Newmont Mining Corporation is a leading global gold producer with key assets in Nevada, Peru, Australia, Ghana and Suriname.
Newmont’s Africa Operations holds two gold mining operations in Ghana: the Ahafo Mine located in the Brong-Ahafo region and the Akyem Mine located in the Eastern region. There is also near mine exploration and development focus in Ghana to annually replace gold reserves. Newmont Africa also has early-stage exploration programs in the African countries of Ethiopia and Morocco.
Our Africa operations employ approximately 5,900 employees and contractors, with the majority working at the Ahafo Mine. We offer an unparalleled blend of opportunity and career satisfaction with all the benefits you would expect from a global company. This, combined with our growth opportunities, makes Newmont a great company to work.
Our Akyem and Ahafo mines have made significant sustainable community development investments in our host communities. These include establishing Development Funds at our Akyem and Ahafo operational areas with each mine contributing US$1 per ounce of gold sold and 1% of net pre-tax annual profit into its community development fund.
The only gold company listed in the S&P 500 index, Newmont in 2007 became the first gold company selected to be part of the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index. Newmont’s industry leading performance is reflected through our Africa operations’ high standards in environmental management, health and safety for our workforce and creating value and opportunity for our employees, host communities and Newmont’s shareholders.
Job Title: Senior Ventilation Engineer – Brong Ahafo
The purpose of the role is to ensure that safe ventilated working conditions are met in compliance with Newmont and government minimum standards. Responsible for the design, evaluation, monitoring and implementation of the ventilation strategy in compliance with the business plan.
Ventilation System Management
- Develop an underground ventilation strategy in accordance with the business plan.
- Determine the type and size of fans required for the ventilation systems to operate at an optimal level and oversee the general arrangement of fans and ventilation ducts.
- Advise on ventilation requirements and solutions to meet the budget, 12-week forecasts and weekly plans
- Manage all underground air quality and quantity surveys and advise on solutions to address non-compliance
- Consulting on the sequence of underground work activities based on air limitations at any point in time.
- Responsible for primary ventilation monitoring and advise on limitations.
Reporting and Compliance
- Prepare departmental ventilation reports timely and accurately to meet departmental requirements, policies and quality standards.
- Statutory reporting and simulation of the underground environmental conditions.
- Participate in the identification of opportunities for continuous improvement and sustainability of systems, processes and practices considering global standards, productivity improvement and cost reduction.
- Investigate, complex engineering ventilation problems and develop solutions for the optimization of ventilation processes / systems.
Safety Health and Environment
- Participate and contribute to safe practice and environmental awareness.
- Support team members in their personal development.
- Work collaboratively with mine production and geology departments and assist other functional areas to achieve their objectives.
Training & Experience
- Bachelors’ degree in Mining Engineering
- Strong knowledge in Underground Mine Ventilation.
- Strong understanding of Underground Mining Systems and Operations.
- 7 years working in an underground mining environment of this;
- Preferred a minimum of 2 years’ experience in underground mining operational time such as blasting, drilling, haulage and service crew works.
- Preferred 3 years of previous experience in ventilation engineering
- Preferred previous experience in supervising a team
- Advanced administrative skills.
- Advanced analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Advanced communication (written and verbal) and interpersonal skills.
- Proficient in the use of mine planning software,
- Proficient in Ventsim, and Microsoft Office Software.
- Safety Conscious.
- Results Driven.
- Attention to Detail.
- Work Under Pressure.
- Combination of office and UG mining conditions.
- Moist wet surfaces with section of continuous water fall.
- Potential for extreme dust particles and high heat/humidity.
- Noise exposure within the requirements for earplugs or/and ear muffs.
- Dark environment which requires personal attachment of lit head gear.
- Underground conditions include steep decline with section of uneven terrain.
- Unventilated areas with asphyxiating gaseous environments.
- Working with corrosive chemicals
Our business success comes from the accomplishments and well-being of our employees and contractors. Our goal is to build a workplace culture that fosters leaders and allows every person to thrive, contribute, and grow. We are committed to selecting and developing our employees, and to establishing a work environment where everyone can take an active part in reaching our strategic goals while feeling a sense of pride in working at Newmont.