Independent.
- Results driven.
- Customer focused.
- Leading and Deciding.
- Team player.
- Technically inclined.
- Ability to work well under pressure.
- Position is located in Ahafo. The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representatives of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform essential functions of this job.
- Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, and ability to adjust focus.
- Work Environment: The noise level in the field environment is minimal. Occasional exposure to noise, fumes, high temperature hazardous materials, sharp edges, dust, pinch – points, vibration, slippery surfaces, extreme weather conditions.
- Protective Equipment (PPE): Work requires mandatory PPE such as helmet, goggles, high visible clothing, safety harness, ear plugs and dust mask according to working conditions.
- Incumbent might occasionally have to work overtime.