Newmont Mining Corporation is a leading global gold producer with key assets in Nevada, Peru, Australia, Ghana and Suriname.
Newmont’s Africa Operations holds two gold mining operations in Ghana: the Ahafo Mine located in the Brong-Ahafo region and the Akyem Mine located in the Eastern region. There is also near mine exploration and development focus in Ghana to annually replace gold reserves. Newmont Africa also has early-stage exploration programs in the African countries of Ethiopia and Morocco.
Our Africa operations employ approximately 5,900 employees and contractors, with the majority working at the Ahafo Mine. We offer an unparalleled blend of opportunity and career satisfaction with all the benefits you would expect from a global company. This, combined with our growth opportunities, makes Newmont a great company to work.
Our Akyem and Ahafo mines have made significant sustainable community development investments in our host communities. These include establishing Development Funds at our Akyem and Ahafo operational areas with each mine contributing US$1 per ounce of gold sold and 1% of net pre-tax annual profit into its community development fund.
The only gold company listed in the S&P 500 index, Newmont in 2007 became the first gold company selected to be part of the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index. Newmont’s industry leading performance is reflected through our Africa operations’ high standards in environmental management, health and safety for our workforce and creating value and opportunity for our employees, host communities and Newmont’s shareholders.
Job Title: Metallurgical Technician
About This Role:
- Do you have a minimum of 5 years of mining experience predominantly in a gold processing plant?
- Are you experienced in metallurgical laboratory activities?
- Are you interested in joining an inclusive and diverse work environment?
Join the Newmont Process Metallurgy team to assist in responding to all emergencies on-site in a safe, timely and professional manner as stated in the Ahafo emergency plan.
In This Role You Will:
Process Plant Metallurgy
- Collect samples as required by the metallurgists and assist in sample preparation and analysis.
- Carry out daily and weekly maintenance of cyanide analyzer.
- Perform metallurgical test work such as bottle roll, carbon activity and any other test work require by the metallurgist.
- Assist with weekly reagent inventory and prepare adequate reagent for operational activities such as cyanide titration.
- Inspect and clean auto samplers and report defects.
- Work with the maintenance team to achieve efficient process plant equipment performance and availability.
- Participate and contribute to the development and review of the metallurgy Sewerage Treatment Plant (STPs) and Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs).
- Participate in continuous improvement programs, which will assist in improving the performance of the metallurgical activities at process plant.
- Operate two-way radio communications clearly and concisely with Foremen, Metallurgists, Maintenance Personnel and other Operators and align with instructions given.
- Complete all tasks identified in the process metallurgy Management Operating System (MOS) elements to the specified quality and timeliness as assigned to this role.
Work Scheduling and Allocation
- Plan activities according to allocated process metallurgical activities at the plant production schedules.
- Accomplish work objectives by following and executing on assigned laboratory and metallurgical activities schedule.
Health, Safety and Environment
- Maintain a high health, safety and environmental awareness.
- Monitor own and peers’ adherence to health and safety measures, protocols, production parameters and standards.
- Report any deviation from established health and safety measures and protocols to the Plant Metallurgist.
- Align with Newmont’s Health, Safety and Environmental standards.
- Act as a role model in following and supporting these standards.
Your Training, Skills & Experience Checklist:
Formal Qualification (including Professional Registrations):
- City and Guilds Certificate II & III in Metalliferous Courses
- Diploma/HND/Degree Certificate in mineral processing/industrial chemistry will have advantage.
- Advance proficiency in excel.
- Knowledge in metallurgical laboratory activities.
- Proven understanding of processing plant and laboratory equipment.
- Demonstrated experience in process plant operation, laboratory activities and metallurgical activities especially in bottle roll test, carbon activity test, plant parameters such as dissolve oxygen, cyanide titration, carbon profiling and cyanide analyzer maintenance.
- A minimum of 5 – 6 years’ operating experience in a gold processing plant with a minimum of 3 – 5 years’ experience in laboratory and metallurgical activities.
- Strong technical problem-solving skills.
- Solid understanding in excel spread sheet and laboratory analysis
- Sound decision-making ability.
- Strong operating and troubleshooting skills.
- Strong analysis and interpretation skills.
- Strong communication (written and verbal in English) and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to direct others to maintain the required output expected of an operating circuit.
- Ability to read, analyse and interpret common operational safety signage and directions.
- Ability to handle and coordinate multiple concurrent activities.
- Detail focused.
- Takes initiative.
- Safety conscious.
- Team player.
- Technically inclined.
The incumbent is entitled to built-in overtime per the work schedule (5/2 extended).
- The incumbent is required to sit at a desk for longer periods, conduct precise work and there is a continuous demand for a high degree of concentration for extended periods.
- work environment: The noise level in the control room environment is minimal, however the employee is occasionally required to operate in a safety-critical environment with hazardous materials and potentially harmful / dangerous machinery and equipment.
- Personal Protective Equipment (PPE): Work requires required PPE such as helmet, goggles, high visible clothing, safety harness, ear plugs, and dust mask based on working conditions.
- The incumbent will be exposed to unsafe situations / hazardous environments due to the nature of the work.
- The incumbent may experience extreme mental pressure and stress when performing rescue operations and both accumulated and post-traumatic stress after rescue operations.