Newmont Mining Corporation is a leading global gold producer with key assets in Nevada, Peru, Australia, Ghana and Suriname.
Newmont’s Africa Operations holds two gold mining operations in Ghana: the Ahafo Mine located in the Brong-Ahafo region and the Akyem Mine located in the Eastern region. There is also near mine exploration and development focus in Ghana to annually replace gold reserves. Newmont Africa also has early-stage exploration programs in the African countries of Ethiopia and Morocco.
Our Africa operations employ approximately 5,900 employees and contractors, with the majority working at the Ahafo Mine. We offer an unparalleled blend of opportunity and career satisfaction with all the benefits you would expect from a global company. This, combined with our growth opportunities, makes Newmont a great company to work.
Our Akyem and Ahafo mines have made significant sustainable community development investments in our host communities. These include establishing Development Funds at our Akyem and Ahafo operational areas with each mine contributing US$1 per ounce of gold sold and 1% of net pre-tax annual profit into its community development fund.
The only gold company listed in the S&P 500 index, Newmont in 2007 became the first gold company selected to be part of the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index. Newmont’s industry leading performance is reflected through our Africa operations’ high standards in environmental management, health and safety for our workforce and creating value and opportunity for our employees, host communities and Newmont’s shareholders.
Job Title: Security Manager
ABOUT THIS ROLE:
- Leads all elements of the Ahafo South operational security in accordance with established Newmont policies and procedures and to apply the best practices of industrial security (guarding and security technology) to the protection of the company personnel, contractors, visitors, assets, processes, property and product.
- This role will support, implement and manage the Newmont security strategy on site, in the region and throughout the organization.
IN THIS ROLE YOU WILL:
Threat and Risk Management/Asset Protection
- Conduct, refine and maintain Security Threat Risk Assessments (TRA), Security Vulnerability Assessments (SVA), VPSHR Risk Assessments, People Threat Management Assessments and appropriate Mitigation Action Plans for site departments.
- Set performance metrics for TRA/SVA/VPSHR Mitigation Action Plans.
- Identify staffing needs and supervise all aspects of the security function for the site and plan for LOM.
- Manage sophisticated security technologies systems, including but not limited to drone platforms, non-lethal ant-ASM counter-measures and detection systems.
- Strategically manage and oversee the deployment of security personnel, contracted guards and security technologies in a dynamic threat environment.
- Develop and implement Ahafo South’s security awareness programs.
- Plan for emergency preparedness and contingencies, and function as a crisis management team member.
- Review and maintain current Emergency Evacuation Tactical and Trigger Action plans for the site and implement new planning format in conjunction with Health and Safety and super HR Group (HR, Site Services, L&D).
- Plan, develop, and effectively implement training programs for internal and external security resources.
- Responsible for ensuring the training and development of the Security Department (employees and contractor staff) .
- Overall responsibility, management and oversight of contractor service security personnel.
- Establish and train Mobile Response Teams to include the identification of top performing contractor personnel and the deployment, integration and coordination with Public Security teams assigned to the units.
- Develop and train on technics and procedures, including the use of security specific personal protection equipment.
Planning and Reporting
- Prepare, perform analyses, report data to the Project Team, advice and provide support to the Project Leadership team on security matters.
- Develop, plan, implement an annual operations plan and ensure that security is incorporated in routine operations, forecasting, and strategic planning.
- Direct the Site Security budgeting process and manage budget by forecasting costs and monitoring expenditure to ensure cost control for the Project.
- Monitor the expenditure against the budget and confirming that spending occurs within the budgetary restrictions.
Relationship with Local Law Enforcement
- Liaising effectively with local and regional civil authorities, police, military, and community groups. Work closely with these groups, and with the Community Relations team, to address issues in the community before they become security problems.
- Responsibility for the security across a geographically large area, and including frequent interfacing with local elected officials, bureaucrats, and police and military officials.
- Drive safety culture in all aspects of security Project operations.
- Oversee that all work carried out adheres to Health and Safety standard operating procedures while delivering own prescribed outcomes and/or provide services by following Newmont’s Health and Safety systems and protocols.
- Co-ordinate the collection and analysis efforts targeted at providing timely and accurate assessments and warning of developing security threats.
- Manage Online Intelligence data collection and reporting.
YOUR TRAINING, SKILLS & EXPERIENCE CHECKLIST:
Formal Qualification (including Professional Registrations)
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent certificate and experience in the fields of Security Management, Emergency management, Criminal Justice and Military Management or related discipline.
- Internationally recognized professional qualification and certification in Security, preferably ASIS or an equivalent International certification, e.g. Physical Security Professional (PSP) or Certified Protection Professional (CPP) or any equivalent international Security certification or studying towards such a certification.
- Knowledge of the organizational structure and management team.
- Knowledge of vendors and suppliers applicable to the department.
- Knowledge of internal administration and communication processes, procedures and systems.
- Knowledge of the organization’s invoicing and requisition processes, procedures and systems.
- Project knowledge and experience.
- Knowledge and experience within the security industry is required, mining and gold room security experience preferred.
- A minimum of 10+ years of relevant Africa work experience.
- Prior experience working with an expatriate work force.
- Strong Supervisory and Management experience.
- Demonstrated successes in working collaboratively in multi-cultural teams in expatriate settings. Work in developing countries, specifically in West Africa preferred.
- Strong analytical skills and business acumen to make sound decisions and recommendations.
- Deep knowledge of and experience in security technology systems, including access control systems and alarms, CCTV and certain advanced security technology systems
- Excellent interpersonal and organizational skills with good oral and written communication skills.
- Strong PC Skills, including MS Office, Word Excel, Power Point and outlook applications.
- Information monitoring and management skills.
- Reliable and Results driven.
- Detail focused.
- Team player.
- Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, and ability to adjust focus.
- Physical Demands: While performing the duties of the job, the employee is required to sit at a desk for extended periods, climb stairs, walk, hike and stand.
- Work Environment: The noise level in the office work environment is minimal. External noise levels may be loud at times.